Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Deadpool 

What grade would you give this film?
A 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Deadpool 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Deadpool
Deadpool

Quote:
Deadpool is a 2016 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It is the eighth installment in the X-Men film series. The film is directed by Tim Miller, with a screenplay by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, and stars Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, Ed Skrein, T. J. Miller, Gina Carano, Brianna Hildebrand, Stefan Kapičić, and Leslie Uggams. The film follows Wade Wilson who, after being subjected to an experiment that leaves him with new abilities, hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

In February 2004, development for the film began with New Line Cinema. However, in March 2005, New Line Cinema put the film in turnaround and 20th Century Fox became interested. In May 2009, 20th Century Fox lent the film to writers, and in April 2011, Miller was hired to direct. Principal photography commenced in Vancouver, Canada, in March 2015 and ended in May.

Deadpool premiered in Paris on February 8, 2016, and is scheduled for release on February 12, 2016 in North America in IMAX and premium large formats.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Grill

Post Re: Deadpool
This movie made me a very very happy fanboy. Ryan Reynolds IS Deadpool. So hilarious and kick ass. And surprisingly, some of my favorite stuff in the film was the love story. She's a doll. Love her. Great great film. So excited for what's to come!

A

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:40 am
Romosexual!

MovieGeek wrote:
This movie made me a very very happy fanboy. Ryan Reynolds IS Deadpool. So hilarious and kick ass. And surprisingly, some of my favorite stuff in the film was the love story. She's a doll. Love her. Great great film. So excited for what's to come!

A

The love story was just perfect. :wub2: They were made for each other.

Everything else...... :thumbsup: I have to see it again cause I know I missed couple funny lines due to the audience LOL.

can't wait for the sequel with CABLE!!!!!!!! :ninja:

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am
Extraordinary

When it works it really works; the love story, action, breaking the fourth wall, etc. Unfortunately for me the film doesn't fire on all cylinders half the time.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 pm
You must have big rats

When will we ever see a big superhero movie with the said superhero being pegged on screen?

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Awesome!.. Thats pretty much all I need to say. It's pretty fucking awesome. Ryan Reynolds was born to play that role.

A

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:00 pm
I heet the canadian!

Seriously fabulous.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:00 am
Pure Phase

In Deadpool, a modestly scaled and mostly straightforward superhero origin story is supercharged with brutality, profanity, self-referential cynicism, and a certain form of anarchic posturing. The film is bogus to a degree—one can sense it adhering to formula even as it feigns kinky singularity, particularly when it confuses calling attention to a cliché with subverting a cliché—and a tad wearying by the end after mounting so, so many dead bodies and one-liners, but it also has an eager-to-please charm and a visual fluidity courtesy of first-time feature director Tim Miller, an F/X technician whose credits include Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and the oily-sexy opening credits of David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. After playing a widely maligned version of 'Pool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (which turned a character most famous for his deranged loquacity into a mute automaton), Ryan Reynolds' commitment to nerd redemption is clearly enormous, and the role suits his charismatic-bordering-on-frantic screen presence. Newcomer Brianna Hildebrand is also striking as über-obscure Professor X student Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and one hopes she is given more to do in future X-Men and/or Deadpool sequels.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:22 am
Devil's Advocate

Probably my favorite superhero film. As funny as it is, what makes it better is it cares about its storyline/characters and has heart. It could have gone the other way and just been shallow joke cracking, but it wasn't at all. Wade and Vanessa love story was awesome. The sequence of them getting together up to the diagnosis is one of the best parts of the film. Wade is a character who's felt real pain and disappointment in his life, and his jokes almost come from the same place as Damon in The Martian's where it's admirable he can keep up his spirit no matter the conditions. Stuff like the pain of being too ashamed to show his face to her, made him more relatable. All the supporting characters like Colossus, moody teenage nuclear whatever, blind crackhead grandma, taxi driver guy, bartending side-kick worked. Francis while typically evil, was great compared to MCU villain standards recently, I just felt the genuine hatred between him and Wade (but also love???) and desire to kick each other's asses. The action scenes were very strong. Overall this film has everything - it's hilarious, has a great romance, has good fights. An instant classic

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:31 am
100% That Bitch

A

Probably my fave superhero movie since tdkr

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:06 am
Forum General

That was fucking AWESOME. Easily better than the last two Vaughn/Singer X-Men movies and just behind X2 as my favorite. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it that much, but I had a blast and it helps seeing it with a BIG audience. The humor was great and I'm so glad they didn't spoil everything in the trailers. Reynolds casting is perfection and it's completely his show the entire time. I even dug the romance between him and his girl and that is usually the weakest stuff in these type of films for me. I actually got invested in their relationship and when things took a serious turn it was handled really well. The action sequences are badass and violent and the smaller scope didn't bother me one bit. It worked much better here than in ANT-MAN IMO. Supporting cast is pretty solid aswell especially Miller, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

As far as villains go Carano and Skrein were capable if unspectacular, but this was a very welcomed improvement for Skrein in comparison to shit like Transporter: Refueled.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:29 am
Hold the door!

