Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Inside Out 

How do you rate this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 24 ]
B 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Inside Out 
Extraordinary

Post Inside Out
Inside Out

Quote:
Inside Out is a 2015 American 3D computer-animated fantasy–comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The film is based on an original idea by Pete Docter, who is directing the film along with co-director Ronnie del Carmen, and producer Jonas Rivera. The film's voice cast features Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Bill Hader, Lewis Black and Mindy Kaling. The film is set in the mind of a young girl, Riley Anderson, where five emotions—Joy, Anger, Disgust, Fear and Sadness—try to lead her through her life.

A

Absolutely spectacular. A perfect mix of emotions that Pixar, and particularly Pete Docter, does so well. Hilarious, sad, exciting.

Calling something "the best Pixar film ever!" is silly, because that comes down to personal taste moreso than the individual quality of the movies (how do you compare Up to The Incredibles to Wall-E to the Toy Story films?), but this definitely belongs in the highest tier.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Inside Out
This was just absolutely amazing and one of the best Pixar movies ever. It's absolutely gorgeous on a technical level - the animation is stunning and there are so many inventive things going on visually that it almost demands a second viewing. It's hilarious - there are a ton of great sight gags and one-liners played to perfection. It is perfectly cast. Every single actor that is involved with this fits their role like a glove. Amy Poehler is the definite standout though and gives a performance akin to Ellen DeGeneres in Finding Nemo. It is also tremendously moving and heartfelt and is sure to leave many in tears at certain points. I cried at least 3 or 4 times - one scene near the end with a certain character got to me as much as the ending in Toy Story 3 and was heartbreakingly beautiful. Above all, this is one of the most insanely creative and original scripts I've seen in years. There's nothing to take issue with here. All of it works. This is the year's best film so far. A+

I didn't really care for the short that preceded it though. I found it fairly stupid.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:41 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I dare anyone seeing this movie to not sob at Bing Bong's last scene. I swear. Every time I think about it I want to cry.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:36 pm
Profile YIM
You are waiting for a train

Pixar's best films take broad, ridiculous, what-if components (rat chefs, romantic bots, talking toys, houses that fly) and use them to tell just as universal but generally more painfully emotional stories about adulation, success, loss, maturity, and just about any other raw nerve you can think of. INSIDE OUT is perhaps the best example of why Pixar's formula works so splendidly--Docter and company turn the mechanics of the mind into complete metaphor to tell a thrilling, funny, fast-paced adventure that's literally all about a 12-year-old girl developing complex emotions and memories. This is the endless spacial imagination of MONSTERS INC. weaved with the coming of age complexity of UP. This movie is the real freaking deal, folks. Not to even mention it has possibly the best Pixar voice performance in Amy Poehler and the best Pixar score in Michael Giacchino.

I'll let you know where it ranks among the Pixars once I've seen it three more times but I can tell you right now it's one of their best.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw one review that said that they were more invested in whether one of Riley's 'worlds' inside her head would collapse than anything that happened in Jurassic World's action sequences and I'd have to agree with that.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:04 pm
Profile YIM
Superfreak

No tears but very happy I went to see it. My kids liked it though as Magnus said it isnt really THAT funny. Pixar really flexing it's muscles in terms of originality, creativity, and execution. What a bizarre story but it works great, Poehler is fantastic. Agreed with TC...there are a lot of impressive vocal performances throughout pixar but she is up there.

Some of the stuff...

Spoiler: show
like the cc and bus

was a little far fetched to me. But the bing bong there was powerful shit.

Simplicity is always Pixar's key and this works so well here.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 pm
Superfreak

I don't think I can pick a best pixar film.

INCREDIBLES is probably my favorite. By best? Toy Story 1 and 2, Nemo, UP, Wall-e, this film, Im probably forgetting some...

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 pm
Grill

Ugh. Bing Bong...

A

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:17 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

"Take her to the moon for me..."

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:35 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Beautiful, hilarious, heart warming and moving. One of the best things to come out of Pixar. I cried twice, by the way.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:08 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Fantastic. Having the general idea is one thing, but they're so creative in its presentation. And it's easily one of Pixar's most emotional films to date. Bing Bong shined and will be one of those supporting characters that people instead remember the most, like Dory.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Who the fuck gave it a B?

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:30 am
Hold the door!

Magnus wrote:
it's not as hilarious as the other Pixar classics (not saying it isn't funny but I laughed more at Wall-E.

What part of Wall-E was funny?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:58 pm
Superfreak

thompsoncory wrote:
"Take her to the moon for me..."

:tears: :tears: :tears:

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:47 pm
Pure Phase

The new Disney-Pixar film Inside Out has a rather ingenious and unusual idea: it personifies the central moods, sensations, and sentiments (Anger, Fear, Joy, and so forth) and places them in a mental environment where imagination, long-term memory, etc. are not just conceptual, but navigable and interconnected places. The film's color-coded animated cast exists inside the mind of an adolescent girl, Riley, and they face a crisis when she is transplanted by her parents from her beloved Minnesota to the great unknown of San Francisco. (There are also stereotypical-but-still-amusing visits inside the mother and father's heads. The voices in his head are are well-intentioned, but a bit boorish and distracted by sports. The ones in hers tend toward the maternal, but also find time to obsess over memories of a Latin lover. The film gets away with it.)

