Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Majo no takkyûbin [Kiki's Delivery Service] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Majo no takkyûbin [Kiki's Delivery Service] 
College Boy Z

Post Majo no takkyûbin [Kiki's Delivery Service]
Kiki's Delivery Service

Quote:
Kiki's Delivery Service (魔女の宅急便 Majo no Takkyūbin, translated "Witch's Delivery Service") is a 1989 Japanese animated fantasy film produced, written, and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It was the fourth theatrically released Studio Ghibli film.

The film won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize in 1989. Kiki's Delivery Service is loosely based on Eiko Kadono's novel of the same name, which is the first in a series published by Fukuinkan Shoten in 1985.

According to Miyazaki the movie touches on the gulf that exists between independence and reliance in Japanese teenage girls. Going far beyond coming of age themes, the work deals with the nature of creativity and talent, and the central difficulty every person faces in becoming themselves, whether through luck, hard work or confidence: the inner film explores the same questions as the later Whisper of the Heart.

It was the first Studio Ghibli movie released under the Disney/Studio Ghibli partnership; Disney recorded an English dub in 1997, which premiered theatrically in the United States at the Seattle International Film Festival May 23, 1998. It was released on home video in the U.S. on September 1, 1998.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:21 pm
Extraordinary

This is an excellent film. It is very silent (at least the Japanese subbed version is -_-) but this film strongly grasps on strong character development. Definatly not for people that are looking for an action packed animated film but if you have seen Miyazaki's other work, your sure to at least enjoy this one.

- A

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:53 pm
Wallflower

I saw the one where Kirsten Dunst did the voice for Kiki and I enjoyed it. It was much better than the overlong, overrated, and boring Spirited Away (5/10 or C ).

Grade: 7/10 (B )

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:53 am
Killing With Kindness

A-

it has been a long time since I watched this film but I remember it being highly entertaining.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:21 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I found it very disappointing. I don't know much of Miyazaki's work, but I loved Spirited Away as it ended up being one of my all-time favorite animated flicks. This one was just mediocre. While still inventive and visually appropriate (still inferior to Spirited Away), it's story is not nearly as involving. It just never moves anywhere. Overdrawn and aimless.

I did like the cat, though, hehe.

Tue May 09, 2006 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Masterpiece. I've seen this one 25+ times and enjoy it more every time.

Miyazaki's second best film after Totoro, which unassailably sits near the top of my lifetime top ten list.

6 out of 5.

Tue May 09, 2006 7:56 pm
Extraordinary

C+

I found it very disappointing. I don't know much of Miyazaki's work, but I loved Spirited Away as it ended up being one of my all-time favorite animated flicks. This one was just mediocre. While still inventive and visually appropriate (still inferior to Spirited Away), it's story is not nearly as involving. It just never moves anywhere. Overdrawn and aimless.

Have you seen Princess Mononoke?

I think you'd really like that.

Tue May 09, 2006 7:59 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
C+

Have you seen Princess Mononoke?

I think you'd really like that.

I saw the first 20 minutes, but never more as I had to return the DVD. I'll check it out eventually.

Wed May 10, 2006 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Kiki's Delivery Service
I still need to see almost every Miyazaki film, only saw Howl's Moving Castle before Kiki's Delivery Service, but based on these two alone, I adore his films. I think I liked Kiki's Delivery Service a tad better actually. The only thing I didn't like about Kiki was the abrubt ending of sorts. I wanted to know what happened between her and the boy, GG and that white cat, the woman at the bakery (her baby), and how Kiki's life went from there (even if it was a quick look or something). Anyway, Loved it.

A-

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Kiki's Delivery Service
Corpse wrote:
The only thing I didn't like about Kiki was the abrubt ending of sorts. I wanted to know what happened between her and the boy, GG and that white cat, the woman at the bakery (her baby), and how Kiki's life went from there (even if it was a quick look or something). ]

I personally love that about Kiki and Totoro - - they're more like a slice of life, than a finite story where everything is wrapped up neatly at the end - - I feel like I'm getting a glimpse of real characters who's lives continue after the film ends...

:wub2:

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Majo no takkyûbin [Kiki's Delivery Service]
Not a huge Ghibli fan, this is the 5th one I've seen after Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. Out of those the only one I liked was Spirited Away, though I was really tired when I watched Mononoke so I may like that one better on rewatch. I appreciated the simplicity of this one, but its pace is pretty slow for me. And there are some really phoned in voice performances in the dub lol. But overall not a bad watch.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]