Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Super Mario Bros. Movie 

Grade:
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

The Super Mario Bros. Movie 
now we know

Post The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Quote:
The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a 2023 computer-animated adventure film based on Nintendo's Mario video game franchise. Produced by Illumination, Universal Pictures, and Nintendo, and distributed by Universal, it was directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic from a screenplay by Matthew Fogel. An international co-production between the United States and Japan, the ensemble voice cast includes Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Day, Jack Black, Keegan-Michael Key, Seth Rogen, Fred Armisen, Sebastian Maniscalco, Charles Martinet, and Kevin Michael Richardson.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie premiered in Los Angeles on April 1, 2023. It was released in the United States on April 5, 2023, and in Japan on April 28, 2023.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Super Mario Bros. Movie
This was even lamer than I feared. Just an incredibly generic kids film with no heart or character development. The plot is lame and generic. The only highlights are Bowser and the visuals.

Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:55 pm
Hold the door!

Really a typical illumination film. I’m sure it will make lots of money which is all they care about

Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:35 pm
Ocarina of Time

Movie was awesome, a basic and straightforward plot, charming and enjoyable, a love letter to Super Mario fans; what I love the most about this film is that it’s far from political agendas, hidden messages and wokeness, exactly what people and animation NEED right now.

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:41 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Brian wrote:
Movie was awesome, a basic and straightforward plot, charming and enjoyable, a love letter to Super Mario fans; what I love the most about this film is that it’s far from political agendas, hidden messages and wokeness, exactly what people and animation NEED right now.

:wub2: Sounds great!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:13 am
Extraordinary

Fun movie. It's nothing extraordinary but if you're a fan of the games at all you should enjoy it.

The sequel
Spoiler: show
with Yoshi omg I'm excited for that!

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:04 am
Hold the door!

Y’all will realize this is lame soon.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:59 am
Ocarina of Time

zwackerm wrote:
Y’all will realize this is lame soon.

Stick to Ant-man, marvel and Disney films bro, that’s your thing

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:52 am
Romosexual!

Brian wrote:

but Brian Mario IS NOT saving the Princess! They changed it for wokeness :roll: #hollywooddoesitagain #sarcasm

Last edited by Rev on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:55 am

I was going to say, the changes to Princess Peach feel girl boss which is one of the biggest clichés of the “woke” era. I think people who sincerely use woke are way more obnoxious than those they are railing against, but ironically I feel the “woke” movement as detrimental to the characters in this movie. Princess Peach is very much a girly girl who fights with frying pans and various sports equipment. Hell in her own video game she fights with her emotions. Sure this all a bit sexist, but honestly in the era of the girl boss, a female character that fights with such stereotypes as emotions and frying pans feels a bit more refreshing. Ironically the girl boss archetype has become the stereotype for women in blockbusters these days. Women with fragility is far more interesting these days.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:18 am
Ocarina of Time

Rev wrote:
Brian wrote:

but Brian Mario IS NOT saving the Princess! They changed it for wokeness :roll: #hollywooddoesitagain

There’s a difference between being a girl bossy and competent; if you follow the story she acts like that to protect her kingdom, on the other hand she has kicked ass in the smash games for more than 20 years, so the inception of her behavior is not new here, and it’s not done for propaganda, she’s been like that, she LOOKS FOR and ACCEPTS MEN’S help to defeat Bowser… and at the end of the day the heroes of this movie were pretty much MARIO and LUIGI, they saved the hole shit, not Peach :roll:

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:30 am
Romosexual!

currently seated at my theater and waiting for the show to begin…

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:17 pm
The Kramer

Rev wrote:
Are you using the n64 controller to pull marios nose and ears? :lol:

I'm seeing it later today too!

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:07 pm
Veteran

During my viewing of Super Mario Brothers, the phrase "oh they did the thing" frequently came up in my head, anytime a familiar sight triggered waves of nostalgia. Although shamelessly indulging in fan-service, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it transported me back to my youth. I loved seeing the various sights and characters, like Tanooki Mario, Invincible Star, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Rainbow Road, Cat Mario, Flower Power, the Yoshi species, and Toad. However, I would have preferred less Princess Peach and more focus on Mario and Luigi (which happened for....reasons). Despite this flaw, the film earned an A rating, largely due to the finale which indeed feature the brothers. Looking ahead I suspect this film, more so than the Sonic franchise, will be viewed as the bellwether for many cherished videogame IPs coming to the big screen (Zelda??!).

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:51 pm
The Kramer

I dunno if Super Mario Bros is a good movie persay, but it is certainly a very satisfying one for fans of the franchise. It really feels like you're playing the games.

The movie is absolutely gorgeous. Easily the best animation Illumination has ever created. And every frame of it is packed full of references/easter-eggs to give the fans a hit of memberberries.

Bowser is the one thing that sticks out as cinematic. Especially the Peaches song. You won't find that in most of the games (...well except for Bowser's Inside Story and to a lesser extent, Legend of the Seven Stars.) Jack Black did a fantastic job of bringing the character to life. All the other voice actors are good though, the fears of Chris Pratt were totally unfound as you stop noticing its him pretty quickly into the movie. I wish Luigi was in it more as Charlie Day was perfect for him.

