Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trainwreck 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Trainwreck 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Trainwreck
Trainwreck

Quote:
Trainwreck is an upcoming American comedy film directed by Judd Apatow and written by Amy Schumer. The film stars Schumer along with an ensemble cast that includes Tilda Swinton, Bill Hader, Brie Larson, Colin Quinn, Barkhad Abdi, Mike Birbiglia, Jon Glaser, Vanessa Bayer, John Cena, Ezra Miller, LeBron James, Method Man, Jim Norton and Norman Lloyd.

Principal photography began on May 19, 2014 in New York City. The film is scheduled to be released on July 17, 2015, by Universal Pictures.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Trainwreck
In true Apatow fashion there is a good chunk of the film that's excessive but Amy Schumer proves to be a great anchor to this. She nails both the humor and dramatic moments. I feel like some of the early reviews are a little hyperbolic about how good this is because for me minus the crude humor and the stuff dealing with the dad this felt like a romantic comedy, which I certainly enjoyed but I didn't find it perfect or brilliant with new things to say about relationships but idk.Schumer and Hader are great together though, and the ending is very cute.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:51 pm
New Server, Same X

As someone who just binged on the awesome first two seasons of her show on DVD (gloriously uncensored), I'm hoping this proves to be a box office hit for her. Although I think her style is best suited for TV.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm going to the premiere in New York on the 14th. Cannot wait. This is my most anticipated movie of the summer.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I LOVED THIS. This was the funniest, sweetest movie I've seen in years. I could not stop laughing and it is actually incredibly touching as well - a segment in the middle made me cry. Amy Schumer is AMAZING and such a talent. The ending is so adorable and going to be in the upper echelon of romantic comedy closers without question. SO GOOD. A

Amy and Colin Quinn deserve awards consideration.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:37 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

How is Brie Larson? Does she get a good amount of screen time?

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Magic Mike wrote:

She's great. She's essentially the third lead and has a lot of screentime.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I can't get "Uptown Girl" out of my head after seeing this :wub:

The ending of this movie is so precious.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:07 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

She's great. She's essentially the third lead and has a lot of screentime.

Good to hear. I'm glad she isn't wasted.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Seeing this again Sunday and I seriously cannot wait. Love this movie.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:41 am
Profile YIM
why so serious?

Trainwreck stands out simultaneously as a scorching big screen debut for Amy Schumer, a return to form for director Judd Apatow, and a hilarious film in its own right. As a vehicle for Schumer, it's difficult to think of many ways in which it could be stronger. Her writing has a clear and appealing edge to it, and her character's more poignant moments are woven delicately and seamlessly into the barrage of vulgar humor. Schumer's Amy (heh) could be obnoxious, but she comes off instead as authentic and strangely endearing despite her hardened attitudes about love and interpersonal interactions. And thankfully, the edge in Schumer's standup work translates well to this new medium. Schumer also gets a surprisingly great romantic scene partner in Bill Hader, who moves on from his usual oddball comic relief schtick to successfully play a charming, low-key love interest. Schumer's sharp script is also paired almost-perfectly with Judd Apatow's direction. Even though Apatow does elect to drag a few scenes on a bit too long, his work with comedic and dramatic scenes is as sharp as it has ever been, and his approach is significantly more focused than it has been since Knocked Up.

A-

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm
Sbil

Amy Schumer may have singlehandedly revived the romantic comedy with Trainwreck, which manages the tricky task of being gut-bustingly hilarious with a healthy dollop of sincerity and ribald cuteness. Not only is the screenplay about perfect, Schumer proves herself to be a surprisingly well-rounded actress. I just adored the chemistry she had with Bill Hader, and almost every predictable cliche is sidestepped here. The film is blessed with an eclectic supporting cast, including not one but two hilarious performances by athletes (hats off to LeBron and John Cena). It's an auspicious, infectious debut for Schumer and immediately vaults her onto the cinematic landscape. A

Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:16 am
Pure Phase

Though already on the popular-culture radar as a gifted, at times divisive comic and writer due to her series on Comedy Central, Amy Schumer boldly establishes herself as a true-blue film star in the risqué, yet heartfelt Trainwreck, directed by Judd Apatow, the godfather of the mainstream American comedy in the 21st century. She plays another Amy, a hard-living, fidelity-averse journalist who is unsure how to react when she develops a genuine romantic interest in an interview subject, an orthopedic surgeon for celebrity athletes (Bill Hader, sweet and subdued). This is instantly recognizable as an Apatow film. I say this as a compliment and as a modest criticism: it runs long, pursuing a few characters and subplots past their natural expiration date, and much of third act functions as a halfhearted soap-opera paean to redemption via domesticity, a crowd-pleasing, if rather square and predictable pet theme of Apatow's. Other stretches of the film are supercharged with uproarious improvisational flair, however, and Schumer is awarded ample time to create a dynamic, flawed, sexy, and vital heroine, a three-dimensional character both driven and haunted by the depth of her desire and exuberant enjoyment of life.

