Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Batman 

Rate this film:
A 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

The Batman 
Keeping it Light

Post The Batman

Quote:
The Batman is a 2022 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character Batman. Produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, 6th & Idaho, and Dylan Clark Productions, and distributed by Warner Bros., it is a reboot of the Batman film franchise. The film was directed by Matt Reeves, who wrote the screenplay with Peter Craig. It stars Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne / Batman alongside Zoë Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard, Andy Serkis, and Colin Farrell. Set in his second year of fighting crime, the film sees Batman uncover corruption in Gotham City while pursuing the Riddler (Dano), a serial killer who targets Gotham's elite.

Development began after Ben Affleck was cast as Batman in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) in 2013. Affleck signed on to direct, produce, co-write, and star in The Batman, but had reservations about the project and dropped out. Reeves took over and reworked the story, removing the DCEU connections. He sought to explore Batman's detective side more than previous films, drawing inspiration from 1970s films and comics such as "Year One" (1987) and Ego (2000). Pattinson was cast to replace Affleck in May 2019, and further casting took place in late 2019. Principal photography lasted from January 2020 to March 2021 in the United Kingdom and Chicago.

Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:54 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Batman
I thought it was awesome. Length was fine for me, the whole cast is great and the whole film looks beautiful.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:52 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

How would you rank it among all the other Batman films?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:07 am
Extraordinary

MadGez wrote:
How would you rank it among all the other Batman films?

I think it's up there with TDK as one of the best.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:25 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I was at the premiere last night. It's a bit of a slow burn at first but it really picks up after a certain character's demise (which was honestly a pretty shocking moment) and never really lets up after that scene. The action sequences are exquisite - especially that epic car chase scene - and the movie looks gorgeous top to bottom. In terms of performances I found Paul Dano best in show but Zoe Kravitz was also fantastic and a standout. I'm excited to see it again - I agree too that you don't really feel the three hour length - it moves pretty quickly. A-

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:05 pm
Profile YIM
Superfreak

Great to hear y'all enjoying it

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:31 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Its a long movie but it was exquisitely made. Battinson is easily the best batman ever(though I prefer Bale as Bruce Wayne). He is troubled wreck even as BW here. Entire cast did a great job and to me Kravitz was the standout. This should win many tech awards for sure and may be could sneak in a BP nom as well.

Overall I would rank it A. I still prefer Nolan trilogy but this is not that far off.

I used to be shawman.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:19 pm
Extraordinary

I am soooo interested in what Reeves does with the sequel.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:02 am
Hold the door!

Keyser Söze wrote:
Its a long movie but it was exquisitely made. Battinson is easily the best batman ever(though I prefer Bale as Bruce Wayne). He is troubled wreck even as BW here. Entire cast did a great job and to me Kravitz was the standout. This should win many tech awards for sure and may be could sneak in a BP nom as well.

Overall I would rank it A. I still prefer Nolan trilogy but this is not that far off.

This is not getting a BP nom, or any tech wins, though I would think nominations are possible

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:06 am
Romosexual!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I am soooo interested in what Reeves does with the sequel.

I sure hope he does what he has mentioned in interviews :D and that's a proper live action MR. FREEZE :cold:

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:59 am
Hold the door!

Poison Ivy please

Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:30 am
Quality is a great business plan

Sequel should not be that dark as Battinson moved from vengeance to hope. Needs more colorful adversary. But not JOKER for sure.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:08 pm
Wallflower

I do think it felt 3 hours. I was antsy during the last hour. I liked it. It's not great like The Dark Knight or even The Dark Knight Rises but it's pretty solid. On a technical level it's fantastic. Looks gorgeous. But with this runtime it definitely drags at times. Not something I'd ever want to see more than once but it's good for one viewing. I read someone say Robert Pattinson is a great Batman and bad Bruce Wayne and I kind of agree with that but wouldn't say he's a bad Bruce Wayne exactly. Just not that great. I do like Pattinson though and look forward to seeing him in this role again. I didn't expect much from Zoe Kravitz but I thought she was great.

I'd give it a B.

Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:54 am
Forum General

Just got back from this. Very good movie. I thought the length and pacing were excellent. Could maybe trim 5 or 10 minutes, but it wasn't a major concern for me. I loved the score and music in the movie. It looked amazing from a technical standpoint. I'm not a big fan of the Catwoman character. Not Zoe's fault, she was great. Paul Dano was excellent. Several people have said Robert Pattinson was a great Batman but not so much Bruce Wayne. I disagree. I loved the portrayal of BW as a total wreck and RP captured that really well. And yes, he was great as Batman.

The only thing that keeps this from a solid A is the large amount of time focused on a character I don't really like (Catwoman).

A-

Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A+

Yeah. The complete opposite of NWH. How to do a proper dark comic book movie. Hell, it barely even qualifies as a combic book film.

I'd say this was a thriller movie with Batman on it.

Also that final tease? Yes gawd

The car chase? The take Falconi take down? Straight into my veins plz

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:05 am
Veteran

One of the better Batman movies. I didn't mind the long runtime because I valued the care and feeding given to the detective side of Batman. Looking forward to the sequel! Hopefully it's with and by Matt Reeves.

A

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:24 am
Hold the door!

This had interesting ideas and structure, but it was too slow paced and humorless for me to get fully on board. Lots of great moments, but it never gelled into a great whole for me. Don't know if I'd watch it again anytime soon

Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:15 am
Superfreak

This is actually a very mixed bag for me. 

Critically, this is a very good film and one can see why critics are into it. Commercially, the enjoyment level would have benefited from just a bit more action and humor. I am highly surprised that Warners allowed Reeves to make this film and release it. This is a truly adult Batman movie. Burton/Schumacher made kids Batman movies, Nolan made teen Batman movies, and now we have a true adult Batman. The cast and production values are universally good, but without question the pace is slower and more dour than it should be. 

Despite its epic length, a lot of the films core feels seriously half baked. Some big points in particular:

1. Riddler murders/scheme don't feel important because we are basically told to hate the people he is killing. Of course murder is terrible, but why is it so important to catch/stop the Riddler? This felt so underdeveloped. The "Riddler is the Zodiac" stuff does not really gel because we never see or feel society impact from him other a few glimpses of people outside of the funeral. 

2. The "twist" that will "shake Gotham to its core" and "disrupt the entire city to its core" comes in seriously half baked. I get it overall - the city leaders lied to everyone about the Maroni crime bust success when they really just took it over for their own personal enrichment - but we feel virtually none of the side effects. We feel zero societal breakdown. The detective stuff and maze of personal dynamics is interesting, but frankly, the film would have benefitted from slightly less detective work and "Your dad was bad/no he was good/he was actually mixed/falcone is the real bad guy" and more of "society is breaking down with each reveal" type of stuff.

3.. The "flood" was almost entirely shown in the trailers and isn't shown with nearly the impact that it would have had in real life. The entire ordeal feels rushed. Riddler only mentioned his "day of judgement" once before revealing the big thing to Bruce. They absolutely should have made that a larger part of his plan throughout the film to add a greater sense of urgency to stopping him.

Trying to cram The Riddler and his games disrupting society, Gotham's deeply routed corruption with Maroni and politicos, Bruce discovering thins about his parents, Selina getting revenge, Batman being Sherlock etc was just too much and leads to the long periods of exposition and slow pace while also feeling underdeveloped. They actually did a good job of balancing everything given the extremely loaded plate but it was just too much regardless.

Similar to TDKR, this movie may have been better divided into 2 parts.

Part 1:
Riddler role remains as is except heavier emphasis is placed on his "day judgement" end game
Penguin is more prominent, catching the Penguin feels like the films main goal
Better establish that Bruce feels compelled to carry the decency of his family name
Better establish the terror Maroni drug cartel and the supposed impact of the drug bust
Better establish Bella Real as meaning business
Better establish Alfred's point that embracing anger isn't helping, its hurting
End with twist that Bruce Wayne is identified as Riddler's next victim as Batman realizes Riddler's plan has a point: the big drug operation never ended, Bruce's family is directly involved and Penguin isn't the rat, rather a red herring.

Part 2
Riddler's antics escalate and further breakdown society
Batman and Gordon feel lost
Falcone narrative takes over/Thomas Wayne background
Impact of Bella Real's victory - maybe have Falcone plotting her murder as well, have Batman foil this?
Batman and Gordon catch the Riddler and think they have foiled his "judgement day" plan until they're revealed to be too late
Make the flood a bigger deal in general
End with reinforcing Batman's understanding of who he is and what he needs to be

Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:28 am
Hold the door!

