Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Glory 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Glory 
College Boy Z

Post Glory
Glory

Quote:
Glory is a 1989 American drama war film directed by Edward Zwick and starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes and Morgan Freeman.

It is based on the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, as told from the point of view of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, its commanding officer during the American Civil War. The 54th regiment was one of the first formal units of the United States Army to be made up entirely of African American men.

The film was produced by Freddie Fields. The storyline was conceived from a screenplay written by Kevin Jarre, based on the personal letters of Colonel Shaw, and from a pair of novels; Lay This Laurel authored by Lincoln Kirstein and One Gallant Rush by Peter Burchard.

A joint collective effort to commit to the film's production was made by TriStar Pictures and Freddie Fields Productions. It was commercially distributed by Tri-Star Pictures theatrically in the United States. In home media format, the film was distributed by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The soundtrack composed by James Horner in conjunction with the Boys Choir of Harlem, was released on January 23, 1990.

Following the film's cinematic release, it was nominated for multiple awards, including Academy Award nominations for Best Editing and Best Art Direction. The film also won a number of awards including those from the British Academy Awards and the Golden Globes. Denzel Washington won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in his portrayal of the character Trip.

Glory premiered in theaters in limited release in the United States on December 14, 1989 and in wide release on February 16, 1990 grossing $26,828,365 in domestic ticket sales. It was considered a moderate financial success taking into account its $18 million budget costs. On June 2, 2009, the widescreen Blu-ray disc version of the film, featuring the director's commentary and deleted scenes, was released.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:25 pm
Veteran

If you haven't seen this yet, put it at the top of your list. It's outstanding. I had a hard time enjoying Zwick's film The Last Samurai because I kept comparing the two (especially the endings). The whole cast is great, especially Denzel Washington who won his first Oscar for this. It's a solid A.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

A fine motion picture, everything about this movie is great. Everyone invovled in the movie did a great job, even Matthew Broderick. Edward Zwick did a great job with this movie, and he only had a 20 million dollar budget (I believe), its the movie that made me feel Last Samurai would be good (it was not).

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

a great movie about the first black regiment in the civil war. amazing performances by freeman, broderick and especially washington. highly recommended.

A

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:00 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Its the best civil war picture out there and normally civil war pictures arent my cup of tea. Very strong perfomances by Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick

A+

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:39 am
I just lost the game

Good film overall. The entire thing felt like it was constantly on the verge of being something truly remarkable. Not to say it wasn't bad. Great performances from everyone (Denzel was fantastic). B+

Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:49 pm
Extraordinary

The second best civil war film outhere(best being gettysburg),the performances are great especially from Freeman and Washington.

****/****

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't care for Glory.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:58 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Glory
I'm right on the Mason Dixon border when it comes to Glory. It is a good movie for the most part, carried by excellent performances from the supporting cast and some great cinematography during the battle scenes. Denzel is obviously the man here and you can see how this role would lead to him becoming an A-Lister.

Two things held it back, though it might have been only one and a half. The first is Mathew Broderick who seems very miscast here. I know the mantra of oscar bait films is to show a historically oppressed people through the eyes of a nice white man, but I really didn't care about his plot. Now, if the intention had been to cast an actor who was always going to feel out of place then they did a good job, but that definitely wasn't clear and since Broderick was huge at this time I'm guessing they picked him for starpower. Worse than that, and everything else is the score. My goodness. Tryhard much? Rather than adding weight to the big emotional scenes it actually undercuts them, making me laugh at how hard they are trying to make feel something for these forgotten heroes.

Still, its a great story and the actors and DP do well enough telling it. I'll give it a passing grade - B-.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]