Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Spider-Man 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 34 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 14 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 55

Spider-Man 2 
College Boy Z

Post Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 2

Quote:
Spider-Man 2 is a 2004 American superhero film directed by Sam Raimi, written by Alvin Sargent and developed by Alfred Gough, Miles Millar, and Michael Chabon. It is the second film in the Spider-Man film franchise based on the fictional Marvel Comics character Spider-Man. It saw the return of Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson and James Franco as Harry Osborn.

Set two years after the original, the film focuses on Peter Parker struggling to manage both his personal life and his duties as Spider-Man. The main villain in this film is Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina), who turns insane following a failed experiment and the death of his wife. Using his mechanical tentacles, Octavius is dubbed "Doctor Octopus" and threatens to endanger the lives of the people of New York City.

The film was released in 2004 in the United States by Columbia Pictures, and received high acclaim from critics. It grossed over $783 million worldwide, and won the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. The film's success led to the final sequel, Spider-Man 3.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:28 pm
I'm Batman

Huge improvement from SP1. Best movie of 2004. Also best comic book adaption ever.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:38 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Pretty good for the most part, except I didnt like the ending very much...A-

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

A great sequel to one of the best comic book movies ever. This easily beats the first. They don't show enough of Spidey in this one, but it didn't matter. The fight scene on the train was the best.

A+

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:48 pm
Teh Mexican

somewhat disapointed!, all the fight scenes are great!, but i like the first one better!

B+

Last edited by matatonio on Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:57 pm
Superman: The Movie

Even though Spider-Man 2 is one of the best superhero movies I have ever seen, it still doesn't come close to being as good as the original Superman.

Unlike the first movie, this movie had much better CGI, which made the action more believeable. It also had a much better plot.

However, the thing that still seperates the Spider-Man series from the Superman series, or even the Batman series, is the musical score. Even though I think Danny Elfman is overrated, he is a good composer. The problem though is, he doesn't have a main theme for Spider-Man whatsoever.

That's only a minor complaint in what is a great movie.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I did not really care for it. They used way to much CG and they gave away who Spiderman was wtf? but then again I wont rate it cause I watched it only for Bruce Campbells 5minutes and I fell asleep 3 times watching it in the theater.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Loved it, one of the most entertaining movies of the year.

- A-/B+

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Sun May 15, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:27 am
Indiana Jones IV

A, I want the DVD, but don't have enough $ yet.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Seems like everybody in this movie likes the sound of his or her own voice. So they talk to each other incessantly leading to utter Boredom.

Grade: D-

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

It was mostly good, but Peter was played as so butter-soft by Tobey that it was almost embarassing. I understand he's supposed to be sensitive but geez. I also didn't see what was so special about Mary Jane that two guys were chasing her like that. The actions scenes were good and I loved the humor, and I love the "Raindrops keep falling on my head scene". And Doc Ock was a good villain.

I do have one minor question that is probably nothing -- but when that landlord mentioned he had the eyes of a rat and the ears of a cat (or something like that...) almost made me wonder if they were planting a seed for him to be a villain in a future Spider-Man movie. And the bit with that guys daughter seemed unresolved, I kept expecting that to develop into something more one way or the other.

The movie overall could have used another half hour, they never really followed up on the subplots, Aunt May, the landlord, Peter's money issues, a lot of the subplots were just dropped half way through the movie. The movie seemed to kind of just stop, instead of wind down to a natural conclusion.

Still, by summer movie standards it was good and entertaining and better than most comic book adaptations.

Oh and A++ to the opening credits, loved that.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pushes the summer action film to another level. The film is as surprisingly serious as it is funny. Arguably the best super-hero film, as well as one of the best films made about the difficulty of growing up and having to accept responsibility forthings beyond your capacity to control.

On a deeply personal level, this film has given me much that I have sought after in films, and for that, I am very grateful.

A-

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

---

It wasn't quite as good as the original, but it wasn't all that bad either. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but given the massive amount of hype, it left me wondering, was that really all?

