Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Big Fish 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Big Fish 
College Boy Z

Post Big Fish
Big Fish

Quote:
Big Fish is a 2003 fantasy comedy-drama film adapted from the 1998 novel of the same name by Daniel Wallace. The film was directed by Tim Burton and stars Albert Finney, Ewan McGregor, Billy Crudup, and Jessica Lange. Finney plays Edward Bloom, a former traveling salesman from the Southern United States with a gift for storytelling, now confined to his deathbed. Bloom's estranged son, a journalist played by Crudup, attempts to mend their relationship as his dying father relates tall tales of his eventful life as a young adult, played by Ewan McGregor.

Screenwriter John August read a manuscript of the novel six months before it was published and convinced Columbia Pictures to acquire the rights. August began adapting the novel while producers negotiated with Steven Spielberg who planned to direct after finishing Minority Report (2002). Spielberg considered Jack Nicholson for the role of Edward Bloom, but eventually dropped the project to focus on Catch Me If You Can (2002). Tim Burton and Richard D. Zanuck took over after completing Planet of the Apes (2001) and brought Albert Finney and Ewan McGregor on board.

The film's theme of reconciliation between a dying father and his son had special significance for Burton, as his father had died in 2000 and his mother in 2002, a month before he signed on to direct. Big Fish was shot on location in Alabama in a series of fairy tale vignettes evoking the tone of a Southern Gothic fantasy. The film received award nominations in multiple film categories, including four Golden Globe nominations, seven nominations from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, two Saturn Award nominations, and an Oscar and a Grammy Award nomination for Danny Elfman's original score.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:36 am
Extraordinary

Amazing film, one of Burton's best. The cast is excellent and it's a great movie to look at.

- A

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:29 pm
Veteran

Burton did a good job but still the movie was lacking and way to long. I lost interest in it pretty fast.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I just watched this movie (it came out on video and DVD only this week in Japan) and loved it. It's in my top three of 2003 now. Great story, beautiful looking film and a great cast. Ewan McGregor is one of my favorite actors. Alison Lohman is fast becoming one of my favorites also. I rate it an A-.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Great film. One of Tim Burton's most emotionally moving films and also visually spectacular. A-.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:45 pm
We had our time together

Great film. One of Tim Burton's most emotionally moving films and also visually spectacular. A-.

I agree completely. A-

Last edited by Riggs on Sat May 14, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:30 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:39 pm
Profile YIM
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I am agreeing with everyone here...great movie. I feel it was the best movie of 2003 and was not recongnized I have no idea. One of the few movies that has gotten an emotional reaction out of me...I know none of the other movies of 2003 did, espically Seabiscuit.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 pm
Profile YIM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

This movie was just so original and wonderful. The stories told were just utterly fascinating and completely compelling, and were so full of imagination that it's impossible not to like them. And the scene where the baby flew out after the woman gave birth was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

A

Wed May 11, 2005 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, I actually really liked this movie. It had a good sense of the fantastic and the real. I think the inclusion of the father/son issues over tale-telling were a good backdrop to the flashback stories. Didn't care all too much for the female roles except for bonham carter's But I thought this walked a nice line. I loved the scenes in the boring town where Buschemi got stuck, and everyone was barefoot. Surreal.

A-

My immediate response when i first saw it was closer to B+, but its gone up in my estimations.

Wed May 11, 2005 6:30 pm
Forum General

While I don't remember much about it, I do own it, so I'll have to watch it again sometime.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 12, 2005 8:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

I watched this twice and i cried both times .. in front of friends ... one of my all time favorite movies. The imageries, the stories, their justification and finally, a heart wrenching yet feel good ending story ..... I can not praise this enough.

Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Quote:
A decent little film, but nothing too remarkable, or even good. The imagery was, of course, brilliant, but other than that I felt it dragged a little too much and it was pretty flat for such an emotional story. It just kind of layed there and asked you to muster up some emotions. I also felt that it was kind of hard to get into. They just kind of "kerplunked" you into the middle of things, and it took me a good half hour to actually care about what was happening on screen. That wasn't very cool. I was also very disappointed in the acting, which was just average across the board. Again, this movie just kind of layed there, not even attempting to work for the emotional pay off it's trying to reach. Without Burton's visual flair, it would have been an average CBS Sunday Night movie. I give it a final grade of a C.

I still feel the same. One of Burton's weakest films in my opinion.

Thu May 12, 2005 7:50 pm
Sbil

Heartwarming, but not amazing. I thought it was a good but not great, though this will satisfy you if you're in the mood for something sweet. Billy Crudup is awful in this, though. Beware. B

Thu May 12, 2005 8:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

Amazing movie, enough said. I wrote a longer review right before this but when I clicked Submit my internet gayed up into some IGN crap. Basicly short terms: Loved the barefoot surreal town, Buscemi the one-line stuck writer, the 7 year old girl who thought he was a fox. The developments later with Buscemi robbing an empty bank and the girl grown in her 30s who had waited for Ewan to return but he was much too late, both were great. Also the story of the raven and how his father was going to die the next day. "He had a terrible time, the entire day he felt like he had an axe over his head. He got home and asked his wife how her day was because his was the worst of his life. She replied 'Oh today was terrible. This morning the mailman collapsed and died on the porch!' HAHAHA. Yeah, great movie. Love it. One of the best of 2003.

Last edited by Shack on Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:36 pm
We had our time together

This has slowly become one of my favorite DVD's to watch. A wonderful movie.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:26 am
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

The visuals were great, I loved the whole idea, but I found myself really bored after a while.

B-

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:25 pm
Extraordinary

The film dropped a little for me over time. Still a solid B+ though.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It might have been good if it wasn't 8 hours long (at least it felt that long). As usual, Burton's got the visual chops, but couldn't write himself out of a paaper bag...

2 out of 5.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:00 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

I love this movie. I watched it in Film History class two days ago for the first time. A+

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

I really don't see how some people are so in love with this movie. I found it very mediocre. Tim Burton is good at making movies look neat, but when it comes to characters or story, this is a prime example of his shortcomings.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:14 am
Extraordinary

I love this movie. I watched it in Film History class two days ago for the first time. A+

Wow -- they're really diggin' back into the caveman days of film history for this movie...

:nutso:

Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:15 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

BigBucksT wrote:

Wow -- they're really diggin' back into the caveman days of film history for this movie...

:nutso:

I have a retard for a teacher. What do you want :hahaha:

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:42 am
Profile YIM WWW
Yawn...

It might have been good if it wasn't 8 hours long (at least it felt that long). As usual, Burton's got the visual chops, but couldn't write himself out of a paaper bag...

2 out of 5.

but but but

Burton didn't write it.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next