Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 The Boss (2016) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
D 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Boss (2016) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Boss (2016)
The Boss

Quote:
The Boss is a 2016 American comedy film directed by Ben Falcone and written by Falcone, Melissa McCarthy, and Steve Mallory. The film stars McCarthy, Kristen Bell, Peter Dinklage, Ella Anderson, Tyler Labine, Annie Mumolo, Kristen Schaal, Margo Martindale, and Kathy Bates. The film is scheduled to be released on April 8, 2016, by Universal Pictures.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Boss (2016)
THE BOSS

Another McCarthy vehicle and I like how she actually looks different in every film she does and creates a different style of character each time. That's why her roles are more fresh to me versus Hart who seems to play the same person each time but I do like them both. The character here is very self absorbed and raunchy. She is also driven though when we see her pushing the brownie company. The whole fight scene between the kids reminded me of Anchorman. The best scene for me was the whole sweater and breast touching sequence. Overall, I thought this film falls in the middle of the pack of McCarthy films. Leagues better than Tammy and more on par with Identity Thief entertainment wise.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:18 am
Extraordinary

Watchable but yeah, not good. McCarthy has proven that she can carry films though as even though the film isn't that good she's funny at times. Kristen Bell's character is so paper thin and the end where they break into Dinklage's building is pretty bizarre.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:19 pm
---------

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Watchable but yeah, not good. McCarthy has proven that she can carry films though as even though the film isn't that good she's funny at times. Kristen Bell's character is so paper thin and the end where they break into Dinklage's building is pretty bizarre.

What a bizarre ending sequence indeed, ha. I kind of dug of it just for the unpredictability of it though.

Melissa's great in it. The movie's maybe a hair below Identity Thief.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:32 am
Superman: The Movie

A mess, but far from Tammy levels of awful, and there are more hits than misses when it comes to laughs.

**½ (C+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Jmart wrote:
A mess, but far from Tammy levels of awful, and there are more hits than misses when it comes to laughs.

**½ (C+)

My thoughts almost exactly. Considering how horrible McCarthy's previous teaming with her husband, Tammy, was, The Boss definitely represents a major improvement. However, this is still way below the quality of her collaborations with Paul Feig. McCarthy is also the only person in the movie able to do anything of note, as poor Kristen Bell is saddled with a paper-thin, long-suffering assistant trope. There are definite laughs throughout, though, and it's not a terrible way to spend a couple of hours. C+

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:08 pm
Wallflower

I thought McCarthy was great and I did laugh a lot. I wish Bell had more to do but she's good as the "straight" character. She did make me laugh a couple times. The boob touching scene when Claire is getting ready for her date was pretty funny. The story itself is kind of weak but McCarthy makes it a pretty funny affair.

About on par with Identity Thief and better than Tammy.

7/10 ( B )

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:43 am
Cream of the Crop

Lousy screenplay (again) for Melissa McCarthy. For a person with so much charm and comedic talent, she sure doesn't know how to pick scripts husbands. While it was nice to see Kristen Bell again, I hope never to have to sit through this unfunny movie again. *D-*

Last edited by tree and a half on Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:30 am
Extraordinary

tree and a half wrote:
Lousy screenplay (again) for Melissa McCarthy. For a person with so much charm and comedic talent, she sure doesn't know how to pick scripts. While it was nice to see Kristen Bell again, I hope never to have to sit through this unfunny movie again. *D-*

Well it was a project with her husband, so this one isn't about picking scripts.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:15 pm
Cream of the Crop

Corrected above.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:31 pm
why so serious?

The Boss is a guilty pleasure, if nothing else. It's a decidedly problematic and unfocused film that seems to have had a whole lot of material left on the cutting room floor (and given the hit-or-miss nature of what made it into the final film, I can only wonder how bizarre or unfunny it might be), but I laughed often enough that I can't say I didn't enjoy myself in the process. The script leans heavily and unironically on formula (seriously, one can see exactly where the protagonist's arc is going, beat for beat, after the very first scene of the film), but it has its share of decent laughs. Melissa McCarthy wrings some laughs in the title role, but the greater number of misses in this film than in ones that she didn't write suggests that she's at her best when the filmmakers surrounding her can rein her in, which isn't the case here with her credit as screenwriter and the involvement of her husband, Ben Falcone, as the director. However, Kristen Bell is a piece of perfect casting as the straight (wo)man; her subtle comedic timing is spot-on, and she's a game comedic foil for McCarthy. The relationship between McCarthy, Bell, and Bell's daughter is also sufficiently appealing through the first two acts of the film that it's unfortunate that the film forces it into the paint-by-numbers motions of formulaic screenwriting. As a piece of throwaway entertainment, The Boss is sufficient; however, there's little doubt that it could have been a much more satisfying product if it had been more daring and focused.

C+

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:55 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

A good start but a by-the-books second act with an entirely muddled third act makes this a dull movie even moreso than Tammy. I am happy with Bell's casting but that character is thinly written and doesn't get even a single moment in the movie to prove its worth, always being played around by Darnell. Dinklage was underused, wasted and most of his funny bits miss the mark specially the third act which is entirely useless. McCarthy does a great job and while the character is good you can see it from the beginning how she will end up.

Also did I mention the AWFUL final act which was totally random and trying to parody Dinklage's connection with Game of Thrones. That just took me out of the movie entirely.

It wasn't an awful movie but it surely isn't worth re-watching. Most of the funny bits missed their mark.

4/10 [B-]

Mon May 02, 2016 12:40 am
now we know

Generic US comedy. I laughed once at the first time the bed flipped her against the wall, and then smiled at the sucking the guard's dick part. The rest is all quite unfunny, and the story is ludicrous, not to mention the film is highly sexist. Melissa McCarthy is one of the most unlikable and Kristen Bell is one of the most bland actresses in Hollywood.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat May 28, 2016 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Bizarre comedy.

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
The Boss

Generic US comedy.

As opposed to what other country?

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:43 am
now we know

Post Re: Re:
zwackerm wrote:
Algren wrote:
The Boss

Generic US comedy.

As opposed to what other country?

lol

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Guilty pleasure is probably the best way to describe this movie. I laughed quite a bit and was never bored. Definitely better than Tammy and I'd even say I enjoyed it more than the new Ghostbusters.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 pm
Hold the door!

tree and a half wrote:
Lousy screenplay (again) for Melissa McCarthy. For a person with so much charm and comedic talent, she sure doesn't know how to pick scripts husbands. While it was nice to see Kristen Bell again, I hope never to have to sit through this unfunny movie again. *D-*

Wow, Tree and a half didn't give this an A.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:00 pm
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
tree and a half wrote:

Wow, Tree and a half didn't give this an A.

Every once in awhile Bradley has a real opinion.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]