Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Shack 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Shack 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Shack

Quote:
The Shack is an upcoming American faith-based drama film directed by Stuart Hazeldine and written by John Fusco based on the 2007 novel of the same name by William P. Young.[1] The film stars Sam Worthington, Octavia Spencer, and Graham Greene. Filming began on June 8, 2015 in Vancouver, Canada. The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on March 3, 2017.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Shack
Sight-unseen criticism of this movie and its concept: the trailer's major pivot seems to be the Octavia Spencer manifestation of God reassuring the Sam Worthington character She was always there, always present in his life and the world. (And She proves Her identity and power with this psychedelic retreat experience, allowing him to run on water with Jesus and stay in a summer idyll in the center of an icy forest and so on and so forth.) So, why should he care? Is it poignant there 100 percent is a God and this higher power was present as his daughter was abducted and murdered?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 pm
Extraordinary

Go see it and tell us the answer. :cool:

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 pm
why so serious?

Apparently...
Spoiler: show
She shows him the location of his daughter's remains, which has enough evidence for the cops to track down the killer.

The concept of a meeting with different representations of God has potential, but the trailer looks far too mawkish for me to give the film a chance. Moreover, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess that whatever hired gun directed this thing probably didn't do anywhere near as masterful of a job with the "I suffered with you" revelation as Scorsese did with Silence.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Wallflower

Webslinger wrote:
Apparently...
She shows him the location of his daughter's remains, which has enough evidence for the cops to track down the killer.

Shouldn't he be pissed God allowed this to happen in the first place?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 am
Hold the door!

Magic Mike wrote:
Webslinger wrote:
Apparently...

Shouldn't he be pissed God allowed this to happen in the first place?

He probably was upset at least at first but thinks someone else's free will is to blame,not a God. Haven't seen the film, but odds are they wouldn't have him be totally happy with God all the time.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:28 am
Forum General

I was pleasantly surprised with the film. Doesn't look like anyone who's commented has seen the film, so I won't post spoilers, but will say the reservations posted are dealt with in the film.

8/10

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes agreed. I saw the movie as well and do remember that the above comments are dealt fairly well into the movie. The movie overall is a big sermon with some innovative ideas and decent visuals but the adaptation is too safe and the ideas are forced in religious way but I can sense that the book really wanted to resolve them in a way that would be suitable for non-believers as well. The cast does a decent job and the backdrops are gorgeous.

5/10

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 am
Hold the door!

Not bad for the most part. It would be a good film if it were like a half hour shorter. But whose idea was it to make this film 2 hr 12 min long? The bits with the God personifications get repetitive after awhile. What I can say for it is that it is respectful of non believers and can likely be enjoyed by someone who isn't Christian.

C+

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]