Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Revenant 

What grade would you give this film?
A 61%  61%  [ 14 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

The Revenant 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Revenant
The Revenant

Quote:
The Revenant is an upcoming American biographical Western thriller film directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu. The screenplay by Mark L. Smith and Iñárritu is based on Michael Punke's 2002 novel of the same name. It is inspired by the life of frontiersman Hugh Glass (c. 1780–1833). The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Will Poulter, and Domhnall Gleeson.

Development of the film began in August 2001 when Akiva Goldsman purchased Punke's manuscript with the intent of producing the film. The film was originally set to be directed by Park Chan-wook with Samuel L. Jackson in mind to star, and later by John Hillcoat with Christian Bale in negotiations to star. Both directors left the project, and Iñárritu signed on to direct in August 2011. In April 2014, after several delays in production due to other projects, Iñárritu confirmed that he was beginning work on The Revenant and that DiCaprio would play the lead role. Principal photography began in October 2014 and ended in August 2015.

The film will have a limited theatrical release in the United States on December 25, 2015, followed by a wide release on January 8, 2016.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Revenant
This is magnificent and easily one of the year's best films. It's gorgeous, thrilling and thought-provoking, and features top-notch work from basically everyone involved. Despite the running time of over two and a half hours this really does fly by and really poses some interesting philosophical questions about life and culture. At its heart this is a tale of survival and revenge and it more than succeeds in that department as well - the climax is one of the most edge-of-your-seat sequences of the year. Leonardo DiCaprio is absolutely brilliant. I don't think this is a career-best performance, but it is one that both physically and emotionally commanding, and requires a massive amount from him while also arming him with very little dialogue. Because of this I feel fairly confident he will win his first Oscar for this movie - it's a completely immersive performance that really holds the whole thing together. He sells this character's plight sensationally and I think the emotional journey his character goes on as well will resonate with viewers. Also great is Tom Hardy as the villain - he's appropriately dastardly but the character is more complex than that and you come to understand some of his motivations. It's really a two man show for the most part but Domnhall Gleeson and Will Poulter also turn in fine supporting performances. The direction from Alejandro G. Innaritu is insane - the battle sequences are expertly staged and each shot is clearly put together with careful precision. Everything on a technical level is award worthy. The cinematography is absolutely STUNNING - some of the shots seriously reminded me of paintings and the whole film has a dreamlike atmosphere that contributes to the overall mood. This isn't exactly an uplifting movie - it is incredibly violent and hard to watch at times - but it will be hard to find one this year that is more visceral and affecting. A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:27 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

I've read that the bear attack scene is terrifying. Confirm?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, it's incredibly brutal and hard to watch.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:21 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

This is pretty badass. Because of Lubezki this felt more like it was from the director of Children of Men more any of Innaritu's films, the cinematography is uniquely phenomenal and captured the dangerous world Glass is in. I loved how major the Native American angle is in this, setting up from the beginning that how deadly they can be, but the film taking their side over the white man overall. The film wasn't about Glass vs mother nature to me, but man against man, whether Native-White or White-White.

DiCaprio didn't blow me away in his internal acting, but I liked being out there with Hugh Glass so he must have done something right from a movie star perspective, and he gets one great scene talking in the last act. To me I'd have preferred him to win his Oscar for The Wolf of Wall Street cause I feel roles like that and Catch Me If You Can are the uniquely DiCaprio ones he was born to play. I liked Tom Hardy just as much if not more, he just felt so much like that type of guy, really embodied the desperation and had more human in him than just evil. Domhnall Gleeson who is everywhere like that Jessica Chastain year these days is good also

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:06 pm
Top Poster

B, some excellent scenes particularly cinematography-wise, but the whole is not as great as individual parts. the first battle sequence and bear attack is masterful filmmaking at its finest, but the rest of movie just kind of drags and never reaches the heights of the first act.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Better than Birdman because it's not as pretentious and has a soul, but I was honestly still somewhat disappointed with this film. The opening battle sequence and the bear attack are easily the highlights aswell as the beautiful cinematography, but a lot of the movie does drag, especially in the middle section and it feels way too drawn out. I also didn't care for the subplot with the Indians finding girl and the French traders who just so happen to be led by an incredibly underused Lucas Haas. Leo is good and gives a very physically demanding performance, but I do believe Hardy stole the show more as a mumbling, despicable, redneck who's basically just trying to survive and only thinks about himself. Will Poulter gives a solid performance and is very sympathetic as Bridger and I thought Domnhall Gleeson was much better here than in Ex Machina and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The climax was pretty intense and had some well done, brutal scenes, but it wasn't really satisfying in the least.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:34 am
Pure Phase