I was honestly expecting this to be like a Marvel audience, with mostly nerds and a few kids/girlfriends spread here and there. It was packed with kids though, I might have been the only adult there without one. They fucking loved the movie though. Not one, but two kids in my row were out of their seats during the end sequence, bouncing up and down because they were so excited. This movie will be the TikTok generation's Lion King.

I'll give Super Mario Bros an 8/10. If you took this story and put it into a movie with just some regular ass characters then it would be like a 4/10. But they did right by Mario fans and deserve all the money they are going to get.

Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

It was fine but overall an average animated movie. After not seeing many Illumination movies other than Despicable Me I was expecting it to be go for jokes more, it never totally got there comedy wise for me save a few good moments like Bowser's Peach obsession and the nihilistic star guy. At the same time its earnestness works when Luigi is involved but not for the other characters, by the time DK and Mario say they both have dads disappointed in them, they haven't quite been through enough or a journey together at that point for it to really land, likewise I can't say Peach really had an emotional arc (looking fine on the motorcycle though). Day, Black and ATJ were good but Pratt as Mario didn't quite stick it for me, not cause he sounded too much like Pratt, but maybe he was too afraid to sound like him and just came off generic. Some of the references seemingly went over my head since I haven't played as many of the newer games, in other cases they went in on some stuff like cat mario and racoon mario from games I know but aren't as attached to as if he turned into cape mario or flying hat mario at the end or something. Meanwhile a lot of iconic stuff is virtually non existent like goombas, big boos, thwomps.

Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:09 pm
100% That Bitch

B

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:23 am
Romosexual!

Rev wrote:

A fucking +

felt like I was beamed back to the 90’s playing SMB, SMB2, SMB 3, SMW :wub2:

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:15 pm
100% That Bitch

Rev wrote:
Rev wrote:

A fucking +

felt like I was beamed back to the 90’s playing SMB, SMB2, SMB 3, SMW :wub2:

Yes yes yes this why it's exploding the fuck up. You felt like a child playing it for the first time. It's an A from that fact alone but yeah I may give it a B+ thinking about it once again lulz

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:15 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

In the 80s I only played Mario Bros on the handheld Nintendo LCD screen games that were popular then. I had Mario's cement factory and used to play another that a friend had. Someone else had Donkey Kong. Never really played the 90s console versions so dont have that much nostalgia for that era of Mario. I do play Mario Kart with my boys on Switch (and Wii) these days though - so seeing this world come to life on the big screen was great.

It's a fun romp, nothing spectacular but I can see why it's such a hit. I'm expecting a sequel could really shoot the franchise into the stratosphere in terms of quality. My kids loved it.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:08 pm
Extraordinary

Mario is a very safe movie and it's exactly why it works so well.

This was a world building movie and you can have the movie on mute the whole time and the visual details are where most of the heart of the movie lies for me.

The experiences of going down the Kong Kart, the Princess's Castle and the level of detail to be so similar to the N64 version, and the Rainbow Road Mario Kart sequences. And DK's ridiculous victory dances and strutting.

The audience cheered at the end. It gives you exactly what you expect going into the movie.

Character development was fairly non-existent but lets be honest, I wasn't waiting for the moment build up for Mario and Peach to kiss, or DK and Diddy Kong to have some type of brotherly tender moment, I wanted them to start throwing bananas and turtle shells at each other.

This reminds me a bit of Home Alone in terms of execution and catering to your audience. John Hughes knew how to tug at the heartstrings in his stories but Home Alone become a classic from the pranks and antics and charisma of Culkin. They almost figured out the formula to engineer the perfect family holiday movie and feels like they engineered the perfect video game family movie here.

Where Home Alone essentially created a world for a kid to live out a fantasy experience of setting up pranks to catch bad guys, do whatever you want when your family is away, etc., Mario created a very realistic looking world for people to live out the fantasy of being immersed in one of their favorite video games with great attention to detail.

A-

Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I saw it again with another friend. It was more enjoyable the second time, though still not great. The Donkey Kong fight is probably the highlight of the film. Well choreographed and exciting.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:38 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Definitely a kids movie, which is understandable coming from both Illumination and Nintendo. They weren't going to try something beyond that. It's their core audience.

However, it does what it does very well. It felt like a proper adaptation of the video games vs being an adaptation that only features characters from the game. Most video game adaptations usually take the name and character and form a movie around that vs trying to bring the games to life on screen.

Wasn't too big on all the popular music thrown in. Take on Me was really out of place and distracting I thought when they could have just gone with some Donkey Kong theme for that scene. That said, the use of Konji Kondo's classic themes from the early days of Mario to the most modern games is very well done too.

I'll give it a solid B.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fine I guess. I'm not the target audience. The animation was pretty beautiful and it was fast-paced but instantly forgettable. C

Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

I hated it, one of the worst movies I’ve paid to see in a long time. D

Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next