Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Adaptation. 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 12 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 19

Adaptation. 
College Boy Z

Post Adaptation.
Adaptation.

Quote:
Adaptation (rendered as Adaptation.) is a 2002 American comedy-drama film directed by Spike Jonze and written by Charlie Kaufman. The film is based on Susan Orlean's non-fiction book The Orchid Thief through self-referential events. The film stars Nicolas Cage as Charlie and Donald Kaufman, Meryl Streep as Susan, with Chris Cooper, Cara Seymour, Brian Cox, Tilda Swinton, Ron Livingston and Maggie Gyllenhaal. The film tells the story of Charlie Kaufman's difficult struggle to adapt The Orchid Thief into a film. In addition, Orlean romances with John Laroche while Charlie enlists the help of his twin brother Donald.

The film had been in development as far back as 1994. Jonathan Demme brought the project to Columbia Pictures with Kaufman writing the script. Kaufman went through writer's block and did not know what to think of The Orchid Thief. In turn Kaufman wrote a script about his experience adapting The Orchid Thief into a screenplay. Tom Hanks was at one point set for the role of Charlie Kaufman while John Turturro was approached to portray Laroche. Jonze signed to direct and filming finished in June 2001. Adaptation. received positive reviews and critical acclaim, as well as outstanding success at the 75th Academy Awards, 60th Golden Globe Awards and 56th British Academy Film Awards. It has since developed a strong cult following, which almost all of Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman's works have developed.

Last edited by zingy on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:36 am
Extraordinary

Brilliant film. Excellent, excellent script and Nicholas Cage who never seemed to impresse me is amazing in this, fantastic performance. Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper are great too. The ending parts (When Streep/Cooper's character trying to kill Kaufman) are pretty weird but that's the main point/brilliance of the film.

- A

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:23 pm
Veteran

My favorite film written by Charlie Kauffman. I've yet to see Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Nicolas Cage returns to those weird roles that he's best at. Chris Cooper deserved his Oscar and Meryl Streep was wonderful. I rate it an A-.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:38 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Watched it for the third time yesterday and loved it. It get's better and better every time I see it. Awesome movie. A/A+

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Spike Jonez, Chris Cooper and Nicholas Cage at their best. Charlie Kaufman at his second best. In the words of Charlie Kaufman...the film was very taugt.

Great film, should have been nominated for Best Picture in 2002.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

One of my all time favorites. I don't think that any film has ever impacted me as much on a personal level. One of the few films I can say is nearly perfect. A+

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:20 pm
life begins now

Pretty good...Chris Cooper, Meryl Streep and Nicholas Cage give great performances. (Chris absoultely deserved his Oscar)

B+/A-

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:13 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Best movie of 2003! Awesome screenplay and direction - flawless!

5 out of 5.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:16 pm
Extraordinary

A spectacular movie, and to this point the best Kaufman, Jonze pairing. Typically touching and odd. I liked that the characters, even the nuerotic ones, actually have a very endearing side to them. I think Streep's turn to the dark side is hilarious, but only because we follow her as she slowly becomes mezmorized by the Orchid Thief. Cooper shines, Streep shines, Cage shines. This has great directing, acting, dialogue, and a nice layering of story that one doesn't usually find in film. Excellent.

BTW, I liked this movie so much I went and purchased the Orchid Thief to read. Though clearly nothing like the movie, the book is great. I happened to read it when I was in Florida and visiting the everglades too, which made it even better since the book dwells on bromeliads like Moby Dick dwells on whale blubber.

A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:23 am
Forum General

I thought it was quite good. I owned the film of dvd for over seven months before I actually sat down and watched it. The acting was great and I think it's much better than the overrated ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

It was amazingly written and acted. I sort of felt like something was missing from the movie, though, and it left me a tad cold at the end. That still doesn't change what I said in my first sentence, though. B+/B

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:45 pm
Extraordinary

I thought it was quite good. I owned the film of dvd for over seven months before I actually sat down and watched it. The acting was great and I think it's much better than the overrated ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.

8/10 (B+)

I agree, except for your grade - this was a brilliant movie - the best of 2003!

5 out of 5 (A+).

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:31 am
Sbil

movies35 wrote:

8/10 (B+)

5 out of 5 (A+).

2002 :wink:

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:23 pm
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
movies35 wrote:

8/10 (B+)

5 out of 5 (A+).

2002 :wink:

Oops - my time flies when you're having fun...

