Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 War Dogs (2016) 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

War Dogs (2016) 
Pure Phase

Post War Dogs (2016)

Quote:
War Dogs (previously known as Arms and the Dudes) is a 2016 American biographical crime war comedy film directed by Todd Phillips and written by Phillips, Jason Smilovic and Stephen Chin, based on a Rolling Stone article by Guy Lawson. The film stars Jonah Hill, Miles Teller, Ana de Armas, J. B. Blanc and Bradley Cooper. Filming began on March 2, 2015 in Romania. The film premiered in New York City on August 3, 2016 and is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. Pictures on August 19, 2016.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:12 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: War Dogs (2016)
Bored with his life and emasculated by his low-paying job, a Miami masseur (Miles Teller) instantly agrees to partner with his best friend from junior high (Jonah Hill), a hard-living arms dealer. The previously one- and then two-man firm is devoted to fulfilling small-scale federal procurement contracts. As their operation flourishes, buoyed by dual Bush-era wars, their ambition expands. The duo's high-wire, highly lucrative, and often illicit scheming comes to a head when they are chosen to provide an enormous amount of weaponry and ammunition to the Afghan National Army. For this job, they secretly collaborate with a sinister gunrunner (Bradley Cooper) who is banned from entering into any deal with the U.S. government and promises fruitful connections in Albania. War Dogs is Old School and Hangover director Todd Phillips' self-conscious bid to direct a Martin Scorsese movie, a gambit which has served David O. Russell very well in recent years, as well as Adam McKay. Every element is here. There is the rapid camera zoom as characters snort lines of cocaine. There is the extensive roster of late-'60s and early-'70s hits (the ethos being no moment is so bad-ass it cannot be made even more bad-ass by Aerosmith or Creedence Clearwater Revival or the James Gang). There is the flashily masculine understanding of hustling and the American Dream, bolstered by wry and-this-you-won't-believe voice-over. And, in my opinion, Phillips does Scorsese well. War Dogs is not the most profound or complex study of the arms trade or war as a capitalist exercise, but it is a fairly enthralling ride. Its aggressive, sardonic sense of humor is apropos, and the lead actors are well-matched, with Hill almost perversely devouring the scenery (he is at once disturbing, hilarious, and magnetic) while Teller acquits himself admirably as the more straitlaced and moral protagonist. Cooper, too, leaves an impression in a small role as a more experienced and hardened trafficker; his eyes project a level of cruelty and resolve ultimately foreign to the overeager, profoundly inexperienced main characters.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:46 am
Sbil

More serious-minded than one might expect for a bro movie directed by Todd Phillips, War Dogs is entertaining Scorsese-lite. It's actually a pretty interesting and true story, but its ultimately hurt a bit by languid pacing near the end. Miles Teller is solid and likable as the story's narrator and moral center, but Jonah Hill is pretty terrific as an unhinged and borderline sociopathic variation on his morally corrupt Wolf of Wall Street character. B

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 am
Cream of the Crop

War Dogs presents an interesting real life story, but seems to lack any kind of zip. I expected more from Todd Phillips based on his filmography. It doesn't help that it co-stars Miles Teller, who is the acting equivalent of mayonnaise. *B*

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:25 am
Forum General

I highly enjoyed this. It's pretty much what I expected it to be from the trailers which is Lord of War meets Wolf of Wall street. Teller is solid, but it's Jonah Hill who steals the show. His character manages to be disgusting and hilarious at the same time. I also thought Bradley Cooper was utilized very well here despite his limited screen time and Ana de Armas is always a pleasure to look at even though she is definitely hotter as a blonde.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 pm
You must have big rats

Ana de Armas is just...wow.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:25 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Seriously, Jonah Hill is out of this world fat in this one.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:44 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It's a formula we've seen before, and it often feels too easy, but War Dogs is a humorous, worthwhile watch. Ana De Armas is beautifully captivating in a small role, with Teller as the straight man to Hill's over-the-top, aloof, Scarface-obsessed dude. The film had a fantastic selection of songs, which works well with Teller's voiceover to convey it as a true story (but a fun one). Bradley Cooper was a surprise and welcome addition as a veteran gun runner.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's Todd Phillips Big Short, though not quite as successful. Not learning a damn thing about Hill's character is the film's biggest mistake and keeps it from being something that could've been great. But man did I have a lot of fun watching this. With the exception of Wolf, this is Hill's best work yet, and Phillips sardonicism works very well with the subject matter. It's not his best movie, but it's the first film by Phillips where he has something on his mind.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This was a blast, was expecting a fun film and completely lived up to it. Hill would definitely be deserving for an acting nom for this and Teller is hardly anything worse. The story told from Teller's narration was great and he really puts you in and about it. Todd Philips does a great job of making the film, vivid, slick and with the right dash of humor. Film has a great score too and the interesting tale locked me in for the ride. Only the film doesn't feel very creative, it plays much like a mix of The Hangover, The Big Short, The Wolf of Wall Street and Goodfellas in the way it's represented. But damn it's fun, the most I had with a film of last year.

A-

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]