Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Monster 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Monster 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Monster

Quote:
The Monster is a 2016 American horror film written and directed by Bryan Bertino. It stars Zoe Kazan, Scott Speedman, and Ella Ballentine. The film was released through DirecTV Cinema on October 6, 2016, before opening in a limited release on November 11, 2016, by A24.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:08 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Monster
This was very good. It's incredibly atmospheric and creepy, and Bryan Bertino develops a similar sense of dread that he did with the terrifying The Strangers from a few years ago. I actually loved the human element to it as well and the mother-daughter relationship at the center. Zoe Kazan was absolutely fantastic and heartbreaking, if this wasn't a genre film I would almost expect her to be getting awards attention. A part of me wishes the titular monster was never shown because I feel like the movie loses a bit of its effect once it does show up, but this is still well worth your time. B+

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I found this to be more of dark drama than a monster movie which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does take up a bit too much of the movie. That being said the acting from Zoe Kazan and her daughter is really solid and while it's very atmospheric the monster becomes less scary the more you see it, especially towards the end.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:27 pm
The Wall

*** / ***** (C)

It's not scary or tense. I agree with Dil that it's more of a dark drama with some horror elements. If it was edited differently it could be viewed as a The Babadook ripoff as you could easily view the monster as mother's inner demons. But the very lite story and the setting don't offer many options for ambiguity as a couple of redshirts are introduced every now and then so there can be some actual action on screen.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I liked it. Very good atmosphere and acting.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:07 pm
now we know

This is one of the worst films I've had the displeasure of sitting through. Just so boring. It's 90 minutes but feels like 4 hours. It thinks it is clever and suspenseful but it's just tedious. And that monster, lol. It's just a guy in a badly made Godzilla suit. Zoe Kazan gives a terrible performance but isn't helped by a shoddy script.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]