Misfortune—an incursion by a Native American war party, an encounter with an enraged mother bear—leaves explorer and hunter Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) torn apart, nearly dead, and only able to watch as an unscrupulous associate (Tom Hardy) murders his teenage son and abandons him half buried in the snow and soil. Rather than perish, Glass comes to and resolves not only to survive, but also avenge the grisly crime committed against him.

A mythic revisionist Western, The Revenant is brutal and gorgeous, and director Alejandro G. Iñárritu damn well knows it. He is a solemn maximalist with a taste for big-budget showmanship and see-what-I-can-do stylistic envelope pushing, and no one can say this film is short on either snow-swept, rushing-river spectacle or frontier grotesquerie (the bowels of a dead horse, impromptu gunpowder cauterization). Every glorious-cum-painful moment is shot in natural light with a wide-angle lens attached to a roaming camera, and the film's prolonged, budget-inflating production in Canada and Argentina is already becoming industry legend. Where the hugely ambitious Iñárritu falls comparatively short is in crafting and conveying an emotional experience: his gargantuan film is exhausting and involving as a ride, as a tempest of sounds and images, but I would be lying if I said Glass is a particularly interesting or three-dimensional character beneath his bear pelt and mutilated flesh. And a motif involving his memories of his late, hyper-idealized Native American wife borders on camp with its heavy-handed, so-sage-is-the-other symbolism and imitation-Malick floating and twirling. Though clearly intended to counterbalance the man-versus-nature action-movie grit with a type of art-house grace, these fever-dream recollections end up the least successful part of the lengthy picture.

It is not his most authentic or deeply felt performance, but Leonardo DiCaprio's physicality is admirable: he bleeds, sweats, swims, grits his teeth, braves the subzero environs, recites Pawnee, and sees the endurance test through to completion without faltering. And Tom Hardy delivers a grandly oily performance as a despicable bastard who nonetheless seems at least a tad sensible with his worldview, "Life is hard and short. This place is too cold, and being scalped is not fun. Can I get paid and split?"

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:10 am
"no rank"

I'm seeing it for a third time this weekend. It's The New World meets Children of Men.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 am
loyalfromlondon

i worked on this movie

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:38 am
Keeping it Light

trixster wrote:
i worked on this movie

Tell me more, tell me more. What did you do?

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:15 pm
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
trixster wrote:
i worked on this movie

They needed an expert on bear rape?

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 pm
loyalfromlondon

stuffp wrote:
trixster wrote:
i worked on this movie

Tell me more, tell me more. What did you do?

production coordinator for one of the vfx studios that worked on it

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 pm
Keeping it Light

Cool

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm
Pure Phase

One change I strongly believe would improve this film: show an honest, natural, poignant scene or two between DiCaprio's character and his late wife or just cut her altogether and only reference his past. Her metaphysical representation verges on hokum and seems to come from a place of, "Oh, his wife was Native American, so his memories of her need to be psychedelic vision-quest type deals." I stifled a laugh when it cuts to her horizontally floating above him in a Malickian field.

And by extension, lose the constant reiteration of the tree-in-the-wind parable.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 am
Forum General

Atleast I'm not the only one who wasn't all that impressed with Dicaprio's performance here. I honestly think his performances from either The Wolf Wall Street or Django Unchained were better and much more deserving of Oscar talk. Not to say he was bad in this or anything, but he's mostly just making grunting noises or crazy wide eyed expressions.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 pm
Pure Phase

His physical commitment is beyond reproach, but I did not connect with the performance too deeply on an emotional/spiritual level. In a way, the most admirable part of his performance is how he turns himself into a prop and submits to the torture.