Are people here comic readers? The trailers did nothing for me.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:43 am
Pure Phase

Question in retrospect: what are they fighting on in the end? An...aircraft carrier at a scrapyard in downtown Vancouver?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 am
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:
Are people here comic readers? The trailers did nothing for me.

I'm not much of a comicbook guy and I didn't even know who Deadpool was until X-Men Origins. That being said I did expect it to be ALOT of dick/sex jokes and while there are some I was surprised at how clever the humor was at times. The random shots of the abandoned X-Men academy were enough to make me crack up and the payoff that came later was excellent. The McCavoy/Stewart joke was great too.

David wrote:
Question in retrospect: what are they fighting on in the end? An...aircraft carrier at a scrapyard in downtown Vancouver?

Looked like a beached Hellacarrier to me lol!.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:14 am
I heet the canadian!

David wrote:
My first thought was it's supposed to be one of the ruined flying aircraft carriers from Captain American 2. It'd be a weird nod, all things considered, but with this film... probably par for the course.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:18 am
Extraordinary

It was a Helicarrier.

Fun movie, but it ran out of steam by the end. This is a comedy, and a good one, but 108 minutes is just too long to keep that sort of momentum up.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:00 am
Sbil

Deadpool's tone is so self-aware and smug that it could've been obnoxious in the wrong hands, but thankfully Ryan Reynolds and the filmmakers keep it perfectly moving along. This is an at times hilarious, rollicking good time that manages to be a change of pace from the exhausting years of non-stop superhero movies we've had. After years of struggling to find a film that suits him, Reynolds hits the bullseye here. This is definitely his movie through and through, though Morena Baccarin is appealing and helps the central romance have enough relevance to get the audience to care. B+

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Not best superhero film ever but it is definitely very entertaining and is a nice homage to the character even if not all of the jokes land strongly.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Honestly, the movie tries way too hard. It works in the moment because it is so original, but I was certainly something a little stronger than we received. The majority of the jokes are not funny, which for a comedy is bad. The more random the jokes were better ("God I miss cocaine" or the picture of Hugh Jackman) than the ones which are supposed to be funny. The romance is non existent. The bad guys retarded. Honestly, the folks saying Reynolds kills it...I really don't agree. A lot of his schtick is way too over the top ala prime Jim Carrey. For example, the convos between Wade and his GF are beyond annoying after the first few minutes, even though they're supposed to be funny in a weird sort of way.

It works through sheer originality, but I can't help thinking there is a much better version of this same set up out there.

I'd give it a solid B-. The folks saying this is their fave comic book movie...settle.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 pm
Superfreak

publicenemy#1 wrote:
When it works it really works; the love story, action, breaking the fourth wall, etc. Unfortunately for me the film doesn't fire on all cylinders half the time.

Pretty much this. Way too much stupid here.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 pm

What!? Excel downplaying an extremely popular Marvel film? I'm shocked

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:13 am
You must have big rats

The Dark Shape wrote:
It was a Helicarrier.

Not really.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/02/e ... -joke.html

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was an aircraft carrier that flies but Marvel said couldn't be actually be a Helicarrier, so they redesigned it.

But it's still an aircraft carrier that flies, which means it's still really a Helicarrier. Reese and Wernick joked in an interview at HitFix a couple days ago that they just made a couple tweaks to it.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:48 pm
Superfreak

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
What!? Excel downplaying an extremely popular Marvel film? I'm shocked

I love Marvels 3 most popular films (avengers, iron man, and ca2). :yes:

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 pm
Forum General

B-

As usual, American humour falters when carrying over to non-Americans.

Action was so-so, best bit was from the first trailer. Humour fell in a lot of places.

David hits the nail on the head with this gem:

confuses calling attention to a cliché with subverting a cliché

In particular, the final embrace between Deadpool and lover. Just fit to a tee superhero relationships. All about the male, the female is there to act as something pretty to look at and suck cock nicely. All the previous characterization out the window. Couldn't tell her apart from Natalie Portman in Thor or whoever Captain America's love interests are or Paltrow, Holmes, etc etc etc.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next