Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Happy Christmas 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Happy Christmas 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Happy Christmas
Happy Christmas

Quote:
Happy Christmas is a 2014 American dramedy written, produced and directed by Joe Swanberg. It stars Swanberg, Anna Kendrick, Melanie Lynskey, Lena Dunham and Mark Webber.

The film premiered in-competition in the US Dramatic Category at 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2014. After the film's premiere screening, Magnolia Pictures and Paramount Pictures jointly acquired the international distribution rights.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Happy Christmas
I thought this was really low-key and lovely. The entire cast was so charming and I loved all the characters. Anna Kendrick and Melanie Lynskey were fantastic. My only complaint was that I wish it was longer. A-

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:45 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

While there isn't much to it, it's incredibly charming and the cast works together great. I do agree that I wish it were a tad longer but it was really good.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

Happy Christmas is prolific writer and director Joe Swanberg's richest and most rewarding film to date. It lasts only an hour and 20 minutes (such a tease!), but each scene is a type of delight as the flawed, grounded, three-dimensional characters feud and reflect and reconcile in the days preceding the titular holiday, which does not factor into the storyline in a major way, though the incidental seasonal atmosphere is a welcome touch. Anna Kendrick stars as Jenny, an impulsive and uncertain woman in a tailspin after the end of a relationship. She has traveled to Chicago to stay for a while with her brother, film director Jeff (Swanberg), and his wife, novelist-turned-stay-at-home-mother Kelly (Melanie Lynskey, delivering a compassionate jewel of a performance). They have a two-year-old son and are still negotiating the frustrations and obstacles parenthood brings. Jenny also spends time with her old friend Carson (Lena Dunham) and flirts with a close friend of her brother and sister-in-law, a pot-dealing noise musician (Mark Webber).

The film, directed with a characteristic aesthetic relaxation by Swanberg, is largely comprised of lengthy, ultra-natural, partly improvised conversations, and the actors dig into their roles. A case-in-point is an early scene shared by the Carson, Jenny, and Kelly in a home bar. The two friends, still in a phase of arrested development, stand in anxious awe of Kelly's achievements—she is a published novelist and a mother—while Kelly laments how she no longer has as much time to write and reflects on her own youthful abandon. She is uncertain whether she will produce a second novel at this point, encircled as she is by bath times, diapers, and dishes. The way the dynamic unfolds, the way the characters express themselves (down even to their pauses as they search for the right word), is both profound and completely devoid of artificiality.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:57 pm
Wallflower

I agree with the consensus so far. Really enjoyed this one. Totally the kind of movie I love. The dialogue doesn't feel scripted in the least. Almost like the actors were just given these characters to play and improvised all of the dialogue. Gives it a totally natural feel. There's not much to it but it's so charming if you like this kind of movie. I loved the characters and wished the movie were longer. Great job by everyone, especially Melanie Lynskey and Anna Kendrick.

8/10 (A-)

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Swanberg does it again. While it doesn't reach the great heights of Drinking Buddies, Swanberg puts together a great little piece which gets its message across without having to go to extremes and he gets the best out of his cast.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Melanie Lynskey is so, so amazing in this. An Oscar-worthy performance.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 pm
Speed Racer

On s different subject, what is the more popular saying, Happy or Merry Christmas? I always have heard Merry Christmas...and Happy Holidays and Happy Thanksgiving....

So which is more popular worldwide, Happy Christmas or Merry Christmas?

Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 pm
Speed Racer

jmovies wrote:
Happy Christmas

Quote:
Happy Christmas is a 2014 American dramedy written, produced and directed by Joe Swanberg. It stars Swanberg, Anna Kendrick, Melanie Lynskey, Lena Dunham and Mark Webber.

The film premiered in-competition in the US Dramatic Category at 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2014. After the film's premiere screening, Magnolia Pictures and Paramount Pictures jointly acquired the international distribution rights.

So will this become a Christmas classic like Love Actually and The Family Stone?

Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:47 pm
loyalfromlondon

fuck off, goldie

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:58 pm
Speed Racer

Such vulgar language by this Trixster above, in a holiday thread.

And he sure likes the word fuck a lot as it is in his thread 5 times.

Guess Trixster is one of the cool kids at school, who is really a delinquent in disguise.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]