Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Fault in Our Stars 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

The Fault in Our Stars 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

Quote:
The Fault in Our Stars is a 2014 romantic comedy-drama film directed by Josh Boone, based on John Green's 2012 novel of the same name. The film stars Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, and Nat Wolff. It is scheduled to be released on July 10, 2014 in The Netherlands and Australia and June 6, 2014 in the United States. It is released in the UK on June 19th 2014. Filming took place in Pittsburgh and Amsterdam.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:55 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: The Fault in Our Stars
Woodley is great, rest is okay. Waaayy too manipulative for my taste.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:58 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

woodley isn't even that good. best part is bearded willem dafoe, but he has only two scenes.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 30, 2014 1:50 pm
You must have big rats

His part is silly, though.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

the whole movie is silly

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 30, 2014 4:37 pm
100% That Bitch

A-

It is manipulative... Butbwho gives a shit? This was amazing and it's gonna be a fucking monster on the BO.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:48 pm
Forum General

Excited to see this tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
Excited to see this tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

Me too. So glad it's supposedly not terrible.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 pm
now we know

Willem Dafoe is in this twice?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Shailene Woodley is absolutely incredible in this. I was completely blown away by her performance, as well as Laura Dern's heartbreaking supporting turn. Ansel Elgort is also quite good, Nat Wolff adds some nice comic relief and Willem Dafoe is great in his two scenes. This movie definitely doesn't shy away from the brutal realities of a cancer diagnosis and those scenes in particular are very tough to watch. Also, for the most part the characters do genuinely feel like real, fleshed-out individuals, mostly thanks to the lovely screenplay that gives each actor a lot to work with. There are a few moments of dialogue I did find a bit cringeworthy and honestly I can tell without reading it that these are the parts lifted verbatim from the book. The way they were worded felt awkward and out of touch with the rest of the movie, and they seem shoehorned in to please fans of the novel. I didn't find the movie as emotionally devastating as some made me expect and I found only a few scenes truly tearjerking (honestly every scene between Hazel and her parents hit me right in the gut, as well as the Gus scene in Amsterdam, the scene at the gas station and Hazel's reaction after Gus's death) but it is an incredibly well-made and moving teen film with a great message that certainly deserves to be seen. I really can't say enough about how great Woodley was though. This is a starmaking performance if there ever was one that should lead to an even bigger boom in popularity for her. A-

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort and Laura Dern were all fantastic in this. Especially Woodley, who I agree deserves to be thrown into the discussion for awards at the end of the year. She was terrific. Elgort was also perfect as Gus and exactly how I pictured him while reading the novel. I thought the movie improved upon the source material a great deal. The first 2/3 of the book dragged for me. It was never boring but I wasn't totally into it. Here, the performances from Woodley and Elgort are so terrific and they have such wonderful chemistry they suck you right in. The last third of the movie felt a bit schmaltzy (which it didn't to me at all in the book, so that was a bit weird) but moving. Not a perfect movie but very, very good and well made.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Shailene Woodley is fantastic in this. This is a performance that definitely deserves award consideration. The chemistry between Hazel and Gus is great, and their relationship is very well written. This is a great, but not perfect, adaption of the book. It loses a few points from me because the whole author subplot doesn't really work like it did in the book. Just about everything else is nailed though. Laura Dern's supporting role surprised me. Great job.

A-

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I don't really know what I'd rate it, but it is a well-done, intelligent, and heartfelt romance. I know had I not read the book I would have loved the hell out of it. But because I had events felt so rushed to me. Part of me wishes I could watch this movie without having read the book first. I think I just expected so much being that I'm in love with the source material. Woodley was absolutely superb and gives an award-worthy performance. This is easily her best. Elgort is totally lovable and charming and perfectly captures the spirit of the Augustus Waters character from the book. I was concerned about how some of Gus's dialogue from the book would come off in the movie when actually said out loud but thankfully nothing was painfully cheesy. Not like I feared it could have been. The leads really couldn't have been more perfect for these parts and they share a great chemistry. Now I don't know if it's just that I got my tears out from reading the book, but the movie failed to make me cry and that's a bit of a letdown. I was expecting to be a blubbering mess. And I'll say if I hadn't read the book and known what was going to happen I probably would have been.