I don't like that the Joker is teased in this. Like do we really need a third new Joker in 6 years? Boring, beating a dead horse

Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:35 am
Extraordinary

I'm gonna guess Reeves probably didn't want a proper end credits scene but that scene would've been perfect as an after credits scene... weird

Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:54 am
Romosexual!

A+

the most comic book "BATMAN" :bat: EVER! and the best GOTHAM as well!
The only nitpick I have is I wish for a bit more Alfred. Other than that this was PERFECT!

Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:39 pm
The Kramer

I was really enjoying almost every step of this journey while watching it. Was left a little cold by the ending though. It tries to be different in so many ways but then always just comes back to something that we've seen before.

But yeah, this has excellent pacing. The movie is always moving forward and the three hours fly by. I enjoyed the low-key detective work, it made the action sequences all the better (if you could see them in the rain that is.) Zoe and Battinson were great choices to lead this very very very dark take on the material. Never doubted that either of them were Selina and Bruce for a second.

That's also part of the frustration though. Battinson is all like "I have to be more than vengeance, its time to change" then they just ride off on opposite sides of a crossroads like always. If you're gonna inspire hope then how about you start with yourself my dude? Battinson turning his bike around and heading after her would have been the perfect ending but the writers just had to be Jeph Loebish cockblockers. So you have the Bat and the Cat seperating for no good reason and we get a grand twist where being captured was part of the villains plan all along and now he's gonna use the water to destroy the city and then finally the reintroduction of Joker even though Dano's Riddler is pretty much the same as Ledger's Joker. Just ... come on. We had a chance to set a completely different tone for this new series and just throw it away at the end. So, in the end, it's basically just a longer and less funny version of Batman Begins.

Ranting aside, must once again state that this movie is really strong for 98% of its 3 hours. Therefore it gets an A- from moi.

Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:08 pm
The Kramer

My review was super nitpicky, so once again just want to reitterate that this movie is very good. Reeves' style makes it an intoxicating watch as you can't wait to see where it goes next. The only parts I'd have changed were basically the last two scenes. Get rid of Joker + have Bat and Cat fuck and we got ourselves an S tier Batman film. As is, The Batman is hanging on the A tier with Tim Burton which isn't the worst thing in the world at all. I'm really looking forward to watching it again on HBO next month.

Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:17 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The first half was INCREDIBLE. Best Batman ever level, making it into a serial killer murder mystery was genius, amazing sexual chemistry between Pattinson and Kravitz, perfect ambience and cinematography, just absolutely gripping and everything a Batman movie could and should be. Made Nolan's films look completely basic.

Then the second half lost the plot, becoming a convoluted, overly expository mess with a ham-fisted climax with no build-up that was very obviously trying (and failing) to out-do The Dark Knight's finale. They should have kept the film in the style of the first half with a tighter climax that didn't devolve into the generic fighting (which was also totally anti-climactic since the main villain was already locked up....seemingly for no reason too). The screenplay just did not have the elegance of Nolan's. They were clearly trying to up the stakes and create an epic finale but it had none of the careful set-up and satisfying twists of Nolan's trilogy. It was basically Batman meets Se7en...and then all of a sudden it became Heath Ledger's The Joker but with 30 less IQ points. It's almost like two separate films which makes me think of studio interference (wouldn't be the first time in the DC world of late). The endless exposition and "shocking revelations!" about the Wayne family also wore thin in the first couple minutes let alone entire hour for which it seemed to drag. And it was also a very odd choice to have two iconic villains and yet focus so much on this generic Italian crime dude no one cares about.

My advice: the Penguin should've taken the role of the Italian dude, and The Riddler's grand plan should've been to simultaneously kill Alfred and expose Batman's identity to the world as part of his twisted revenge, which he leaves clues about and Batman and Catwoman need to race against time to prevent. That would've tied up all the plotlines in a neat finale that still complements the Se7en-style plot established in the first part.

So the first half I give an A+ and the second half a C-. Average is a B.

If they make a sequel, please stick to the neo noir crime thriller style of the first half because the casting is perfect and all the ingredients are there for THE definitive Batman film with this crew.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:35 pm
Angels & Demons

COuld onlyz see like-a.... 18% of the movie! D+.

Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next