One distancing factor may be how incredible (read: fairly unbelievable) Hugh Glass' fictionalized survival is. It almost ceases to be the story of a man fighting to survive and more a story of a man God (the plot) will not let die regardless of how many freezing waters he plunges into nor how many cliffs he rides over.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:34 pm
Sbil

The Revenant is a stunning exercise in cinema in terms of its gorgeous production. The film is just beautiful to look at, and in many ways, felt like an immersive sensory experience to me. Where the film doesn't totally get it right: it's surprisingly thematically shallow. There was definitely less meat to Glass' return and thirst for retribution than I was expecting, likely not helped by the presence of Tom Hardy's Snidely Whiplash-esque antagonist. Hardy is fine in the role, but the character comes across as borderline cartoonish at times. Leonardo DiCaprio, on the other hand, is outstanding. It almost doesn't matter that we don't end up learning all that much about Glass; DiCaprio is so committed to the exhausting physicality and suffering of this role. It's another great performance from one of Hollywood's most reliable actors. While I feel the film falls short of greatness due to its hollow narrative construction, the sheer technical ambition on display, as well as fantastic work from DiCaprio, makes The Revenant something that should be seen on a big screen. B+

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28 pm
I heet the canadian!

David wrote:
One change I strongly believe would improve this film: show an honest, natural, poignant scene or two between DiCaprio's character and his late wife or just cut her altogether and only reference his past. Her metaphysical representation verges on hokum and seems to come from a place of, "Oh, his wife was Native American, so his memories of her need to be psychedelic vision-quest type deals." I stifled a laugh when it cuts to her horizontally floating above him in a Malickian field.

And by extension, lose the constant reiteration of the tree-in-the-wind parable.
Strongly agree with this. I liked the movie quite a bit but all the metaphysical stuff just felt like time wasters in a movie that is pretty damn long. I would also argue the final shots would have been more effective if that was the first time we saw his wife.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:53 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

This is superb. Loved it.

Hardy steels the show. Direction and cinematography are stunning.

Grade : A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:49 am
Grill

Loved it. Beautifully shot and extremely well acted. Leo was great and that bear scene was fantastic and hard to watch.

A

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm
Extraordinary

Masterfully made. I think I would be fine with Leo winning the Oscar. It's much more of a physical performance but he sells it. I'm not much of a Hardy fan so I guess he did a good job making me not like him more.

I do agree with those saying the first act is far beyond good while the rest isn't up to par.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

The first act is so good its really hard to maintain that level of brilliance. The fact that the rest of the story is fairly predictable (not in a bad way) makes it even harder to live up to the start.

The first act alone makes this of the best films of the year.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:22 pm
The Kramer

I guess third time was the charm as Innaritu finally scores a win with me. Revenant is pretty great. This time period is underused in Hollywood, mostly because its one of America's sore spots. The frontier setting really does lend itself to some gorgeous photography though. The calm, but terrifying world The Revenant creates is its greatest strength.

I agree with you all that Tom Hardy was the standout actor. He really becomes that character, such an asshole but also uncomfortabley sympathetic. Leo is great too, but he's too busy getting his ass kicked for most of the movie. The movie spends a little to much time wirh Leo in the wild. I get they were trying to really emphasize how hard he fought to survive, but I think we got it 15 minutes before he gets back.

I was worried Innaritu would let the film get away from him again, but he actually delivered exactly what I wanted with the finish. The film gains a new life as Leo chases down Hardy, finalky giving us the movie the trailers indicated. It reminded me of The End's boss battle in Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. I'm glad the Native American woman had some purpose, but the cynic in me wonders if that entire plotline was there only to prevent the movie from being labeled "racist". They've gone heavy on this in the promotion as well, although I'm not sure what this movie actually does for Native Americans.

Not a perfect film, but very strong for the first and third acts. I'm glad I gave this Mexican another chance.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:31 pm
Superman: The Movie

A slog. A gorgeous, wonderfully acted, meditative slog.

**½ (C+) (The + is for the craft)

And is it weird that even though he's clearly the bad guy, I empathized a lot more with Hardy than I did DiCaprio?

Give DiCaprio the Oscar and then let's just forget it.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next