Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

College Boy Z

Post The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Quote:
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (released in the UK as The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants) is a 2005 American film, based on the novel of the same name by Ann Brashares released by Warner Bros. Pictures. It was directed by Ken Kwapis and written by Delia Ephron.

The film's production budget was $25 million. At the box office, it brought in a total domestic gross of $39 million. The DVD was released in the United States on October 11, 2005, and features on-camera commentary by Amber Tamblyn, Alexis Bledel, and America Ferrera and deleted scenes (discussed by Kwapis). The film was partially shot in the Kamloops and Ashcroft area in B.C., Canada.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Teenage Dream

Great movie. Fantastic performances by young leading ladies Amber Tamblyn, America Ferrara, and Alexis Bledel. Also, great performance by newcomer Blake Lively. A

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:24 pm
Forum General

THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS - 9/10 (A-)
While some of the changes from the book didn't impress me at all (Lana's story wasn't very good, much better in the book) some were quite good. Amber Tamblyn ... WOW! She was absolutely amazing!!! Best female peformance of the year so far, she definetely gets points in my book. This isn't just for females, I know a lot of males that enjoy both the film and the book. I admit, the trailer wasn't very good but I really hope some of you will give this a try, it's a really great movies.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

i'm gonna catch the 12:40 showing today woot!

Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I really loved this movie. I love how it shows the bond of these 4 girls and how true friends can really be. Its very moving I cried alot in this film but I really really enjoyed it.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Actually, it was a surprisingly desent movie all things considered. I must first point out that the entire crowd was composed of girls that were younger than I expected. I thought high school age, but it was definately more 8-13 year olds. For a movie targetted at that age group (gender aside, since that's a different beast all together) SIsterhood was much smarter, much more progressive, and much more intricately filmed than I would expect.

Is this going to work as a drama for adults? Yes..once. I teared a little during America's scenes and I'm not 12. Will I watch it multiple times? Not likely. SHould 10 year olds watch it more than once? Yes. The movie explores something a little more profound in the "coming-of-age" story than high school popularity spitfests. It touches on everything from death to divorce/remarriage, to self identification (this was the weakest story however), and humility. It not once touches the typical story of highschool catfights, and in fact we don't even know if these 4 girls are popular or not. What we do know is that they all have a wide range of experiences over one summer and can't return to the same old, same old, as before. They're still close, this is not a girl fight drama.

But they each undergo experiences that humble the proud, break down the defense walls, and explore their world views.

SOmetimes a bit overly explained in dialogue, this is a particular mechanism due to age level. Very well acted on all accounts, and the sense of timing in between each one's episodes is never choppy but never drags on.

Ths movie deserves two grades due to genre,

For general audiances, B-

For target age group, A-

Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:21 pm
Forum General

I'm glad the people that saw this actually liked it :) It's one of the best of the year and I'm sure it will be on my top 10 at the end of the year.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Shocked at, first, how freakin' great this movie is, and more importantly, at how under-rated it is!

SOTTP is superbly directed, acted, and of course, written. It is a tearjerker par excellence - in fact, it is this year's The Notebook - only focusing on the other end of the age spectrum, with an extra heapin' helpin' of girlpower...

I was enthralled from beginning to end - this is a great movie.

Highly recommend you catch it in the theatre, cause this one's gonna be a classic for the ages...

5 out of 5. (A+)

(Note:Instantly vaults on to my top ten list of 2005.)

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:34 pm
Forum General

I'm glad you liked it! It's one of the best films of the year, in my opinion.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Theatres in my area have increased the # of screenings this week (it's seventh week in release!) - there must be significant demand to see it - in fact, whenever I pass the theatre showing it, I see a stream of happy moviegoers exiting while wiping tears from their eyes...

This ones gonna have some serious legs!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:07 am
Where will you be?

5 out of 5. (A+)

Uhm, if you gave it an A+, which means it's flawless and could not get any better, I sure hope it got in your top ten of the year. Hell, I'd think that would mean closer to top three.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:10 pm
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
5 out of 5. (A+)

Uhm, if you gave it an A+, which means it's flawless and could not get any better, I sure hope it got in your top ten of the year. Hell, I'd think that would mean closer to top three.

Whoa, Dude! I don't wanna blow your mind, but my rating system has got enuf flex to accomodate many movies at the perfection level - not in spite of their flaws, but in acceptance of them...

:yikes:

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:04 pm
La Bella Vito

Post The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants ****/****
This is one of the best chick flicks in a long while. All of the performances were really great. I was blown away by how impressive Jenna Boyd was, especially considering her age. She is just as great as Dakota Fanning. All of the stories were interesting. Amber Tamblyn did a great job playing an aspiring filmmaker. America Ferrera continues to show range as an actress. She was amazing in Real Women Have Curves, and she is excellent here also. Blake Lively is good, but she is definitely one of the weaker actresses in the film. Alexis Bledel did a great job. I was most interested in Carmen's story because it dealt with very serious issues, and I totally related to it, because I went through a lot of the same things as a child. Tibby's story was also very interesting. I liked how she was making a documentary, and the film was showing the making of it, that was awesome. There's a few unrealistic moments, but they aren't that bad. The film can make you laugh, and cry. And I definitely didn't expect to shed a tear walking into this film, but I certainly did. I just thought it was a very pleasant movie, and I enjoyed it a lot. The ending is definitely uplifting, and positive. All of the stories are developed well enough to keep the viewer interested, but I was not very impressed with Bridget's story. Her character didn't seem to have very much depth, she just seemed to be the typical stupid blonde of the bunch. It was a great film though, and I'm definitely buying it on dvd, highly recommended.

