Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lucy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Lucy 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Lucy
Lucy

Quote:
Lucy is a 2014 French-American action film directed, written and edited by Luc Besson, and produced by Besson and Europacorp. It will be released on 25 July 2014. The movie was shot in Taipei, Paris and New York City. It stars Scarlett Johansson as the title character, along with Morgan Freeman playing Professor Norman.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Lucy
It's pretty much the dumbest movie ever, but if you check your brain at the door and just go with the insane plot it's actually a lot of fun. Scarlett Johansson is badass playing a character that's actually not too far off from the one she played in Under The Skin, and the action sequences are exciting and well-staged. The special effects are also very impressive and I liked the editing. It's also only about 85 minutes with credits so its a quick and easy watch. One of the better summer blockbusters this year. B+

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

I really want to see it but i know im going to hate it so much...

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:30 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I thought this was pretty funny which I found surprising. Up until about the 3rd act the film is just kickass. Then it kind of just goes off the rails with so much craziness. Still Johansson is great and Freeman is fine. Action is good, and while I think it gets way too ridiculous at the end the whole "I am everywhere" ending got me excited for a sequel. Film makes no sense, but it's a great time waster and one of the better Besson films.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 am
Extraordinary

It's enjoyable, really liked the first half hour or so. The ending was rushed though. I thought Scarlett was great.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:24 am
Extraordinary

Scarlett was great. The rest, just ok. Borrowed really heavily from a lot of films.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Such a weird way to end a movie, but I thought it was pretty solid for the most part. The first half is easily the best because Scarlet Johansson is a total badass and she has some really nice acting moments in the beginning (when she calls her mom on the phone).

Also, I had no fucking idea Oldboy was in this movie. It's sad how underused and irrevalent he becomes in the second half, because his introduction as the villain is such a great scene.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:12 am
Pure Phase

Beyond its several neat visual flourishes, Lucy is a largely idiotic and rather unsatisfying science-fiction action film. It is the story of an American student abroad in Taiwan (Scarlett Johansson) who, against her will and in over her head, is forced to become an instrument of a criminal underworld. A container of a just-synthesized narcotic is placed into her abdomen. When it ruptures after a beating by an overzealous henchman, the drug lets her utilize more and more of her cerebral capacity. With the resulting superpowers, she avenges the wrong done to her and begins to absorb and interpret the knowledge of the world. Lucy entirely fails as an action and chase picture: when a character can send people flying into the next room or pause time with a tiny facial gesture (and she is the only one with such an ability since this is not X-Men), it is hard to convince the audience she is ever truly endangered. As a result, the various car chases and gunfights have a halfhearted and routine quality.

What is left is the more psychedelic story of a woman's mind expanding until it is the size of and one with the universe. Alas, Lucy's exploding I.Q. and electrified conscious is mostly conveyed in boring and simplistic ways, including shots of her rapidly typing and reading through the Internet. Quote-unquote knowledge is referenced, but its dimensions and implications are never directly dealt with, and there is a grievous dearth of genuine, mind-bending, Matrix-style moments of revelation. There are other bumps in the proverbial road, including a first act which again and again disrupts the momentum of Lucy's worsening plight to let Morgan Freeman, typecast as a benevolent academic and father figure, explain (and explain, and explain) the Internet-popular myth humans only use ten percent of their brain's capacity, which is, of course, B.S. These scenes are tortuous despite Freeman's iconic, sonorous voice. Cosmic abstraction in the stylistic vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Tree of Life is laced throughout, but these moments, while at times beautiful, play as pretentious, see-what-I-can-do distractions rather than organic components of what is ultimately just a daft genre exercise.

C-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:48 am
Forum General

Eh the more I think about it the more I can say that atleast I wasn't bored. At the end of the day I just thought it was a ok movie that could have been better without all the ridiculous, artistic, sci-fi crap thrown in, although I liked some of the ideas that were there.

