Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Maleficent 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Maleficent 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Maleficent
Maleficent

Quote:
Maleficent (/məˈlɛfɪsənt/) is a 2014 dark fantasy adventure film directed by Robert Stromberg from a screenplay written by Linda Woolverton. Starring Angelina Jolie as the eponymous Disney Villainess character, the film is a live-action re-imagining of Walt Disney's 1959 animated film Sleeping Beauty, and portrays the story from the perspective of the antagonist, Maleficent. It began filming on June 18, 2012, and is scheduled for UK release by Walt Disney Pictures on May 28, 2014 and for US release on May 30, 2014 in the Disney Digital 3D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D formats, as well as in conventional theatres.

Thu May 29, 2014 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Maleficent
Jolie is great, rest is okay. My biggest problem with this is that set design/effects-wise it looks identical to Oz and Alice. All those Disney fairy tales look the same...

Thu May 29, 2014 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

So is Jolie the lead or does she split it with Sleeping Beauty?

Thu May 29, 2014 7:59 pm
You must have big rats

She is the lead.

Thu May 29, 2014 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Maleficent is a fairy tale. A very dark fairy tale. And a rather strange one at that.

Sure, there were moments I thought Maleficent might be losing her spell on me, but by the end she had completely won me over. I look forward to seeing her again soon!

Yeah, I might have hoped for a brighter, funnier film, but that just ain't ever goin' be Maleficent - - betrayal of the innocent is only the appetizer for the date rape mutilation scene - - and after being swept up in the epiphany of a conclusion, I wouldn't want it any other way!

Angelina Jolie is in full ice queen mode with flashes of Lara Croft in the fight scenes, and Sharlto Copley acquits himself reasonably well as the villainous Stefan. Meanwhile, Elle Fanning could get by on her glorious smile alone, but is a fine actress nonetheless.

Maleficent is indeed malevolently magnificent.

19 out of 5.

Warning: This is not a kids movie! It really has a bleak Shakespearean tone through most of it's running time. Of course, kids who dig dark, scary tales will love it, but it's really a movie for adults who dig dark, scary tales - - just prepare to be frightened.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:58 pm
loyalfromlondon

feminist

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 30, 2014 9:09 am
Extraordinary

Warning: Avoid 3D at all costs!!!

As I described in my review above, the story is very dark - - but the film itself features very dark images throughout, stunning dark images - - there's no need to see it with sunglasses on to rob Maleficent of her subtle dark beauty.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:33 am
Pure Phase

This live-action, mega-budget variation on Sleeping Beauty, told from the perspective of the curse-casting and emerald-flame-conjuring antagonist Maleficent, is far more enchanting and satisfying than I expected. It transported me. It excited me. In a gladly received surprise for a commercial spectacle released in the summer, it even moved me a bit. Of course, Angelina Jolie as Maleficent is an example of inspired casting. As she charts the character's transformation from naive romantic to hardened avenger (and subsequent softening), Jolie is transfixing. She conveys notes of despair, menace, and seduction, often at the same time, and infuses even the simplest lines with a certain macabre grandeur, as if savoring every single malevolent syllable. Elle Fanning, too, is invaluable as Aurora, the sleeping beauty herself. With her generous smile and brightly buoyant screen presence, she brings enormous charm, grace, and sensitivity to the role, perfectly complementing Jolie's icily voracious performance in the title role. As directed by veteran production designer and first-time feature director Robert Stromberg, the film has, I admit, a few bumps and shortcomings. Despite their considerable combined talent as idiosyncratic character performers, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple, and Lesley Manville are overbearing and poorly integrated as a trio of comic-relief fairies, and an extra 15 to 20 minutes (for development of peripheral characters, for general world building) would not be unwelcome in a revisionist fairy tale this swiftly paced at 97 minutes. Such complaints are small prices to pay, however, for visual euphoria and sublime lead performances, as well as a few intelligent twists and turns which complicate the conventional Mouse House conception of female bonding and the definition of "true love."

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 am
Extraordinary

This is the first movie I've seen this year that has me scrambling around trying to make time to see it a second time on opening weekend.

Sat May 31, 2014 6:45 am
We had our time together

I was pleasantly surprised by this. It feels a bit rushed but a fantastic Angelina Jolie more than makes up for that. She and Fanning elevate this above generic shit like Alice or Oz.

Sat May 31, 2014 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I really enjoyed it, probably more than I was even expecting to.

