Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Artemis Fowl 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Artemis Fowl 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Artemis Fowl
Quote:
Artemis Fowl is a 2020 American science fantasy adventure film based on the 2001 novel of the same name by Eoin Colfer. It is directed by Kenneth Branagh, from a screenplay co-written by Conor McPherson and Hamish McColl. The film stars Ferdia Shaw, Lara McDonnell, Josh Gad, Tamara Smart, Nonso Anozie, Colin Farrell, and Judi Dench. The film details the adventures of Artemis Fowl II, a 12-year-old Irish prodigy who teams up with his faithful servant, a dwarf, and a fairy in order to rescue his father, Artemis Fowl I, who has been kidnapped by a gang of fairies looking to reclaim an item the Fowl family has stolen.

Originally intended to be launched as a franchise by Miramax in 2001, the film languished in development hell with several writers and directors attached until Walt Disney Pictures acquired the rights in 2013. Branagh was hired in September 2015, and much of the cast joined in 2017. Filming began in March 2018, taking place around Europe.

Originally intended to be a theatrical release, Artemis Fowl was released digitally worldwide on Disney+ on June 12, 2020. The film received negative reviews from critics, with Rotten Tomatoes saying it would "anger fans of the source material and leave newcomers befuddled"

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:05 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Artemis Fowl
Completely incomprehensible. It's clearly been hacked to death and the entire cast save maybe Colin Farrell is dreadful. D

Last edited by thompsoncory on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

This was fucking awful IMO. Just a boring, ugly, rushed, incomprehensible mess of a film that I got no entertainment out of whatsoever. I really don't like berating kid actors, but the lead kid was just terrible in this, although the rest of the cast wasn't much better either, especially Josh Gad and Judi Dench with there super ridiculous and gravely Batman voices. Also, its really hard for me to believe that this cost Disney anywhere near $100M to make when the movie looks this cheap and unfinished.

F

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:42 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Nothing about this movie clicked other than a few action scenes in the house. The only movie this year to get a D from me which is not a horror movie. Disney is SO BAD in setting up new non-MCU properties and this clearly shows why. They poured in money got a good director and make it look shiny but its does not have enough substance.

I was also wondering what was up with Judy Dench's voice in this? Josh Gad is so hilariously bad in this, he needs to pick up good projects.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:48 am
Extraordinary

I wonder how much Disney will lose on this movie? It obviously would have bombed at the box office in normal year, but it still must have made even less money going this route.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I was hoping that if you’d read the books it might be more enjoyable. And I guess it helped a little, I didn’t think Artemis Fowl was the worst movie in the world (though it was heading that way for a little while.) The movie is a complete mess though. Artemis himself is boring, I didn’t really understand he became friends with the fairy even though I knew it was going to happen. They did well with Butler, and Mulch Diggums could have become an iconic goofball. Wtf was Josh Gad doing with that accent though??? Colin Farrell is always welcome but I don’t remember his dad being part of the book at all. Artemis is way more fun as a villain and that just never came across here.

I’m just glad I didn’t waste a theater trip on this nonsense.

D

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 pm
Extraordinary

I'm like half and hour into this and it's fucking awful so far. Wow.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:02 pm
Extraordinary

This is one of the worst movies I've seen in awhile. Imagining paying a $15 ticket for this... goodbye

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]