(Yow - it really hurts to admit you're finally right about something! :wink: )

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:09 pm
Top Poster

This filmmakers had the ambitious idea of setting out to make the most worthless and awful shit movie conceivable and then openly laugh at the audience during the movie for being duped into thinking it's a great movie. They succeeded on all levels, so I reward them with an F.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Its a good film - but it left me a little underwhelmed for some reason. Perhaps I was expecting more (just like Eternal Sunshine actually).

Grade : B+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:35 am
Mod Team Leader

Another over rated Kaufman film. Cooper was great no doubt, but these kinds of films get praised for the ingenuity and their brilliance while no one sees them because they are pretentious and boring.....yet films like Armageddon get slagged for their " unoriginality" and " unrealism" and yet they get oodles of people go to see it.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I thought it was pretty ingenious, and very original, but it just didn't hook me like it should have. Everything involving the Kaufman brothers I loved; Cage gives probably his best performance here (probably because he's at his most un-Cage like) and the self-loathing that writer's block brings about was captured perfectly. I just wasn't involved at all in the story of Orlean and the orchids. I thought Streep was fairly unremarkable and Cooper was amusing, but definitely not Oscar-worthy. Once Donald takes over writing the story and all the Hollywood stuff comes pouring out it goes off the rails, as was the point, but I found it more silly than witty. The ending is kinda lame, too. Definitely my least favourite Kaufman film so far.

B

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:27 am
We had our time together

Has become one of my all-time favorites by now. A+

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:01 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Of all people in this thread I pretty much agree with most with trixster and Libs.

I've seen Being John Malkovich during its initial theatrical release and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind right after it hit DVD. It took me, however, several years until I finally got to see Adaptation, a movie that some people say is the best Kaufman screenplay to date...

Personally, I beg to differ.

The plot of the movie seems on the first look not any more out there than the plots of Eternal Sunshine and Malkovich. For some reason, it feels far more weird, however. The screenplay, in my opinion, is the worst of Kaufman's major three. That is not to say that it is a bad one, it is actually pretty good, it's just that the other two had that little something extra that made them pretty ingenious. I have a hard time explaining this, but the thing is that despite completely ridiculous plots, Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine felt pretty natural when I was seeing them. Adaptation was almost trying a bit too hard. The whole abrupt genre change at the end of the movie took me a bit out of the film. I understand that it was, in a way fitting, especially considering the comment on the genre change within a movie made earlier in the film. It still just didn't work for me.

Another point was that I felt that Meryl Streep's performance in this one was hugely overrated and her character just didn't work well for me.

But enough criticizing this otherwise really solid film. Nicholas Cage definitely deserved his Oscar nom as he delivered his best performance since Leaving Las Vegas, by far. He was simply great. Cooper delivers a stand-out performance as well, but I must admit that Cage impressed me the most out of the cast, playing totally against the type. Having to play two very different characters helped as well.

The movie had its ups, its downs, but on the whole it's a clever, original and sometimes very funny movie. It didn't have as many laughs as Being John Malkovich and wasn't as brilliantly toiuching and wildly imaginative as Eternal Sunshine, but it can stand its own, especially thanks to the great cast (good short turns by Brian Cox, Judy Greer and Tilda Swinton!).

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Adaptation
Havent seen it since it came out. But it was quirky and interesting, not as funny as I thought it would be. I'll need to check it again, but it was a movie that I liked, but would never go out of my way to catch it again.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:10 pm
Extraordinary

Weird. Even compared to Being John Malkovich. And then it's just plain bizarre once they head down to Miami at the end.
Yes, it's pretentious, but when it's not taking itself so seriously, it works.

B+

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:34 am
New Server, Same X

Yeah, I watched this for the first time yesterday. It's unique, no doubt. Nic Cage is great. There are some genuinely great moments throughout.

Yet... it's not as good as I thought it was going to be. It just isn't. And the third act is less genius and more damaging to the movie, for me. It just doesn't work for me. I know what they were going for, and it's fine. Just didn't work for me.

Still, I'd give it a B. It's good. Just not great.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:05 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Adaptation.
It's my favorite of Kaufman's.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Adaptation.
It definitely becomes more gripping as the story moves on. I definitely preferred though when the story centered on Cage as the Cooper/Streep storyline had some rough patches at first. The last act is kind of brilliant and this ends up being a pretty great film in the end.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next