Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 90%  90%  [ 9 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro] 
College Boy Z

Post Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro]
My Neighbor Totoro

Quote:
My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ Tonari no Totoro), is a 1988 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Studio Ghibli. The film follows the two young daughters of a professor and their interactions with friendly wood spirits in postwar rural Japan. The film won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize and the Mainichi Film Award for Best Film in 1988.

The film was released on VHS and laserdisc in the United States by Tokuma Japan Communications' US subsidiary in 1993 with the title My Friend Totoro.

Streamline Pictures produced an exclusive dub for Japan Airlines' transpacific flights in 1988. Troma Films, under their 50th St. Films banner, distributed the dub of the film co-produced by Jerry Beck. It was released on VHS and DVD by Fox Video. Troma's and Fox's rights to this version expired in 2004. The film was re-released by Disney on March 7, 2006. It features a new dub cast. This DVD release is the first version of the film in the United States to include both Japanese and English language tracks, as Fox did not have the rights to the Japanese audio track for their version.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:22 pm
Extraordinary

Absolutely wonderful. This can be seen as a children's film but it really isn't, all of Miyazaki's films have some depth in them, he is one of my favorite directors. If you haven't seen any of Miyazaki's work, this or Spirited Away are both excellent introductions, though the US DVD only has the English dub so I don't have the DVD yet. ](*,) Can't wait for the Disney DVD version w/ the Japanese version to be released.

- A

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:50 pm
Extraordinary

On my top ten all-time favorite movie list.

This one's special...

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:25 am
Top Poster

Awesome movie! Me and my daughters have watched it a least 2 dozen times and we are still not bored with it.
A+

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: My Neighbor Totoro
My reaction was the same as after Spirited Away. It looks great, it made me smile, but the story did nothing for me. I liked it, but didn't love it.

3.5/5

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:35 am
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
My reaction was the same as after Spirited Away. It looks great, it made me smile, but the story did nothing for me. I liked it, but didn't love it.

3.5/5

It's true that it's not got a Western narrative at all, barely anything "happens" - - even less than in Spirited Away.

And I'm usually a "story rules!" kinda guy myself, but in the case of Totoro, I felt like I was literally enchanted by it's simple magic of creating a whole world that the viewer lives in for a brief but beautiful visit.

I would encourage you to give it another try a few years down the road - - I've seen it many times and each time I love it even more...

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I was going to give Totoro a B+ or so (B+ because for me, a B+ is an overall good film with almost no flaws or anything like that, but didn't really touch me I guess, and consider a B+ better than an A- most of the time. Yes, it's weird), but I watched it again and I just have to give it an A.

It's such an original, cute, and happy film. I consider a score of a film to be about the most important part of that film, and Joe Hisaishi's score is just as amazing as ever. Path of Wind ! :thumbsup:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

I haven't watched it in years, but it was one of my favorite movies when I was little. This, The Lion King, and Aladdin were those videos I watched so many times that the VHS got all screwed up. Such an imagination, this guy's got.

A-

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro]
There's a thread over on Reddit today from a person who just viewed Spirited Away for the first time. I mention this here because in the comments section I found the following insightful words:

Quote:
"Not a very masculine thing to say, but Kiki's Delivery Service was maybe my favorite of all those films and one of the best movies ever. The rest have their place but Kiki's and Totoro wrench you away from standard storytelling and make you realize how trained you've been on the standard exposition/conflict/resolution formula. They make you instantly want to throw out every modern Disney movie you own."

Totoro (and Kiki) stand at the very pinnacle of animation art and do indeed transcend traditional storytelling.

As always, I would recommend watching it first before being further tainted by outside opinion - - but if you are seeking additional accolades, consider reading Roger Ebert's Great Movies review...

Quote:
Excerpt:

"I'm afraid that in praising the virtues of ''My Neighbor Totoro'' I have made it sound merely good for you, but it would never have won its worldwide audience just because of its warm heart. It is also rich with human comedy in the way it observes the two remarkably convincing, lifelike little girls (I speak of their personalities, not their appearance). It is awe-inspiring in the scenes involving the totoro, and enchanting in the scenes with the Cat Bus. It is a little sad, a little scary, a little surprising and a little informative, just like life itself. It depends on a situation instead of a plot, and suggests that the wonder of life and the resources of imagination supply all the adventure you need."

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro]
It is cute and wonderfully drawn. I never got too invested in the story or characters, but I give it major inspiration points. Pan's Labyrinth, Bridge to Terebithia, pretty much all of the Miyazaki movies I already like - I can now see how all of these and many others are modeled after Totoro.

B-

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]