Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Le pacte des loups [Brotherhood of the Wolf] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Le pacte des loups [Brotherhood of the Wolf] 
College Boy Z

Post Le pacte des loups [Brotherhood of the Wolf]
Brotherhood of the Wolf

Quote:
Brotherhood of the Wolf is a 2001 French film directed by Christophe Gans, starring Samuel Le Bihan and Mark Dacascos, and written by Gans and Stéphane Cabel. Its original title is Le Pacte des loups (in French) which literally means "the pact of the wolves."

The film is loosely based on the book L'Innocence des loups ("The Innocence of the Wolves"), by the French zoologist Michel Louis, a study about a real-life series of killings that took place in France in the 18th century and the famous legend around the Beast of Gévaudan. Parts of the film were shot at Château de Roquetaillade. Despite being a historical drama film, it has anachronistic martial arts fight sequences; it also contains elements of erotica, mystery, horror, politics, romance, and fantasy.

This $29 million-budgeted film was an international box office success, grossing over $70 million in worldwide theatrical release. In the United States of America, the film also enjoyed commercial success; Universal Pictures paid $2 million to acquire the film's United States distribution rights and this film went on grossing $11,260,096 in limited theatrical release in the United States, making it the second-highest-grossing French-language film in the United States in the last two decades (this film also did brisk video and DVD sales in the United States).

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:16 am
Veteran

Wow Zing. I had no idea that you took up my request and put this in for discussion. Cheers.

Well to sum it up I quite enjoyed this film. It is based on a French myth of an events that took place during the reign of King Louis XV(set in medieval times). The English subtitles didn't distract from the viewing or pacing of the film as much as I had thought.

There several layers (splices of several genres if I dare say) of the storyline that are gradually revealed which leads up to a somewhat unexpected ending. It is a spectacle induced mess of a film in restrospect, but that also works to its anvantage. The action draws you in and holds you in suspense because everyone mainly desires to know what the dreadful 'Beast of Gevaudan' is and who the people behind it really are. Though most of you can probably guess before the end of the tale. Is it an oversized wolf as many believe, is it monster, or is it the Devil himself as fanatics claim? No one really knows in their suspended fear, a fear that paralyzed all of France for almost two years. Tie that in with aristocratic treachery, religious manipulations, prejudices of the times, and a beautiful but complicated prostitue Sylvia (Monica Bellucci..who looks divine in this btw) and you've got one wallop of a movie.

I identified the most with Mani (an Apache Indian that came over from New France, modern day French Canada) and is a blood brother to french nobleman Gregoire de Fronsac, both of whom met and probably fought each other in the Seeven Years War between the French and the Apache Indians in the New World. Mani is the silent but effective type that speaks through actions. He is close to nature and to its living things. We can see an example of this through his unspoken alliance with the wolves that roam the forest where the beast is believed to reside as well. His skills really come to play in the final hour where he hones ancient Shaman techniques during their final attempt at a hunt for the beast. The ending is a bit of a surprise but one I could except from this well crafted film. Just goes to show the The Church has their hands in many areas one would not expect.

Final thoughts: A

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:32 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Am I the only soul who has seen this film here? 8-[

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Nope. I don't really remember it because I saw it too long ago. I do remember my rating though ... boring! I'm sure if I watched ita again I'd like it though, so take my rating with a grain of salt.

4/10 (D+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I rented it when it first came out and I really liked it I found it sad in parts and I remember my brother hating it. Its on my list of movies I would like to own cause I love how the film was shot.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Brotherhood of the Wolf
{My original review from February 2002: }

Le Pacte Des Loups is pretty trashy, but also lots of fun with it's strong combo of a French Knight and an Iroquois crimefighting duo, with kung fu and horror movie stuff thrown in to boot. Too long at two and a half hours, but I would still recommend it to fans of any of the aforementioned genres not averse to foreign films. (Of special note was the sound - - I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the sound played such a big part and was so well done!)

4 out of 5.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:26 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Brotherhood of the Wolf
A bizarre, senseless mishmash of many different genres. That it remains crudely watchable is something I cannot explain.

Let's just chalk it up to very high production values.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]