Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Sum of All Fears 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

The Sum of All Fears 
College Boy Z

Post The Sum of All Fears
The Sum of All Fears

Quote:
The Sum of All Fears is a 2002 American action film/political thriller directed by Phil Alden Robinson and based on a book of the same name by Tom Clancy. Starring Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman it was released by Paramount Pictures in the United States on May 31, 2002.

This fourth film in the Jack Ryan film series is a reboot set in 2002, with Ryan portrayed as younger than in the 1990 film The Hunt for Red October (set in 1984), and that film's sequels, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.

I didn't find it all that great. C+

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:12 pm
Teh Mexican

WOW!! it was so boring!, bad acting, ummm..... dont know i dont like the film

C-/D+

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:56 am
Teenage Dream

Boring and bad. The only exciting thing was the explosion.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:08 pm
Veteran

Hmm, I'll give this movie a compliment. I was actually surprised when I saw this because I thought Ben Affleck actually made a very effective Jack Ryan. And I don't like Affleck in movies usually. It's been a while so I don't remember it very well, but I remember enough to say it's about a B-.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

It was a decent film, probably unloved here due to lack of 'spolsions. But fun, all the same. I don't really care for Affleck either, but he worked nicely here. Good suspense leading up to the detonation and a great storyline.

B

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Decent flick. Ben Affleck isn't even half as bad in it, as many make it seem. Entertaining throughout, but nowhere near the Jack Ryan masterpiece Clear and Present Danger. It would also rank it below Hunt for the Red October and on the same level as The Patriot Games.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Wed May 16, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Very good suspense thriller, about on par with say Crimson Tide. Liev Shrieber was so popular and effective in his small part that I'm dumbfounded that they didn't spin off his character (There are Clancy books about that guy) into his own franchise.

Affleck is good and Bridget Moynihan was never better, before or since. It suffers from a lack of action is the main problem, and by action I dont mean explosions but real person to person conflict. But it has suspense and moves crisply from scene to scene, that's a kind of action that too many movies don't have.

I really don't get why they didn't make another Affleck Ryan movie after this. It seems like actors who take this role, including Baldwin, brush off the success and don't realize how much it helps their career.

B+

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:16 am
Draughty

A :D simply cause the nuke went off.

Yeah gotta give them credit for that, it was ballsy.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Hard movie to judge. Everything before the bomb goes off is average but the sequences after are thrilling and capture the more free flowing aspects of Clancys novels perfectly. So C for before the nuke A for after averaged out.

B

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:32 am
On autopilot for the summer

Horrible Movie, Affleck killed future Jack Ryan films, because well hes Ben Affleck. It also singlehandidly crippled Fords career, for not doing this, due to so many rewrites, he left and signed the 2 picture deal of K19 and Hollywood Homicide.

Clear and Present Danger- A
Hunt For Red October- A
Patriot Games- A-
Sum of All Fears- C-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:48 am
htm

Affleck really kills the character of Jack Ryan. The rest of the cast is solid and most of the exchanges are good. The script probably could have been touched up again. The score is quite haunting and memorable. It's a solid way to spend an afternoon, though it probably insults our intelligence every so often... it's intriguing for those that like spy thrillers, though it isn't exactly suspenseful.

B-/C+ due to the weak lead.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:46 pm
Stanley Cup

D- sk; ;motehr fcukcin affelersch is the worst ats er oardudn

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:14 am
The Lubitsch Touch

The movie was fine. Affleck was fine. Liev Schreiber needs a spy franchise. It was, frankly, better than either Harrison Ford Jack Ryan flick, which weren't that good to begin with.

Red October is the King.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:23 pm
Stanley Cup

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:56 pm
loyalfromlondon

The second-best Jack Ryan film, bested only by Red October. Ben Affleck is no Alec Baldwin or Harrison Ford, but he's fine in the role, and he's surrounded by a great supporting cast and a stellar script. The story is smart and plays out nicely, even if the villains are kinda one-dimensional. The build-up is great and everything after the nuke goes off is pure excitement. Liev Schreiber is terrific, but there's also great performances from Morgan Freeman, Bridget Moynahan, and especially CiarĂ¡n Hinds as the Russian prez. The effects are solid and the suspense amps up throughout the flick. Not a classic, just a smart, entertaining thriller.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue May 15, 2007 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]