Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mulan (2020) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Mulan (2020) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Mulan (2020)
Quote:
Mulan is a 2020 American action drama film produced by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a live-action adaptation of Disney's 1998 animated film of the same name, based on the Chinese folklore "The Ballad of Mulan". The film stars Liu Yifei in the title role, alongside Donnie Yen, Jason Scott Lee, Yoson An, Gong Li, and Jet Li in supporting roles. It is directed by Niki Caro, with screenplay by Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Lauren Hynek, and Elizabeth Martin.

Plans for a live-action remake began in 2010, but the project stalled in development hell. In March 2015, a new attempt was announced and Caro was hired to direct in February 2017. Liu was cast in the title role in November 2017, following a casting call of 1,000 actresses, and the rest of the cast joined over the following year. Filming began in August 2018 and lasted through November, taking place in New Zealand and China. With a production budget of $200 million, it is the most expensive film ever made by a female director.

Mulan's Hollywood premiere was held on March 9, 2020. Originally scheduled to be a wide theatrical release, it was delayed multiple times due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Disney eventually announced that it would instead be released on September 4, 2020, on Disney+ for a premium fee in countries where the service had launched. It will have a traditional theatrical release in countries without Disney+, where theaters have re-opened. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised the action sequences, visuals, and performances, while criticizing the screenplay.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:19 am
Forum General

Post Re: Mulan (2020)
Yeah, I'm not going to support blockbusters going to PVOD instead of theaters. I would gladly pay 30 for ticket and conessions to see it on the big screen. Not to watch it at home though. Too bad, it was one of my most anticipated of the year.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'm going to watch this in theaters today. I still don't understand why Disney could not have released this in theaters as well.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:00 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was rousing, visually stunning and an all-around excellent film. It's a lovely homage to the original Disney film while also feeling wholly original and like its own thing. It feels like a movie that was made to be seen on the big screen which, despite me loving it, made me feel a tinge of sadness as the end credits rolled since that's not how most (myself included) will experience it. The battle scene set to "Reflection" is beyond epic. I loved it - this was one of my most anticipated movies of the year and it lived up to the hype.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:32 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I thought it was fine. I liked that it didn't closely follow the animated film but I do think not even having I'll Make a Man Out of You in some form was a mistake. Adding some touches of the animated film would've been welcome. I thought the action was sell done in the last third though.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:21 am
Forum General

This is definitely one of the better Disney remakes IMO. I also really appreciated that it didn't follow the original animated film so closely and tried to be its own thing. It felt a lot different than the past remakes, especially from a production standpoint and that was refreshing. The fight choreography was also well done and the cinematography and costumes all looked pretty great too. It was just awesome seeing so many Chinese actors that I am a fan of all in one film even though I could have done with more Tzi Ma and Jet Li, but I understand that they were in smaller, supporting roles. Yifei Liu was pretty good in the lead role as well and not nearly as soulless or bland as I thought she would be.

B

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:39 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Great action and amazing visuals for a movie that tells the same story with a different touch. I loved the changes that it did, it easily manages to identify itself as a serious live-action upgrade for the whole family and not just for younger audience. From the posters and trailers I never bought Yifei Liu as Mulan but the movie makes me care for the character (even though I felt Liu could have done better). Having said that its sometimes too heavy handed so maybe some comic timing would have been better. The animated original was better during the castle scene where as this one lands better at the very end once Mulan comes back home. A solid B

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:14 am
Hold the door!

This was ok but like the other Disney remakes not memorable for the most part. I liked the darker tone but they didn’t do much with it other than make the falcon a witch. They should have added more to make up for the loss of the comedic elements and music.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 pm
The Kramer

Mulan looks great, but it sure is boring. I never really connected to any of it. Even the big action scenes had a checked out Flava'd wondering when it was going to end. Its like they kept all the things I dislike about the original while removing everything that I did like. I was never a huge fan of Mushu, but why get rid of him if you're just going to add in a whole bunch of other magical nonsense?

D

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 pm
Ocarina of Time

A total bore, the worst editing in a blockbuster, landscapes look gorgeous but fight scenes are laughable and stupid.

D+

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm
The Kramer

I was fortunate enough to have somebody else pay for this at least...

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm
We had our time together

I actually enjoyed it a lot. Best live-action disney for sure.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's solid, but actually could have been a 2.5-3 hour movie like other war films, if not for needing kids to not get bored. The other male warriors were light on development and didn't quite pop, and I could have had more of Jet Li such as him and the bad guy getting to do their duel. The action scenes and Liu Yifel were good.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]