There are some elements of the film I wished were better, such as the "conflict" between the human world and the faerie world. The old King promoting the battle early on in the film felt really weak. So he heard of a growing power in the Moors, but they were clearly having many, many years of peaceful relations prior to his actions. His actions seemed really unjustified and unnecessary, really, going on about protecting his people or something before dying when there wasn't a sliver of evidence of a threat. And the three Faerie's were overused and not very funny, either, even with the talented actresses portraying them. Their involvement should have been in smaller doses throughout the film.

But there are many bright spots in the film as well. The visuals, while not noticeably different than its fantasy predecessors, are still very nice. The action sequences were above those found in similar films, and the pacing was solid, too, even if the film itself felt like it needed some more story development to slow it down. James Newton Howards's score is also solid. Angelina Jolie commands the screen better than just about anyone and no one else could have played Maleficent like she did. And everyone else, who I thought going into the film, would be dead weight did their roles quite well, too. Elle Fanning and Sharlto Copley were convincing enough, too, in their roles. Sam Riley actually gave Diavell an interesting character. And finally, while he wasn't bad and didn't really do anything in the film, Brenton Thwaites as Prince Phillip was quite dashing. It looks like he'll have a lead role in Gods of Egypt in 2016, so that's exciting.

Definitely better than Alice in Wonderland and Oz: The Great and Powerful, especially the latter. (B+)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat May 31, 2014 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

That was pretty good. I was actually pleasantly surprised by whose kiss woke her up.

7.5 or 8 out of 10

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Sat May 31, 2014 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
The old King promoting the battle early on in the film felt really weak. So he heard of a growing power in the Moors, but they were clearly having many, many years of peaceful relations prior to his actions. His actions seemed really unjustified and unnecessary, really, going on about protecting his people or something before dying when there wasn't a sliver of evidence of a threat.

Yea, right!

As if that doesn't sound familar.

Spoiler: show
Hint: It starts with dubya.

BTW, I just returned from my second trip to see Maleficent.

Excepting perhaps Night On Bald Mountain, Disney has surely never made a darker tale than this, and I cry hallelujah!

And, no surprise, the gloriously bright 2D screening I witnessed today wiped the floor with the dingy murk of the IMAX 3D version I saw at the preview - - it's like day and night.

Lo, a new Disney classic is born - - from this weekend forth, Maleficent will reign in hearts forever!

:noangel:

Sat May 31, 2014 9:20 pm
Sbil

A pretty enjoyable reinterpretation of Sleeping Beauty. Angelina Jolie is, of course, perfect in the role. B

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:44 am
Extraordinary

Liked it but it was kinda all over the place. The three faries in particular were dreadful, could've cut their scenes to the background. Wonder how much is cut 'cause I definitely felt like there was some story missing. Also thought the narration reveal was cheesy and unnecessary.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:15 am
We had our time together

I remember reading on IMDB that it's running time is a tad over 2 hours, a few days later it was changed to 97 minutes. That would explain why it feels so rushed.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJ's Grade:

B/B+

not bad, not bad, much better than Sleeping Beauty.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

It's also boring as hell.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Riggs wrote:
It's also boring as hell.

This

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
this movie was fucking boring as hell. The 1959 animated version is great. Fuck the haters.

truth

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:03 pm
Begging Naked

Or, I dunno, you could also like both films. I imagine that's an option too.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Magnus wrote:
this movie was fucking boring as hell. The 1959 animated version is great. Fuck the haters.

bilge

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:

:zonks:

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's good but the obvious cut in running time hurt the film for me. Just wasn't feeling how the Maleificent-Stephen feud resolved. But the scenes between Maleificent, Aurora and the crow, were wonderful

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 am
Ocarina of Time

I liked it a lot, still surprised how enjoyable I found it. I loved how the story was reimagined with a touch of heart.

Jolie and Fanning were awesome, I think their acting and interaction were sublime. Copley was great too as the king.

No complaints about running time, I'm so glad they didn't make it longer, the film just shows what it needs.

Things I found stupid were the three fairies, they were shit; and some minor facts involving the wrath of the king and the destiny of the queen :wacko:

Maleficent is also better, in many aspects, than its animated version, which presents the typical princess romance.
One thing I noticed is how disney has been changing key plot points in films like Frozen and Maleficent, where the fate of the main characters (final kiss/true love) is given to other people (Anna, Maleficent) rather than the prince.

Never thought I would love this movie despite of having disliked Alice, Oz and Snow White back in theatres.
This is the best live action fairy tale incarnation to date, it's even more fun and likeable than Jack and the Giant Slayer, which I thought was good

Hands down Jolie, you deserve this hit.

A must have on blu when it comes out.

A-

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny