Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dangerous Minds 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Dangerous Minds 
Sbil

Post Dangerous Minds
Dangerous Minds

Quote:
Dangerous Minds (1995) is an American drama film based on the autobiography My Posse Don't Do Homework by former U.S. Marine LouAnne Johnson, who took up a teaching position at Carlmont High School in Belmont, California, where most of her students were African-American and Hispanic teenagers from East Palo Alto, a then-unincorporated town at the opposite end of the school district.

The film, starring Michelle Pfeiffer as LouAnne Johnson, was released to mixed critical reception, but became a surprise box office success in the summer of 1995, leading to the creation of a short-lived television series of the same name.

Sat May 21, 2005 12:46 pm
La Bella Vito

Very good movie. I thought Michelle Pfeiffer at least deserved a Golden Globe nod for this. She really brings light, and depth to her character. The story is great, inspirational, and at times devastating. It feels so real and raw, and not at all contrived, like so many other movies of this genre. I also really liked the music, and the score is great. The director does a great job at bringing a true life story to the big screen, and making it seem realistic, and believable, and I applaud him for that. Definitely recommended.

A

Sun May 22, 2005 4:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Ehehehe! Wow, winning *strayed* high-schoolers over with snickers bars.

I didn't mind the premesis, and there have been alot of movies about teachers giving direction to unexpected students, but the actual scenes here were Pfeiffer tries to "earn" their respect, get them to focus up, and the class discussions are pretty silly. Smarter moments and concepts get dwarfed by the chocolate bar and "Her, I can bunch too," type scenes.

C+

Thu May 26, 2005 11:02 am
Veteran

Not a great movie, but anything with the incomparable Michelle Pfieffer deserves at least a B-.

Fri May 27, 2005 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

I ejoy this flick everytime i watch it. Sure some of the ways she tries to win them over are a bit lurid. But when she does, it's touching. And seeing them develop and grow up a little from their "who cares" attitudes. When the tragedy hits, it's a very touching tear jerker. Michelles peformance is great, and seeing her crying makes me drop a tear or two every time.

B+

Tue May 31, 2005 11:01 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Dangerous Minds
Despite being a huge fan of 90s Bruckheimer, I had put this one off for quite awhile. Was afraid that I was just too late on it. Surely it had been parodied too many times to still take seriously?

Well, in a way, it was just as corny and outdated as I had feared. Yet it also still worked really well somehow. I expected to see cynicism everywhere and was instead met with sincerity. Michelle Pfeifer really brings the heat and makes you understand why these troubled youths are falling so hard for her. All the young actors do great in their roles, and they never do any of the easy-cringe subplots at the school like rebeling against the soft-spoken but uncaring principal or having to turn down the fat married coworker after an inappropriate advance. The big stereotype they do hit is the tragic, preventable death of a student, but only one kid dying actually seems like a pretty decent ratio for a classroom in 2024. So maybe the stereotypes that critics found so objectionable back in the mid 90s really have faded with time? Are we allowed to have progress or is it better to just stick to outrage?

Anyway, I'ma go ahead and give Dangerous Minds a 9/10. We been spending most our lives livin in a gangster's paradise.

Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:47 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dangerous Minds
I loved the era of Dangerous Minds, Boston Public, Sister Act 2 of teachers turning around rebellious youth movies of the mid 90s to early 00s. Dangerous Minds gets a minimum 5/10 just for giving us that Coolio song.

Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]