Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Lazarus Effect (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Lazarus Effect (2015)

Quote:
The Lazarus Effect is an upcoming 2015 American supernatural horror film directed by David Gelb and written by Luke Dawson and Jeremy Slater. The film stars Mark Duplass, Olivia Wilde, Donald Glover, Evan Peters, and Sarah Bolger. The film is scheduled to be released on February 27, 2015, by Relativity Media.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Lazarus Effect (2015)
The amorality and danger of restoring life to a corpse is very recognizable ground for fiction, the most beloved example flowing, of course, from the pen of Mary Shelley. The Lazarus Effect, a relatively inexpensive fright film with a more-prestigious-than-expected cast, is a muted and unsatisfying variation on this theme. Mark Duplass and Olivia Wilde portray engaged scientists, and their lab partners are Donald Glover, Evan Peters, and a fetching Sarah Bolger. In an expansive and absurdly under-lit university laboratory, the group has developed an astonishing serum and tested it on various deceased animals, most recently reanimating a euthanized dog. When one among them (Wilde) is electrocuted and dies, the others performs a desperate, unauthorized procedure on her. She indeed rouses from the dead, confused and perhaps dangerous.

There are thinly conceived, wildly halfhearted "ideas" at play here—faith versus science, the enduring impact of childhood trauma—but they are abandoned nearly as soon as they are introduced, and the film degenerates into a tedious parade of generic jolts and neutered-for-a-PG-13 slasher moments. Similar to last year's ludicrous Lucy, the Olivia Wilde character's new supernatural abilities—she can move objects with telekinesis and inspire hallucinations in others—are attributed to her utilizing a far higher percentage of her mind's capacity than the rest of us. (Groan.) Scarlett Johansson became a glamorous, rampaging supercomputer. Wilde becomes a type of standard-issue demon. The hoary storyline builds to an abrupt and corny ending which teases, nay, threatens an improbable sequel.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:59 pm
Wallflower

I liked it. There's not much to it and it brings up questions that it doesn't answer, but I thought it was entertaining. Too slight though and I wish they wouldn't have turned Wilde's character into a one-dimensional villain. Should have been longer and more fleshed out. Duplass and Wilde are good and likable leads though. Plus Mark Duplass is really sexy. :P

7/10 (B-)

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:00 pm
Forum General

It definitely should have been longer than it was. If it was, I think it could have been really good. I thought it was enjoyable enough and the performances were pretty good for a horror movie. It felt very minor though.

C+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

They're releasing an Unrated cut for Blu-ray from what I understand so here's hoping it actually adds something substantial compared to most alternate cuts.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:00 pm
Forum General

This was dogshit and it's sad because it has a decent cast and a interesting concept. This movie was just boring all the way through, but thank god for the short running time. I found it funny that they spend all this time trying to flesh out the characters and still fail miserably. Nothing happens for almost an hour into the movie and even when it does it's some of the most generic/lazy excuses for jump scares I have seen a while.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]