Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 39 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 53

College Boy Z

Post Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Quote:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a 2004 American romantic fantasy film about an estranged couple who have each other erased from their memories, scripted by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Michel Gondry. The film uses elements of science fiction, nonlinear narration and neosurrealism to explore the nature of memory and romantic love. It opened in North America on March 19, 2004, and grossed over US$70 million worldwide.

Kaufman and Gondry worked on the story with Pierre Bismuth, a French performance artist. The film stars an ensemble cast starring Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Wilkinson, Elijah Wood, Jane Adams, and David Cross.

The title is taken from the poem Eloisa to Abelard by Alexander Pope, the story of a tragic love affair, where forgetfulness became the heroine's only comfort:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

The film was a critical and commercial success, developing a strong cult following and receiving a myriad of accolades, winning the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. The film was lauded by critics as one of the best and most thought-provoking films of 2004.

Last edited by zingy on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:38 am
Extraordinary

Without a doubt 1 of the best films of the year. The movie just brings so many emotional aspects to you, it's overwhelming. Props to Kaufman, Gondry and the rest of the crew for making an incredible movie. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are both oustanding here. Both of them fully deserve Oscar nominations. The supporting cast is also good. (Dunst, Ruffalo, Wood, etc.) Another thing is that this one requires at least 2 viewings, the first time I saw it I was a little overwhelmed and missed some stuff so another viewing is a good idea.

- A

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:34 pm
New Server, Same X

What a great movie. Strong performances from Carrey and Winslet. Even Dunst was great, too. Elijah and Ruffalo were good. Writing was fantastic. 4th best film of 2004.

Grade: A

Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:42 pm
I just lost the game

I personally didn't love it as much as everyone else did. When the movie ended, I was very underwhelmed.

Still one of the best movies this year. I gave it an A-. But not up to the awesome amazing expereience I had heard about for months.

Brilliant acting, wonderful direction, and as always, a great screenplay from Kaufman.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:57 pm
New Server, Same X

I personally didn't love it as much as everyone else did. When the movie ended, I was very underwhelmed.

Still one of the best movies this year. I gave it an A-. But not up to the awesome amazing expereience I had heard about for months.

Brilliant acting, wonderful direction, and as always, a great screenplay from Kaufman.

That usually happens when EVERYONE hypes something up. It happened to me with Napolean Dynamite.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:10 pm
Forum General

It's still the best film I've seen this year, though, combining comedy, creativity, drama, quirkiness, intelligence, and pure heart. Kaufman takes a story, one that shouldn't even be capapble of such emotion, and turns it into a real, bittersweet study on the relationships we can have with people in spite of them being insufferably annoying.

The scene in the decomposing house on the beach at the end is the best I've seen all year.

A

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

...of THE Spotless Mind. :wink:

It's still the best film I've seen this year, though, combining comedy, creativity, drama, quirkiness, intelligence, and pure heart. Kaufman takes a story, one that shouldn't even be capapble of such emotion, and turns it into a real, bittersweet study on the relationships we can have with people in spite of them being insufferably annoying.

The scene in the decomposing house on the beach at the end is the best I've seen all year.

A

Fixed! :wink:

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:38 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Easily the best film of the year, and one of my top 5 of all time. Engaging, funny, heartbreaking and breathtaking. A

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:46 am
Hot Fuss

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

insomniacdude wrote:

That usually happens when EVERYONE hypes something up. It happened to me with Napolean Dynamite.

Hype never affects me. Ever. It's a gift, I swear. Spider-man, Lord of the Rings, Garden State, The Passion, Harry Potter, Collateral; hype never affects me.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:46 pm
Veteran

So far, it's the best film I saw in 2004, though I have yet to see Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, etc. Kauffman's best script easily and Jim Carrey and Kate Winslett should go down in movie history as one of the best couples ever. They were both perfect. I rate it an A.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Last edited by Chris on Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:00 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

This movie definately requires 2 viewings. I missed so much at the first viewing. Carrey and Winslet and everyone else are fantastic here. The last 20 minutes are pure gold. Loved it. A+

Last edited by Riggs on Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Fantastic script, fantastic actors. A piece of pure genious. My only nitpick is the chronology break at the beginning was as unnecessary gimmick since the chronology is messed up enough when we're in Carrey's brain... (A-)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:48 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

This is what a Romantic Comedy should be (Love Actually, I am looking in your direction). Everyone was at the top of their game here, and it shows in this fantastic film, I love it. Charle Kaufman at his best.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

for me its not the best movie of the year, but still its a fantastic scropt, great performences by Carrey, Winslet, Dunst, Ruffalo and Wood!,

A-

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:58 pm
We had our time together

Saw it again for a third time and I loved it even more. It's unbelievable how great Carrey is here. He definately got snubbed at the Oscars. His performance is so quiet, so heartbreaking, so true. The same goes for Winslet. She made me fall in love with her. She's really really good. In Eternal there are so many little moments or scenes that were just wonderful. I may watch it again in a few minutes. Still A+.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

It's a very good movie, and the performances are fantastic, and the script is very unique and interesting, but for me at least, it just falls short of greatness. I just can't explain it, but I didn't LOVE it like everyone else did, I just liked it. But still, I can't deny that it is an innovative piece of cinema.

A-/B+

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

*bump* Watching this tonight, and since I've heard nothing but good things about it, I fully expect that I will like it.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:12 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I hate to be the first one to say it, but this movie is extremely overrated. I went to see it with very high expectations and came out extremely disappointed. I still enjoyed it to a certain extent, but it had the potential to be much, much better.

6/10 (C+)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:53 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

omg!!! Thank you so much Thompson!!! You took the words right out of my mouth, when I came into this thread I was thinking "gosh, I'll be the only one that gives this a low grade." While it's a good movie, it's not as great as people said it would. The costumes were great though, then again, I have to say that since the costume designer is my cousin :wink:

6/10 (C+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm glad someone else finds it extremely overrated ;)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:19 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I found this to be a bit overrated myself. It's surprising, as I thought I would love this film, and I kinda feel bad, as my little streak of not being disappointed by one of Libs' recommendations has come to an end. (Although technically, she didn't recommend it, I mentioned that I would rent on top of what she recommended, because I remembered that she liked it...*that was my pathetic display of denial for those scoring at home*) I don't know if it was the low budget direction, or the jarring storytelling techniques, but I felt like it could have been a much more powerful film if it was given a more strait forward approach. I did like some things about it very much, and the uniqueness of the film does give it a certain charm, but I was left wondering why so much was made of this movie. The performances were great, but I could never quite get comfortable because of all the jerking around that was going on, so I guess it's just a case of expecting something different than what I got. It gets points for style, but it loses more for that style affecting what I believe would have been a stronger film had it not been employed. Perhaps a second viewing would make it better, since I now know what to expect, but honestly, I wasn't impressed enough by it to rush into watching it again anytime soon.

A quick note about Kate Winslet. I think she is absolutely beautiful, and has a FANTASTIC figure. I wish more women would try to look like that, as opposed to the rail thin girls, as that's just not attractive.

B-

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:57 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
This movie definately requires 2 viewings. I missed so much at the first viewing. Carrey and Winslet and everyone else are fantastic here. The last 20 minutes are pure gold. Loved it. A+

Hey Mav, this time I read this thread as it popped up and I was interested in what everyone thought.

I am bumping this post as it was what I was going to say to you.

There is so much to take in and the movie has so many different twists and turns.

I don't think anyone could have taken it all in on the first viewing.

So if this movie got a B range first viewing, I would think that one liked it enough that they should / could see it again.

Also, I think you should double check your opinion before you say Libs streak is broken - IMO.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next