B+

I have to say, though: I seem to be in an extreme minority, but I was not overly impressed by LeBron James. Maybe because I do not follow sports at all and have no special feeling for him beyond knowing, "Oh, right. LeBron James is a famous athlete. I have heard his name a lot." I thought he seemed uncomfortable and self-conscious in front of the camera. I only laughed a lot at Hader's reactions during their basketball scene.

Oh, and those Daniel Radcliffe/Marisa Tomei bits are just deadly bad.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:13 am
Forum General

After seeing it twice (well, one and a half times, the second time I missed the first 40 minutes), I can easily say that that I loved it and it is absolutely wonderful. The issues I had with it the first time were pretty much gone the second time (besides the terrible intervention scene, there is no reason for that to exist but I can forgive because the rest of the movie is so wonderful). Amy Schumer is a true genius and I can't wait for her to release more films. She is hilarious, charming, sexy and nails every dramatic beat of her performance. The film overall isn't as hilarious as I expected it to be (chalk that up to ridiculous expectations) but it was such a wonderful romantic comedy and the ending was dynamite.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

The intervention scene feels beamed in from another, much broader movie. It completely abandons any resemblance to grounded human behavior.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I had a fun, enjoyable time watching this one.

I'm not too big on comedies, but this provided numerous laughs throughout. B+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Saw this again and it was even funnier the second time.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:33 pm
Profile YIM
Superfreak

Holy crap. This movie was hysterical. Legs are going to be great.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:26 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The baby shower scene is the funniest scene of the year, IMO.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:36 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

The movie holds up well on second viewing.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:18 pm
Extraordinary

Felt pretty much the same way as I did about KNOCKED UP: funny, but I hated the main character so much that I couldn't invest in the romance, and basically wanted them to go away so the other characters could be happy.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:34 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Funny film but no scene really stands out from the rest. Still not entirely sold on Schumer but she is fine here. Really everyone in the film does a good job in their role.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

My review is going to make me sound like I didn't like it, so I just want to get this out of the way; I liked it. It's quite funny. However, it's also frustratingly conventional and coming from Schumer and Apatow that's a disappointment. Not unless we think role reversals in cliched romantic comedy moments are bold now. Don't get me wrong, Trainwreck is a good romantic comedy, but this isn't the second coming of comedy.

Also like TDS hinted at, I don't get what Hader sees in her. And her reversal at the end didn't feel earned at all. Amy dancing with the cheerleaders is a cute moment though.

And just like with any Apatow movie, it's way too long. It's not quite as obscene as Funny People (though I liked that movie more and it earns most of its running time, but it didn't need to be 140 minutes), but there's a pretty good 95 movie in here. Or at the very least cut out all the Ezra Miller horseshit (and the Radcliffe/Tomei stuff AND the intervention while we're at it) and give us more Colin Quinn.

But as I said, I did I fact enjoy the film and I'm looking forward to see what Schumer and Apatow do next. But I can also say with quite some ease that this is my least favorite of Apatow's films.

*** (B)

And I didn't even realize until the credits came up that Tilda Swinton was in the film. Could've done with less of her. And in a better movie, Amy would've quit that job, especially if it's apparently so easy to get work at Vanity Fair. I thought she was going to do it at a slightly earlier point, but instead they chose to do that Ezra Miller crap and took away any assertiveness she might have had.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It also didn't help that I had two people sitting behind me commenting every time she dared to do something subversive (aka not being a conventional leading lady in a romantic comedy). Repeating lines she just said, or saying "oh no" numerous upon numerous times. I don't get morons like this. WE'RE ALSO WATCHING THE FILM WITH YOU DIPSHITS. THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE IN THE THEATER IS DOING. STOP EXTERNALIZING EVERY FUCKING THOUGHT! YOU ADD NOTHING!

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I don't even understand how people didn't know it was Tilda Swinton. It's not like she's unrecognizable.

The intervention scene is the only part I felt was extraneous.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:38 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next