Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Florence Foster Jenkins 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Florence Foster Jenkins 
Pure Phase

Post Florence Foster Jenkins

Quote:
Florence Foster Jenkins is a 2016 British-French biographical comedy-drama film directed by Stephen Frears and written by Nicholas Martin. The film stars Meryl Streep as Florence Foster Jenkins, a New York heiress who became an opera singer known for her painful lack of singing skill. Other cast members include Hugh Grant, Simon Helberg, Nina Arianda and Rebecca Ferguson.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:17 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Florence Foster Jenkins
Hugh Grant and Meryl Streep are fine as the leads in Florence Foster Jenkins (though Simon Helberg is atrocious as McMoon the pianist, and I'm a fan of his work on Big Bang Theory). The setting design and costumes are impeccable. And the true story it's based on is an intriguing tale. So then, why didn't I like it? The tone of movie is off. I wanted to feel happy for Florence, but I only felt sorry for her. *C*

========================

The LATimes reviewer does a fine job of explaining the issue I had with the movie's tone:

Quote:
It’s a film that dares you to give it a bad review, simply so it can turn around and call you a bully who picks on the people who try. It invites you to giggle at Florence’s horrible singing and then promptly scolds you for laughing, creating a contradiction that goes unreconciled — to laugh or not to laugh at Florence’s tortured caterwauling?

...Frears is taking direct aim at critics, and at those who enjoy art ironically. He and writer Nicholas Martin make the argument that consuming art sarcastically is morally wrong, that bad reviews can be fatal, and that everyone who puts themselves out there deserves a participation trophy and a standing ovation. This medicine would be easier to swallow if the film didn’t ask us to laugh at her in the first place.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:18 pm
Sbil

This was rather disappointing for me. Meryl Streep is terrific as usual, and the scenes of Florence singing are certainly amusing. But Streep can't carry this movie on her shoulders alone. The rest of the movie feels off: odd characterization, an uneasy mix of tone, and what feels like a lack of depth/meat to the story itself. Hugh Grant is fine, though I found Simon Helberg's performance honestly rather awful and strange. C

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:38 am
Superman: The Movie

Exactly what it looked it, exactly what you'd expect, exactly met my expectations. Streep is great, Grant is charming, and Helberg holds his own.

I enjoyed it. It's lightweight and leaves no lasting impact, but I enjoyed watching it.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Meryl Streep is fantastic as always, and Hugh Grant is also great, but this feels very slight and actually becomes rather bothersome by the end. Simon Helberg was atrocious and I found his character creepy. It's worth a rental or watching on TV but it's not one of Meryl's best efforts. By contrast I thought last year's Ricki and the Flash was delightful and underrated. C+

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

How was his character creepy other than talking quietly and kind of squeakily?

I read him as wound-up, introverted, and shy more than anything else.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I too found Helberg's performance strange. It was way too over the top.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:08 am
Cream of the Crop

Ditto.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:45 am
Hold the door!

Fine movie. Streep should be above this type of film by this point, but it's not boring or bad in any way. It's all relatively light weight and harmless, but it's really not any better than the less awards hyped Ricki and the Flash.

B

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:59 pm
The Wall

***1/2 / ***** (B-)

Meryl Streep definitely lifted this movie from being just OK with her whimsical portrayal of Florence and made it a fun watch.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]