Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Fifth Estate 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Fifth Estate 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Fifth Estate
The Fifth Estate

Quote:
The Fifth Estate is a 2013 American thriller film directed by Bill Condon, about the news-leaking website WikiLeaks starring Benedict Cumberbatch as its editor-in-chief and founder Julian Assange, and Daniel Brühl as its former spokesperson Daniel Domscheit-Berg. Anthony Mackie, David Thewlis, Alicia Vikander, Stanley Tucci, and Laura Linney are also featured in supporting roles. The film's screenplay was written by Josh Singer based in-part on Domscheit-Berg's book Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange and the World's Most Dangerous Website (2011), as well as WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange's War on Secrecy (2011) by British journalists David Leigh and Luke Harding.

Co-produced by DreamWorks Pictures and Participant Media, The Fifth Estate premiered at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival, and will be released theatrically in the United States on October 18, 2013 through Disney's Touchstone Pictures label, with international distribution divided among Disney, Reliance Entertainment, and independent arrangements by Mister Smith Entertainment.

Critical reviews were mixed; with the film receiving criticism over its screenplay and direction, whereas positive mentions were given on the acting, particularly Cumberbatch's performance.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Fifth Estate
over-directed

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:20 pm
You are waiting for a train

Yes, and also just really dull. Everyone's written so paper-thin.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm
Forum General

trixster wrote:
over-directed

How does one tell when a film is overdirected? I'm slightly confused.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:15 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

one watches the film

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

trixster wrote:
one watches the film

wise words

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

You're a bit of brown-nosing halfwit, jmovies, and I highly respect you for it.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:04 pm
Pure Phase

Creating a film focused on events of the recent past, on decisions made and moments inspired by people whose lives are still in motion and unresolved, is challenging, and it is a course The Fifth Estate at times fails to navigate with grace, but I still found the overall film to be an engaging, thoughtful, and worthy experience. It is, of course, the story of Julian Assange, the iconic and divisive Australian web activist who founded a website to post the secret (and oftentimes damning) documents of financial institutions and governments without redaction and to protect the brave people who spirit them from inside the vaults of the powerful to the public at large. The film focuses on the briefly felicitous, later troubled bond shared by Julian and Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a German computer expert and early advocate of the Internet as a vehicle with which to pursue justice and truth. With the distinctive white hair and a gaze always turning from anxious and alive to cold and calculating, rising British star Benedict Cumberbatch is entrusted with one of the year's flashier roles and, to his credit, perfectly captures the blend of magnetic, if unusual charm and otherworldly menace which defines the iconoclastic man whose face has so often dominated evening newscasts in recent years.

Most of the swiftly paced and suspense oriented film's stylistic and thematic choices are sound, including one to visualize the Internet as a heightened physical environment in which the characters interact to sidestep the potential for a tedious visual experience (since typing is not the most cinematic of actions), though certain lines of dialogue land with a thud, sounding closer to thesis statements from a university paper on morality, privacy, and technology in the 21st century than a natural conversation. In spite of its earnest imperfections and, if this is indeed a flaw, its predictable failure to wrap its hands around the complexity and legacy of its subject in his entirety, The Fifth Estate is not a hard film to recommend for three reasons: its lead performance is marvelous, it moves at an entertaining and urgent spy-movie pace, and it has the potential to inspire valuable conversation and further investigation.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:46 am
Pure Phase

Is Anthony Mackie meant to be playing the Deputy Director of the NSA? If so, perfectly cast.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]