Trivia Fact:

According to the director, Hilary Duff was interested in playing the role of Tibby at one point.

That's really interesting, it would've been cool seeing her in the role. I'm glad they stuck with Tamblyn though. ;)

A

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

I have to say that I am somewhat surprised by this movie. I thought it was going to be an unbearable girl film, and while it is at some points, it was mostly enjoyable. Some of the moments where we are made to go "Awwww" at the screen, I have to admit that I laughed. On the whole though, it's good.

B-

Spoilers Ahead

The one thing I didn't like though was the way that two of the girl's story's ended (Carmen and Bridget).

First of all the character of Bridget losing her viginity to that soccer coach. She is supposed to be 17 years old right? How old is the soccer coach supposed to be? He said something to her towards the end of the film, saying something like, when you are 20 will you give me another chance? That would lead me to believe that he was at least 20 when he had sex with her. I know it's a difference of only three years, but isn't that considered rape, even though she was chasing after him? He could've easily have put a stop to it.

The second is Carmen. There is no chance in hell that everything would wrap up so nicely for her in the real world. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, Carmen's father and his new family would begin to accept her, especially at their wedding, and especially his new wife? Also, if you paid attention to Nancy Travis' character during the film, she was all proper on how her wedding wanted to be. So why all of a sudden would she allow Carmen to wear jeans up at the alter? I don't think so.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Spoilers Ahead

The one thing I didn't like though was the way that two of the girl's story's ended (Carmen and Bridget).

First of all the character of Bridget losing her viginity to that soccer coach. She is supposed to be 17 years old right? How old is the soccer coach supposed to be? He said something to her towards the end of the film, saying something like, when you are 20 will you give me another chance? That would lead me to believe that he was at least 20 when he had sex with her. I know it's a difference of only three years, but isn't that considered rape, even though she was chasing after him? He could've easily have put a stop to it.

A 20 year old and a 17 year old? C'mon - happens all the time. That's how old my parents were when they got married...

Quote:
The second is Carmen. There is no chance in hell that everything would wrap up so nicely for her in the real world. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, Carmen's father and his new family would begin to accept her, especially at their wedding, and especially his new wife? Also, if you paid attention to Nancy Travis' character during the film, she was all proper on how her wedding wanted to be. So why all of a sudden would she allow Carmen to wear jeans up at the alter? I don't think so.

I bought it...

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:14 am
Superman: The Movie

jmart007 wrote:
Spoilers Ahead

A 20 year old and a 17 year old? C'mon - happens all the time. That's how old my parents were when they got married...

I was just guessing on the age. He could've been older. All I am saying is it was just left on an odd note, which I think was the intention.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:06 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

A "good" but overrated movie. I can't believe the amazing reviews it got. It's honestly nothing special. It has a nice cast for sure, but I was never incredibly involved and kept thinking, "I hope this doesn't have much left." Not like I was bored, but it wasn't anything great that I didn't want to end. It dragged at times. I did love the part where Bledel's character goes to "get her man" though. That was cute and sweet. And I liked the ending as well. I didn't really care that much about the blonde friend who played soccer. It was because she was so fond of herself and I can't stand people like that. Her crush, played by Mike Vogel, was hot though. Sometimes he doesn't look very good to me, but a couple of times, in this and Grind, he has looked yummy. Anyway, I also liked the ending. I wanted Carmen to hook up with her cute step-brother though.

I have to say, while it was "good" I was actually a tad disappointed. I'm glad I didn't see it in theaters. I also think this would be a chore to sit through again.

As a bonus though before the main menu it had a GILMORE GIRLS preview! :D That made me excited! :biggrin:

I'd give the movie a 6/10 (C+).

Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:46 am
Teh Mexican

The hell! What a great movie, very well done, all the girls fill it with very good performances
Very enjoyable

B+

:blush:

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:59 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

The hell! What a great movie, very well done, all the girls fill it with very good performances
Very enjoyable

B+

yes, they are filled into the pants nicely.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

matatonio wrote:

Very enjoyable

B+

yes, they are filled into the pants nicely.

especially the blonde girl

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:07 pm
Sbil

We watched this again, and I think I bumped my grade up to a B+. The acting from Amber Tamblyn, America Ferrera, Alexis Bledel and Blake Lively is just wonderful.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Loved this movie - probably among my top 20 favorites. Having myself moved more than the average gypsy, the movie's topical matter is something I have always struggled with. I became a forward-looking person to avoid a string of broken memories; the movie is a sentimental reminder that companionship is powerful yet fragile.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]