Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Divergent Series: Insurgent 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Divergent Series: Insurgent

Quote:
The Divergent Series: Insurgent (also known as Insurgent) is a 2015 science fiction action film directed by Robert Schwentke, based on Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent trilogy, written by Veronica Roth. It is the sequel to the 2014 film Divergent and the second installment in The Divergent Series, produced by Lucy Fisher, Pouya Shabazian and Douglas Wick, with a screenplay by Brian Duffield, Akiva Goldsman, and Mark Bomback. Robert Schwentke took over from Neil Burger as director, while Burger will serve as the executive producer of the film. Adding to the existing cast, the supporting cast was filled out with Octavia Spencer, Naomi Watts, Suki Waterhouse, Rosa Salazar, Daniel Dae Kim, Jonny Weston, Emjay Anthony, and Keiynan Lonsdale.

The plot of Insurgent takes place three days after the previous installment and continues to follow Tris Prior; Tris and Four are on the run after evading a hostile takeover from Jeanine and the rest of Erudite. The faction system in post-apocalyptic Chicago is crumbling, and everyone is desperate for power — and answers. Filming began on May 27, 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia, before officially concluding on September 6, 2014.

The Divergent Series: Insurgent is scheduled to be released on March 20, 2015 in the United States in the IMAX 3D format as well as regular 3D and 2D.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Divergent Series: Insurgent
I was sadly very disappointed with this. I enjoyed the first one a lot but this just felt sloppy; there is no breathing room for the characters, things just happen with no thought put into them. Woodley continues to be very good but she can't save this. Naomi Watts was decent although she didn't have very much to do. As I was watching the movie I was surprised by how quickly it moved given I read the book. That ending. :lol: Hunger Games has had two pretty decent cliffhangers while this one is sorta like huh? Totally random.
Spoiler: show
Also in the book several of the main characters decide to go beyond Chicago to see beyond the walls, while the end has masses of people leaving. Again, huh?

This movie makes a good case for Allegiant being two parts as maybe the next couple of films will take time with its characters and what actually happens. But if the next two are as sloppy as this then chh.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:14 am
Sbil

I thought this was OK. I liked the first one a little more, and this is actually dumber (and that one wasn't exactly a Mensa movie to begin with), but it's entertaining enough. Shailene Woodley doesn't really have as much to work with this time. The standout of the cast is obviously Miles Teller, who steals every single scene he has. B-

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Pure Phase

An easy-to-watch, yet inferior sequel. It may not be a popular opinion to hold, but I highly enjoy the first film in what is now the Divergent Series. It counterbalances certain absurdities and shortcomings by foregrounding heroine Tris' sense of discovery (both wondrous and fearful) and, by extension, awarding gifted lead Shailene Woodley the space to deliver an interesting performance. As a result, her choices—when to conform, when to rebel, when to love—play as authentic and substantial. The second film, subtitled Insurgent, zips in another direction. It is a more compact and forceful film, yet also more impersonal. It is no longer one's girl story in a science-fiction context. Instead, Tris is a moving part among many, and the greater emphasis on the franchise's mythology and its in-universe civil war shines a harsher light on how juvenile and thinly imagined much of it is (can the characters get to "Candor" and reunite with "Dauntless" before such-and-such and so-and-so and who cares?). I can invest in Tris and did in the first film. Her world and its politics? Not so much. On the plus side, journeyman studio craftsman Robert Schwentke, replacing the more idiosyncratic Neil Burger in the director's chair, crafts overtly "cool," Matrix-indebted action sequences which are fluid and fun, and Woodley is still a fairly riveting presence despite the diminished writing of her character. The film also wisely heavily utilizes its now-much-more-celebrated-post-Whiplash contract player Miles Teller, particularly in a third-act whirlwind of shifting loyalties.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:07 am
Pure Phase

"No Allegiant paychecks for you, Winslet!"
- gun-toting Naomi Watts

On another note, the Tris/Four sex scene feels very randomly shoehorned in. Their romance is a letdown in this sequel because I thought they shared a certain sweet, if low-key chemistry in the first film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:11 am
Forum General

My friend told me that this movie is absolutely nothing like the book and there were no sex scenes in the book.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

I cannot remember: is this film's MacGuffin (the mysterious box) mentioned at all in the first film? To me, it seemed to come out of nowhere. Out of the blue, everything comes down to this holy-grail box and the Mystical Answer It Contains, and Kate Winslet's character is elated to have found it after such an arduous search, etc., etc.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:09 am
Extraordinary

movies35 wrote:
My friend told me that this movie is absolutely nothing like the book and there were no sex scenes in the book.