It's not less than an 8/10 for me, that much I know. They did do it justice and realistically I couldn't have expected better than this. I'm just feeling the slight disappointment I believe everyone does when a beloved book is adapted to film. But I'm also happy that it was really good, if that makes sense. I pretty much always feel an initial disappointment from films I'm highly anticipating so it's not out of the ordinary. Hopefully, like with most, I'll be able to enjoy it more on repeat viewings without those lofty expectations getting in the way.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:04 am
Extraordinary

Very faithful adaptation to the book, felt the same about both this and the book. I liked it but wasn't that crazy over it. Shailene is building up to be a very capable actress.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:15 pm
Sbil

I sobbed through it like a jackass, not gonna lie. It hits hard. Shailene Woodley is so wonderful here that she may actually top her performance in last year's The Spectacular Now; I really can't think of more capable hands to have left Hazel in. Ansel Elgort isn't quite his co-star's equal but he's certainly quite good too. Also, Laura Dern and Sam Trammell are both great in the designated parent roles. Really a beautiful and emotional film about life, love and everything in between. It's also quite funny throughout, perhaps surprisingly enough. And with Woodley's delightful performance, the film overcomes any other faults it might have (see what I did there?) had.

Okay.

A-

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is really as good as it is because of Shailene.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:37 pm
Profile YIM
why so serious?

It's not as good as the book, but The Fault in Our Stars is a very solid adaptation that successfully captures the raw voice of its source material. Although it does get too manipulative at times (especially in the third act, when the unnecessary swelling music is all too obvious of a reminder that we're watching a movie that wants badly to make the audience cry), it's mostly grounded and does an admirable job of exploring more realistic and complex depictions of diseased characters than we typically see in fiction. Although it certainly didn't hurt to have the screenwriters of (500) Days of Summer involved (not to mention reportedly heavy presence from John Green, the book's author), the most essential piece to the film's success is its lead actress, Shailene Woodley. As a fan of the book before landing the lead role, Woodley proves to be a perfect casting choice for Hazel. She doesn't overplay her hand in any of the scenes, and she sells all of her character's glib witticisms. It's a performance reminiscent of that of Ellen Page in Juno: she takes a character that could easily come across as a writer's construct, and instead succeeds in presenting her as a believable person. Between her work here and in The Descendants, there should be no remaining questions about her talent (so hopefully she'll have something interesting to do once she's done from the Divergent series). Ansel Elgort is also a very good fit as the love interest. Elgort has more than enough charisma to pull off the part, and his chemistry with Woodley is palpable. The rest of the cast doesn't have much to do, but Willem Dafoe makes a memorable impression in three scenes as the characters' favorite author. Like the book it's based on, The Fault in Our Stars is keenly aware of the tropes one would usually tie to stories about disease, and while it does fall victim to some of said tropes, it's so in tune with the realities of its characters that it's easy to forgive the manipulation and be moved by the performances at hand.

B+

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:56 am
Wallflower

I saw it again on Sunday and it was even better the second time around. Though I can't help but feel like the second half of "Fault" was more brutal in the book. It didn't shy away from the rough stuff. Felt a little softened in the film. Perhaps that's why I didn't full-on sob my eyes out. :P There was a line I really liked during the second half of the book that was heartbreaking. It's when Hazel finds Augustus in a pool of urine one morning and says "I've wet the bed Gus, believe me. It's no big deal." And he responded, “You used,” he said, and then took a sharp breath, “to call me Augustus.” It signaled how she started to see him differently. There was a disconnect between them now. This wasn't the Augustus Waters she knew.

From the part where she finds him at the gas station:

Quote:
While she waits for the ambulance, Hazel looks down at Augustus, noticing that a “desperate humiliated creature” had replaced the boy she had fallen in love with.

Maybe it's just me but I thought this all was fairly significant and it's disappointing they didn't include the "You used to call me Augustus" line.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:22 pm
Forum General

I agree completely. The last 1/3 of the movie wasn't the same quality that it was beforehand. If it stayed as great as it was, it would be an A from me.

It's funny because in the book, I thought everything that happened before we found out Augustus was dying, was a little on the slow side. I wasn't really invested in the story and I hated his friend. I thought he was so annoying. I remember I thought the chapter where his girlfriend broke up with him was unbearable. It picked up a lot after he tells Hazel what is going on with him but I also associated a lot of that with my boyfriend (he has MS, so whenever I see or read a story like this, I automatically think of that and the worst case scenario), so I found it that much more powerful and heartbreaking. With the movie, it was all flipped for me.

