Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Dumb and Dumber To 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Dumb and Dumber To 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Dumb and Dumber To
Dumb and Dumber To

Quote:
Dumb and Dumber To is an upcoming 2014 American buddy comedy film co-written and directed by Bobby Farrelly and Peter Farrelly. It is a sequel to the 1994 film Dumb and Dumber. The film stars Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Laurie Holden, and Kathleen Turner. The film is scheduled to be released on November 14, 2014.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Dumb and Dumber To
I'm unsure what to think about this one. First off, it's nowhere close to the original which I wasn't expecting to be. More jokes tend to lean towards just dumb or gross instead of some of the cleverness seen in the original but there are still quite a few jokes that feel like the original in quality. The chemistry between Carrey and Daniels definitely isn't lost and the story is sustainable enough to not feel tired by film's end. I'd put at a solid average and wait for it's inevitable long run on Comedy Central.

Also, Rachel Melvin is attractive.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

She graduated at a high school in my district. 2 years before I graduated, but I may know someone who knows her. Weird.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 pm
loyalfromlondon

dum

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:42 pm
Forum General

I was somewhat disappointed by this, but that was inevitable since the first movie is one of my all time favorite comedies. I'd break it down like this...

1/3 rings true of the original, laugh out loud funny and in the same vein.

1/3 is amusing, but not up to the original.

1/3 falls flat, which for me is a much higher flat joke rate than the original.

So overall I'd give it a B. It's nothing that is going to generate great WOM and legs, but it's entertaining enough.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Very enjoyable. Not sure why it got caught up in the bad hype machine. Although maybe that helped by appropriately lowering my expectations.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm
Superman: The Movie

A lot funnier than it had any right being. And I loved the misdirect with the van.

Stay through the credits.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

The only bit I've seen from this was the scene after the credits and it was horrible. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's not great, but it fulfills the need of any die-hard fan, especially if they're from Massachusetts/Rhode Island and grew up watching him.

I'm surprised they didn't try to incorporate him in the film though. They even stop at a rest area once or twice.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Jmart wrote:
It's not great, but it fulfills the need of any die-hard fan, especially if they're from Massachusetts/Rhode Island and grew up watching him.

That's why I feel almost borderline-obligated to see it, being in Providence and all. I almost went for it today, but decided to check out Big Hero 6 instead.

I still find it hilarious that the premiere was at the Avon Cinema, down near Brown. This is about the furthest thing from the typical fare that runs at that theatre. :funny:

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:58 pm
Sbil

So with the passage of time and everything, this was never going to measure up to the original, which is basically a ridiculously stupid modern comedy classic. Dumb & Dumber To is also ridiculously stupid, but a classic it is not. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels fit comfortably back into their dimwit roles, but the film simply doesn't have the zany energy of the original movie. It does have bouts of hilarious moments, though, so it's not all bad. C

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:53 am
Extraordinary

Its not as good as the original(one of my 10 fav comedies) but it gets the job done more than it does not.
I saw this opening weekend last month, a lot of people started clapping when they got the van back and the nostalgic music started playing... and then 5 seconds later, lol!

Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Tremendously unfunny. The Farrelly brothers display a lack of creativity and care in this extraneous and boneheaded sequel. In the latest Hollywood revisit (following other trash like Basic Instinct 2 and Indiana Jones 4), Harry and Lloyd embark on yet another road trip in search of a girl (Jeez, I wonder how long it took for them to come up that idea!) and there's also a potential fortune at stake (originality at its best!!). The gags are ridiculous and phoney, and unlike the original, nothing is genuine, it's all staged in the pathetic hope that nostalgia warms its audience. Twenty years has passed and Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are no longer funny, but the same material is presented as if it's fresh, but it's just stale. Rob Riggle outshines the leads in a neat supporting role. But it's slim pickings if you're looking for laughs, although the scene with the Asian parents is bearable.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:19 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I watched this for the second time today and while there are a few laughs, they are few and far between. And the story is horribly paced. The first felt very well-structured and simple, while this wavers wildly, seemingly changing on a whim as the writers think of more stupid things for the characters to do, rather than put them in a solid situation and write around it. We know many of the gags before they happen (though the bit where they leave to find the daughter, only to come back to Fraida's house after reading the wrong address is gold), which is unfortunate. I don't think it's impossible to write a smart sequel to this Dumb franchise. But I believe once Carrey and Daniels agreed to it (for what had to be the tenth time, after constantly backing out), they just churned out a script as fast as possible, which left us with a string of silly, somewhat funny gags and a barely-there story to tie it all together.

And considering they had so many throwback jokes (Billy; Sea Bass; the van), I figured they would have done a better job with it.

On the plus side, this may contain the most insanely bizarre (and hilarious, once you find it out) cameo in movie history with Ice Pick the meth cook.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Why did you decide to watch it again, if it wasn't good in the first place?

As for my mini review; I watched this earlier this year and didn't write a review at the time, might be before I joined.

I can't say I was ever a big fan of dumb and dumber. I always felt it was just a bit too dumb, but that film had some funny sequence of events, because the roles felt genuine. Now with part 2, it got dumber, and the characters where trying too hard to be funny, and there wasn't anything laugh about anymore, bar a few single moments.

Don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been said before.

D

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:38 am
New Server, Same X

stuffp wrote:
Why did you decide to watch it again, if it wasn't good in the first place?

It's not bad necessarily. But I actually liked it a lot more on my first viewing, because I had just watched the first one and still felt the effects, I suppose, of watching the original. Which is odd, I admit, that I didn't just constantly compare the two.

But watching it on its own didn't help.

First viewing: probably a B
Second viewing: C

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]