Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Grudge Match 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Grudge Match 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Grudge Match
Grudge Match

Quote:
Grudge Match is an upcoming sports comedy starring Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro as aging boxers stepping into the ring for one last bout. Stallone and De Niro have both previously been in successful boxing films (Rocky and Raging Bull, respectively) and worked together in Cop Land. The film is being directed by Peter Segal. It was previously scheduled for a January 10, 2014 release, but it was later moved to December 25, 2013.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Grudge Match
algrenific

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 am
now we know

Somebody saw it already?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

i did

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

me too, can't discuss it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:20 pm
now we know

Two people saw it.

Thread opens.

0 reviews.

Any point in having a thread?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

my first post was my review

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 pm
now we know

Nobody knows what that means. Is that a compliment or a criticism?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

A complicism, obviously.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:04 am
loyalfromlondon

Algren wrote:
Nobody knows what that means. Is that a compliment or a criticism?

depends on what you think of algren

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:14 am
now we know

He's a total cunt.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Sigh. This is a creative dud, which is a shame because I dig both stars and hoped for a satisfying pairing serving both well. The central boxing film (concerned with a pair of long retired rival fighters coming out of retirement for a final match to conclude their unresolved feud and for an enormous payday) is fine, even though it is a shame how fast the climactic bout becomes a rapid-fire montage rushing toward the 12th round. The problem is the rest of the bull. Neither the outside-the-ring sentimental drama (estranged son! lost love!) nor the grumpier-old-boxers humor is of a high quality, and at close to two hours, the film, directed without flair by studio friendly journeyman Peter Segal, is crowded and lethargic.

Kim Basinger has a dull, borderline degrading role as a former flame of both protagonists who reenters their lives the same time as the television cameras. Her snore inducing part and the inert scenes devoted to her are emblematic of the overall enterprise's inability to realize its ambition to amuse and warm hearts in equal measure. Robert De Niro plays his character as a bastard by way of a used-car salesman and may be more unsympathetic here than in Raging Bull, which is a problem because this is a comedy set for release on Christmas Day, not a hard-edged drama exploring male rage and self-destruction. Rarely has third-act redemption landed with a louder thud. And though his presence may be a casting coup on a financial level, stand-up comedian and rising film star Kevin Hart often confuses sheer volume with scene-stealing charm and wit as the promoter who plots the grudge match. I found him largely grating.

Saving the film from absolute failure are Sylvester Stallone, holding court with reserved nobility, and Alan Arkin, utilized just as he was in films as disparate as Argo and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and now no doubt able to deliver acerbic one-liners in his sleep. This is far from a career highlight for either man, but their scenes together as a salt-of-the-earth athlete and his weathered trainer are pleasant and clearly indebted to Stallone's iconic interaction with Burgess Meredith's Mickey in the Rocky franchise. The sole moment of genuine inspiration comes, alas, halfway through the credits via an outstanding double cameo which should not be spoiled.

C-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:50 pm
now we know

Thanks for the review. I don't know when I'm going to get to see this...but from now on I will not check this thread.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I liked it. It gets vomit-inducingly sentimental at the end, but that's my only big complaint. Well that and this should've come out no later than 15 years ago, but I can't really hold that against the film.

*** (B)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

GRUDGE MATCH

I liked the trailers but wasn't eager to watch the film. Checked it out today. My first of 2014 and I was pretty entertained by it. I thought DeNiro and Stallone played well off eachother and DeNiro was especially funny. I think there should have been more a bit more Kevin Hart but I was pleased with what was in it. The final bout was well done with some good slo mo moments. The extra scenes during the credits were funny as well.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 pm
We had our time together

Definately a positive surprise. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Stallone and DeNiro are in fine form and I also liked Jon Bernthal's part. I actually laughed quite a bit and the last scene during the credits was hilarious.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It took me a while, but I've now seen it. I just had to. It's not a masterpiece by any means, or even a great boxing movie, and it's not even particularly well made, but it made me feel good. Isn't that its aim? Isn't that its purpose? It started off a little too slow, and the humbleness carried through until the end (afraid of putting the pedal down on the humour lever), and it was a little uneven and badly paced, but somewhere along the way, it started building, joke after joke, heart-felt monologue after heart-felt monologue, and the result is that it put a smile on my face and made me feel good.

It's a tried-and-tested formula that Peter Segal used, and I usually roll my eyes at the sight of these template-written scripts, but when you have elements thrown in to the mix such as the modest and athletically built statue of Stallone against a cocky, self-absorbed, egotistical runt of De Niro, and with some cool shots of them going at it, I can get over anything, least of all mediocre screenwriting. It just doesn't matter to me. Now, don't get me wrong, this wasn't any Rocky Balboa, and it is patchy, but it was a light and fun movie that I was unable to be distracted from watching.

Kevin Hart was fine, and Alan Arkin was ok too, but I really enjoyed seeing Kim Basinger. I thought Robert De Niro was the funniest one in the film, actually. I loved how much Jon Bernthal looked like a relative of the De Niro family, which is obviously why they chose him.

The music is nothing special, and the training montages are nothing in comparison to any other boxing movie, but the training scenes (and the film itself) do at least represent the physicality and psychological state of its co-protagonists; slow, patchy, weighty, and momentarily fiery.

It's not Oscar material, it's a cliched story, and it's not even particularly well acted, and I had about five good laughs throughout the whole film, but it's such a sweet story, and the ending is exactly how it should be, and those five laughs were totally worth it.

I want to watch it again right now.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:36 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I just watched it again. It's slow-paced and dramatically patchy, but it's adorable. I love the Mike Tyson/Evander Holyfield credits scene. B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:33 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I just watched this again and I feel exactly the same. Creatively, it's a miss. But somewhere, deep inside, is a heart and a few jokes. And I never get tired of seeing Stallone and De Niro's physical acting. I also just love to follow the grudge match through its motions; the press conference, the public showings, and then the fight, these are all just fun to watch. The story with Kid's son and grandson is unneeded, as is Sharp's old flame. I would have preferred just a mano-a-mano boxing film, which would still have included the trainers (which were arguably the best parts). The supporting characters make it more of a rounded, more accessible product, which therein lies the problem with Grudge Match. It's too broad, and could have done with being a serious boxing movie, which considering Stallone's shape, would not have been seen as a joke.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I think Algren is more biased to liking any boxing movie than I am to Disney animation.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 am
now we know

That statement is ludicrous. I'm not biased. It's just my taste. I would be biased if I was a boxer in real life or if I was the director of this movie. Just liking a boxing movie doesn't make me biased.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Bias isn't bad. I'm totally biased in every review I write.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:51 pm
now we know

Well, I'm not biased in any review I write.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

What are biases anyway, when it comes to reviews? Reviews are always personal opinions, no matter if they come from Algren or from Roger Ebert (the difference is just in the reasoning) and, in the end, biases are nothing but a form of personal opinions.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The bias is added to a personal opinion when you are influenced other than by the film. For example, if I were the writer of a film, and I said it was great, then people would claim I am biased. They have a valid point. Being just a viewer, and not involved in any way in the production, or affected in any way by my positive or negative review, means there is no bias from me.

It is stupid to say that because one likes a certain actor, they are biased when watching films with that actor in. That's not a bias. That's just a reason why you like the film. Actors are part of the film. It's fine to like a film because a certain actor is in it. Just the same that it's fine to like films from a certain genre.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next