It was a good movie for sure, but I thought it could have improved upon the source material, which I don't think it fully did.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

There's supposed to be an extended cut on Blu-ray so I'm hoping it's something substantial. I could go for another ten minutes. Especially if it's in the second half.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:48 am
Extraordinary

So this is what a weepy looks like in 2014!

I'd say in that regard, The Fault in Our Stars hits all the notes while carrying the tune, but unfortunately stays on stage for one too many encores.

I was totally onboard until her wish was granted.

Alas, immediately afterwards the wheels flew off and the movie careened into a ditch killing all aboard.

Heh - - but I'm being too hard on it though, because stretching a weepy's story to the breaking point has always been part of the fun! Frankly, I'd be happy if they just cut the banal holocaust sequence. Without that lead weight dragging it down, this movie would be lighter than any error it otherwise contains.

Lucky for me, the two leads altogether worked for me, though some of the supporting characters were rather pencilled in. I dug Willem Dafoe's schtick, as always - - not to mention how nice it was to see good old Sandy Williams.

Yeah, it ain't perfect, but that's just what's needed to make a perfect weepy - - The Fault in Our Stars triggers a veritable spacequake of earthy tears.

15 out of 5.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

Wow, this is a great film! Color me surprised. Its characters have a sophisticated and complex viewpoint of their present, immediate future and impossible future and what they can and can't grasp. Hazel and Gus have wonderful chemistry and Woodley and Elgort are both just great. How much of a star foreshadowing performance this is for Woodley has been covered, but he's as good, but pulling off the humor and actually tapping into more of a darkness than his counterpart. It represents how this film is both light and dark. Also this is the best Willem Dafoe has been in years. What pushes this film from decent to great however is such a strong hand at director, the film's optimistic tone and entertaining flow in spite of its subject matter is crucial and the musical choices were excellent. The film walks a very thin line in places between drawing tears but avoiding sap, making Gus likable instead of a show-off, making you root for Peter even when he acts a fool, between making a romance everyone knows will happen not cliche, etc. and gets away with most of it because of its filmmaking. This will likely be one of my 10 favorites of the year.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:41 am
Pure Phase

I saw it tonight and highly enjoyed myself. The leads are both very charming and share a wonderful, hesitant, tender romantic energy. Shailene Woodley particularly shines. I am convinced now she is a genuine talent and a very viable star. She has a girl-next-door beauty, and she plays several notes here, from amusement to extreme grief, with absolute authenticity. She reminds me of Natalie Wood at her Splendor in the Grass best. Laura Dern is also fantastic as the heroine's mother, on her own journey of melancholy and self-exploration. It is is refreshing to see her unique and ever-improving-with-age talent (a talent deeply understood and often relied upon by David Lynch in his outsider cinema) utilized well in a high-profile studio feature. The film in general is definitely a calculatedly sentimental experience, but any cynical response is overcome by the sincere performances, the relaxed aesthetic, a thorough trust in the intelligence of adolescents, and a gentle pace which lets moments and feelings flow and evolve without becoming rushed. A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 am
Wallflower

David wrote:
I saw it tonight and highly enjoyed myself. The leads are both very charming and share a wonderful, hesitant, tender romantic energy. Shailene Woodley particularly shines. I am convinced now she is a genuine talent and a very viable star. She has a girl-next-door beauty, and she plays several notes here, from amusement to extreme grief, with absolute authenticity. She reminds me of Natalie Wood at her Splendor in the Grass best. Laura Dern is also fantastic as the heroine's mother, on her own journey of melancholy and self-exploration. It is is refreshing to see her unique and ever-improving-with-age talent (a talent deeply understood and often relied upon by David Lynch in his outsider cinema) utilized well in a high-profile studio feature. The film in general is definitely a calculatedly sentimental experience, but any cynical response is overcome by the sincere performances, the relaxed aesthetic, a thorough trust in the intelligence of adolescents, and a gentle pace which lets moments and feelings flow and evolve without becoming rushed. A-

:thumbsup:

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:44 am
Ocarina of Time

Overrated, it's average, with a redundant and melancholic dialogue/story which has been seen before.

I'm starting to enjoy Woodley's acting a lot more, she shines here, but part of the cast seemed a bit wasted to me (Dafoe, Trammell)

PS: Laura Dern??? dafuq??, didn't know she was here.............................Hollywood must hire her more often

B

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 am