The concept of the film is also strange in a way: the protagonists inside of the mind of Riley are so distinctive, so strongly indicative of sentience. As a result, it is hard to regard them as manifestations of her identity. It is easier to see Riley as their subservient ward. Pursuing this train of thought (no pun intended) renders parts of the film a tad creepy in a free-will-demolishing/Matrix type of way, but, then again, this is the same animation studio which previously envisioned a human-and-animal-free earth under the dominion of automobiles and planes. I am glad to report any potential discomfort is strongly counterbalanced by the vast amount of charm and invention on display. The film's momentum sags a tad in the second act, and I found it hard to invest in Riley and her parents as characters, but there are also perfectly conceived and executed (and hugely entertaining) set pieces galore, including a particularly novel one finding Joy, Sadness, and now-unemployed imaginary friend Bing Bong being abstracted and then reconstructed. And the film's ultimate moral (regarding euphoria, melancholy, and how they can coexist and complement one another) is thoughtful and conveyed with the characteristic Pixar fusion of wit and earnest sentimentality.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:40 pm
Pure Phase

Part of me wants to believe Bing Bong was shoehorned in because they could sense Sadness not panning out as a Dory-style scene stealer.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:45 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

The concept seems a bit abstract and complex for children and I didn't really like Bing Bong. He was borderline annoying and treads similar ground to the toys in Toy Story 2 and 3 and their uselessness--or rather forgotteness-- to an aging/aged Andy.

B-

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

It's a masterpiece, I totally loved every scene of it. Inside Out is fun, sad and funny (jokes worked and didn't seem forced).
Story is flawless and inventive, action is great, and animation looks gorgeous.... my favorite film of the year.

A+

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:50 am
Extraordinary

It truly is a wonderful film. All the gripes I had with it the first viewing faded when I saw it again. I don't remember the last time I cried multiple times for a film but I certainly did both times I watched this.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:43 am
loyalfromlondon

emotive

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:40 am
why so serious?

With Inside Out, Pixar returns to its classic form in grand fashion. Like the best of their films, it takes an odd-yet-intriguing premise and carries it out to its fullest potential. On the one hand, the characters have wonderfully funny and heartwarming interplay with one another, the humor hits the mark on almost every single occasion, the animation is a feast for the eyes, and the storytelling is so adept at reaching viewers of all ages at some level that it's difficult to imagine many viewers coming away from it without a smile on their face. On the other hand, its study of emotions and the difficulties of growing up, moving on, and coping with difficult feelings (and being an adult placed in charge of a child going through such struggles) is genuinely poignant and incredibly well-realized. Even though the potential certainly exists for each of the anthropomorphic representations of the protagonist's personality to come off as one-note, writer/director Pete Docter wisely imbues them with multifaceted personalities and complex motivations that make them fascinating to watch and keep the stakes high despite the absence of an antagonist. Given that Pixar has built its strong reputation from gracefully tapping into the emotions of their viewers, it's all too fitting that they produce a film like Inside Out that not only represents said emotions as characters, but also navigates a viewer's own emotions in an absolutely joyous and exhilarating experience.

A

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:50 pm
Sbil

It's simply wonderful, a complex, awesomely constructed examination of how our emotions guide our development. Definitely top tier Pixar. A

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:42 pm
Romosexual!

What a sweet movie. I cried couple times.

Damn you PIXAR!

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:43 pm
You are waiting for a train

Magnus wrote:
You could argue that the film should of had more emotions than just the five presented but they had to keep it to five for the sake of storytelling.

My showing had a Q&A with Docter afterwards and they had all different sorts of emotions/combinations. One emotion they to cut was schadenfreude, which was just a German guy in the control room who repeatedly said "I FIND YOUR PAIN AMUSING."

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 am
Devil's Advocate

This is great. Definitely the most emotional I've gotten during a Pixar film and it was really funny too. One of their most visually beautiful and interesting films and one of their most complex. There's so many little touches I like such as sadness being in charge in the mom's brain and anger being in charge in the father's brain. Joy is still there it's just more rare rather than the dominant like it is when you're a kid. Or how the basic storyline of two characters getting lost and having to find their way back again echoes Riley's so much. Or how Joy's arc of hitting rock bottom, letting the sadness in when she sees Riley's memories, then figuring out there's a value in sadness mirrors the real emotional arc of Riley trying to block out sadness before realizing she needs to let them both happen and that you can't just choose Joy in every situation like she tries to at the beginning. Or how about the brilliance of how in a film that ends up being an ode to the value of sadness, the most powerful emotion it triggers for most who watch it is sadness, slightly more memorable than joy for the rest of the film. Inside Out is a film about the powers of emotion that is itself by far Pixar's most emotionally driven film - of course. This is a unique and beautiful film

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next