It's not absolutely nothing like the book, but it feels like a very hollow adaptation with some major changes that don't really add anything to the story.

This "box" was never in the book. I forgot how but the reveal that the factions and their society was an experiment was something Kate Winslet's character was trying to protect. (I think? idk the book was pretty forgettable) The reveal also felt much more dramatic in the book as opposed to here where it looks like people are so eager to leave their homes when they have no idea what's out there.

I'm a little surprised to see people not trashing this all over the internet.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:25 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is just as good as the first and definitely more action-packed. I had a blast. I'm a sucker for these movies :P I love the characters and the actors are unanimously great, which more than makes up for the fairly generic sci-fi plot. They're just fun popcorn entertainment. It's fast-paced and exciting and features welcome additions to the cast such as Naomi Watts (who should take on a much bigger role in the last two movies). Shailene Woodley continues to be fantastic and shares great chemistry with the likable Theo James. Miles Teller also gets a lot more to do this time around and excels. A-

Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:03 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

publicenemy#1 wrote:
The reveal also felt much more dramatic in the book as opposed to here where it looks like people are so eager to leave their homes when they have no idea what's out there.

Ha ha, this is true. The image is absurd. Swarms of of beaming, computer-generated people randomly ambling toward the wall. The Dissolve sums it up nicely, too:

Quote:
The founder speaking in the video—who, spoiler for the upcoming Allegiant, due March 2017, is Tris’ ancestor—then invites everyone to come join the rest of humanity, who are apparently just hanging out waiting for them beyond the wall that separates the city from the supposedly toxic landscape around them. Cue hordes of computer-generated people milling toward the giant wall, accompanied by a crescendoing score that’s apparently meant to represent a victory of some sort. Humanity has been saved by a bunch of long-gone, lying meddlers who divided everyone into factions in order to foster a group capable of transcending those factions and thus rendering this society pointless. Sure, why not? These guys seem cool, I totally get why everyone’s so excited to go see what they’re all about.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:05 pm
Forum General

I actually surprisingly enjoyed this quite a bit. I wasn't expecting much because I thought the first was a chore to sit through but this is an exciting, entertaining sequel.

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

The teen melodrama is back! An uneventful, post-apocalyptic bore. Pretty much nothing happened. It actually started off with a 5-minute recap (via flashbacks and dream sequences) of where we left of from Divergent. That was probably needed for me because from the get-go I was getting this franchise mixed up with The Maze Runner. After the recap, it got kind of interesting with the run-through-the-forest with Jai Courtney hot on their trail, then the train fight comes and it becomes difficult to watch without laughing, and it pretty much keeps going down and down in quality until the end by which point you no longer care. Nobody can act in this film besides the only interesting person; Miles Teller. I enjoyed him being a bastard, but even that was ruined when he changes sides to redeem himself. Her brother uncharacteristically changes to the dark side, which made no fucking sense whatsoever. The "action" was atrocious. So, all-in-all the film is just a forgettable, badly scripted, piece of teen shit.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was an improvement over the first, which I thought was terrible, but this still was not great. The whole plot is very muddled, but it is not really ever boring, unlike the first, where you wait the whole movie for the plot to start. Shailene is good, even though her short hair kind of ruins her appearance. Jai Courtney is actually pretty good in these movies I think. I'm actually happy Kate Winslet's character was killed, because "Jeanine" has to be one of the worst names for a villain ever. "Watch out for Jeanine!" said no one ever. I was hesitant to watch this, but I guess I'll stick it out until the end now.

C+

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:49 pm
Hold the door!

This was an improvement over the first, which I thought was terrible, but this still was not great. The whole plot is very muddled, but it is not really ever boring, unlike the first, where you wait the whole movie for the plot to start. Shailene is good, even though her short hair kind of ruins her appearance. Jai Courtney is actually pretty good in these movies I think. I'm actually happy Kate Winslet's character was killed, because "Jeanine" has to be one of the worst names for a villain ever. "Watch out for Jeanine!" said no one ever. I was hesitant to watch this, but I guess I'll stick it out until the end now.

C+

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:49 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
"Jeanine" has to be one of the worst names for a villain ever. "Watch out for Jeanine!" said no one ever.

lol, it's true.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]