The plane sequence for instance was the most well done, but when you basically make the title character a superhero, after a while it does get less interesting.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:23 pm
Pure Phase

Lucy has no problem shooting a taxi driver or an innocent person on an operating table (not to mention the many French people certainly injured or killed during the car chase), but seems to insist upon leaving the Korean gangsters alive. Such a contrived way to string along the vanilla sense of pursuit.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:33 pm
Sbil

Possibly one of the silliest movies I've seen in a long, long time...but if you just go with it and stop thinking about it (ironic considering the film's premise), Lucy can be a hell of a lot of fun. ScarJo basically kills it here and cements her status as a formidable action heroine. B

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:16 pm
Wallflower

I thought this was a blast but it's way too short. Could have been another half hour longer. The ending is a little too abrupt. Wasn't a huge fan of the finale. For most of the time this was an A- but I'd have to go with an 8/10 (B+).

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am
Pure Phase

I...am...everywhere.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 am
Forum General

I don't have much to say about this one. I was never bored with it, though I was never invested either. To me it felt like a TV pilot/video game hybrid. The ending is awful as well. Scarlett is very good with what little she is given but it's not worth it in the end.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I did find it annoying how she would seemingly just kill anyone for no reason except for the ruthless man responsible for the drugs being in her in the first place. Made no sense.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:36 am
Begging Naked

Magnus wrote:
David wrote:
I...am...everywhere.

Her ended the same way.

One of the people I saw it with said the exact same thing as the credits started rolling.

Also, this and Godzilla are the best blockbusters this summer. #comeatmebros

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I do respect the film for playing a Damon Albarn song over the end credits.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 pm
The Kramer

Hmmm, where is the toxic WOM coming from? Up until the last five minutes it is exactly the movie that was advertised. It was interesting and entertaining throughout. Nothing makes any sense, but it's a stupid concept to begin with.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm
Pure Phase

It is completely boring as an action film because there are no genuine rules and Lucy is all-powerful.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm
The Kramer

Yeah but you could say that about most action movies. Is there ever any doubt that Arnold, Sly, The Rock, Vin or whoever will survive and thrive in whatever ridiculous situation they are put in? Slaughtering anyone who gets in their way and banging whoever the hottest babe around is along the way.

And Lucy herself doesn't seem to be interested in being in an action movie. French Antonio Banderas and the Koreans are the ones doing all the killing and dying.

There's a lot wrong with the movie, such as the overreliance on stock footage, but it's a satisfying sci-fi thriller ft. action.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

This will probably be high on my worst movies of the year list. Scarlett is wonderful and the director clearly has some visual talent, but it's such a shallow calorie-less experience in a bad way. Everything with the angry Asian drug dealers and the Paris cop sidekick is just hacking it up big time, Scarlett is never developed as a human which takes away the power of her transformation. It plays as if intentionally giving a D effort on the plot and characters will make it more of a visual/sensual only experience, which may be the case but only to the film's overall detriment

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:10 am
why so serious?

Lucy is a massively enjoyable exercise in style. The concept makes little sense to begin with and makes even less sense as the film progresses, but all players involved are aware of the fact that it's all nonsense, and they roll with it in a wink-wink, nod-nod fashion that keeps the film from sinking in its own stupidity (which was the case for this year's other sci-fi techno thriller, Transcendence). Luc Besson's trademark of fast-paced and well-choreographed action sequences keeps the film moving at a quick pace, and at under 90 minutes with credits, it doesn't wear out its welcome. Best of all, Scarlett Johansson clearly has a ton of fun in the lead role, and she once again delivers the goods as a badass action heroine (something I definitely did not expect she would eventually become when I first saw her in Lost in Translation). I had a blast.

B+

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:20 pm
now we know

Visually it's spectacular, crisp, innovative and fast paced. Thematically, it's almost vacant beyond its "humans only use 10% of their cerebral capacity" message. An entire film dedicated to that fact is a misguided train going to a small town called Missed Opportunity. It is like a flashy all-guns blazing version of a Nolan mind bender. Scar Jo was fine and she is becoming more and more attractive to me the more she begins to act. I loved the splicings with clips of nature and the world. Freeman was pretty much useless, and I thought it would have been better if Lucy took down the whole drug operation instead of detouring off to find out what was happening to her. Still though, for some throwaway escapism, Lucy satisfies.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

B+

Damn this was fun. Dumb.... But really fun.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 pm
Teh Mexican

Well its a lot of fun. I really thought i was going to hate it but no, i had a great time watching it. Its silly as hell but still great fun.

B

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next