B+

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:55 am
Hot Fuss

BARELY an A. Very well made film, though.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:18 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I got the DVD, and rewatched a couple of times and the grade dropped to an A-

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is the better film out of the two. But still, it lacks any maturity.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post F -: Worst comic book adaptation ever?
Should've been called "Peter Parker." Because this movie just isn't about Spider-Man. This is a SEQUEL goddamnit! There is no reason for Spider-Man to appear for so little time in this movie. The first one had an excuse not to show Spider-Man every 10 seconds, however there is no reason why the main focus should be Peter Parker. This is just a chick flick - not a super hero action movie. Too much romance, and the "romance" in it is laughable with its stupid dialogue and horrid acting. If I want to see a chick flick, I do not want to look toward Spider-Man. Obviously Sam put this "romance" story to lure in the girls, and he had little regard for its source material. It had a cliche ending and Doc Ock was destroyed - Doc Ock is MARRIED? SANE? This movie also follows the same formula as the first with the "villain":

1. The future bad guy (Norman and Octavious) right now is a good guy who gets along with Peter.
2. Bad guy tries a science experiment (Glider/Serum and radiation, in Oscorp, of course) but it fucks up, someone close to the villain dies and now the villain is crazy.
3. First battle: Spider-Man wins (the parade and the bank).
4. Second battle: Villain wins (the house fire/Jameson's office and the train).
5. Last battle: Villain kills himself (because of their experiments).

Horrible character development. Most of the 373,585,825 subplots went nowhere. What's up with that ugly girl with the cake? It's like Sam just packed on all the problems on Peter just to make it SEEM like it's more character driven when all it is is a mess.

Everyone seems to cry in this film as well. How anyone can compare this sentimentalist crap to the original, fun hearted comic book series and original Spider-Man is beyond me. It's slow and stupid.

I give it an F- while I give the original a B -.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Love it. Better than the first (which was really good).

A

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

An incredible sequel that manages to be better than the first in almost every way.

10/10 (A+)

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:24 pm
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

The first thing that strikes me about Spider-Man 2, was how funny it was. The midnight showing that I went to was packed, and it kept people laughing throughout. It was a perfect continuation to the saga of Spider-Man, in every sense of the word. The action and effects were the best that I have ever seen. Kudos to the boys who put all the effort in, because it really shows. Raimi really has a good handle of Peter Parker's world and character, right down to his bad luck, and Tobey played the part to perfection once again. It was also cool to see Peter moved into his run down apartment, with the land lord hounding him for the rent all the time. It was right out of the comic.

The supporting cast was also excellent again, with Kirsten Dunst again playing a great Mary Jane, J.K. Simmons doing a note perfect portrayal of J. Jonah Jameson, and James Franco developing the character of Harry very nicely. Rosemary Harris was very good as Aunt May again, and the scenes of Doc Ock taking her in his arms, brought back many memories of my younger days as I read those stories. Speaking of Doctor Octopus, Alfred Molina tore it up in the role, and the CGI couldn't have been more perfect!

It was also nice to see Willem Defoe and Cliff Robertson have cameos, as it really made the continuity hold together great!

If I did have one small gripe, it would be with Peter revealing himself to the people on the train. I have no problem with Octavius finding out who Spider-Man was, since he died, or with Harry and Mary Jane finding out, since they did in the comic, but a bunch of untrustworthy strangers who would sell him out in a second, should not have been exposed to his secret. It's just a minor complaint, and nothing that bothered me much.

All in all...this was a great movie. I liked the first slightly better, only slightly, but the first film replaced a film that had been my favorite for almost 30 years.

A+

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:23 pm
Killing With Kindness

A+

One of the best super hero films ever, only topped by the greatness of Batman Returns :cool:

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

B+

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:00 am
Teenage Dream

Better than the original!

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:11 pm
Forum General

Not better than the first SPIDER-MAN (9/10 or A-) but it's still alright.

7/10 (B)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:05 pm