Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Romeo + Juliet 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Romeo + Juliet 
College Boy Z

Post Romeo + Juliet
Romeo + Juliet

Quote:
William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet is a 1996 film adaptation of William Shakespeare's romantic tragedy of the same name. It was directed by Australian Baz Luhrmann and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in the starring roles.

The film is an abridged modernization of Shakespeare's play. While it retains the original Shakespearean dialogue, the Montagues and the Capulets are represented as warring business empires and swords are replaced by guns (manufactured by 'Sword').

Some of the names were also changed. Lord and Lady Montague and Lord and Lady Capulet were given first names (as opposed to the Shakespeare original where their first names are never mentioned), Friar Lawrence became Father Lawrence, and Prince Escalus was renamed Captain Prince.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:20 pm
Forum General

Lovely movie with amazing performances. I just bought it and I'm really happy that I own it.

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Is this the one with Leo Dicaprio and Claire Danes? If so..hated it. I really detest when the take Shakespeare or other period pieces in literatue and adapt it to modern times...urggghhh..

I much prefer Zeferelli's R & J. A classic imho.

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

That last scene was amazing.

The movie, suprisingly, worked pretty well too (in a Moulin Rouge kind of way, but not nearly as good).

B+

Best Actress 2008

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Is this the one with Leo Dicaprio and Claire Danes? If so..hated it. I really detest when the take Shakespeare or other period pieces in literatue and adapt it to modern times...urggghhh..

I much prefer Zeferelli's R & J. A classic imho.

Zeffirelli is the god of Shakespeare. Not only is his Romeo and Juliet the best, he did Taming of the Shrew a year earlier that is a divine interpretation too. Both of them rank amongst the best adaptations to screen ever (for Shakespeare).

As to this version. It was actually pretty good too. Alot of people gave it bad rep because of Leo, and in general how highschoolish he and Daines were, but they did their parts perfectly. I think people forget that Romeo and Juliet were 13 and 12 respectively. They are supposed to be flighty, whimsical, gripped by the passions of youth. Kuhrmann manages to reign in his campiness and use the appropriate amount of kitsch and sincerity. The scene were Daines is garbed as an angel and appears as an angel in Romeo's eyes is a great use of costume that doesn't seem tacky because it's part of a gala.

More people should give this version a chance.

B+

Last edited by dolcevita on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:50 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I think Romeo was more than one year older than Juliet. I could be mistaken, but I thought he was like 17/18 and she was 12.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

B+

Claire + Leo + highly entertaining and great film :cool:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am
Profile WWW
---------

It was kinda weird, it was Romeo and Juliet super updated. It was also weird they still talked in Shakespearian (if I remember correctly). But it still held the main story and was good.

B
86%
#157 on my all-time list

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:03 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:57 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

9/10 (A-)

Yay! I was curious as to what you'd give it, I'm glad you loved it :)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's excellent. Baz Luhrmann's second best film behind MOULIN ROUGE, which is one of my top ten favorites.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:02 am
Profile YIM
We had our time together

Easily my favorite Shakespeare adaptation. DiCaprio once again shows how great of an actor he is and Danes is wonderful. When I saw the movie in theaters (i was 10 back then) I loved her. :tongue: A-

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Combine that with a horrible adaptation, and you get a horrible movie!

Here's my gripe. If you're going to modernize a Shakespeare play, modernize the language, too. Otherwise, don't modernize it at all. Talking about swords while waving around guns is just dumb. I had the same problem with Eathan Hawke's Hamlet, though the ending for Romeo and Juliet isn't as murdered as that Hamlet.

:glare:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

Fun and unique concept, but it gets old after about 20 minutes. The opening couple scenes are just breathtaking, but after that...meh.

Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet is godly by the way, agreeing with the comments above.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:21 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

I loved the visual modernizing of the Bard's play. The renaming of the swords to guns was great as was some of the cheesy sound effects. The thing that most impressed me was Harold Perrineau's Mercutio. He shows up as a cross dresser and steals the rest of the scenes he is in and delivers a solid Queen Mab speech (the basis of judgment for all Mercutio's). Benvolio is just as dumb in this version as he reads in the play and Tybalt is still an asshat.

I'm not the biggest fan of Romeo and Juliet as the written work, but this version kept me interested and I really liked Claire Danes. DiCaprio was serviceable and did not drag down the film. A for effort and C for the script (I just don't like it that much except for Mercutio) which averages to a B.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Really enjoyed it, one of my top five favorite Shakespeare film adaptations...

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:27 am
Sbil

Really solid. Claire Danes was wonderful as Juliet. B+

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:21 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I thought it completely desestable. Once again, a Baz Luhrmann film leaves me with nothing but a major headache and a sore jaw from all the cringing.

And pretty much all the actors are woefully inadequate for the dialogue. Almost enough to make one long for Matthew Lillard and Alicia Silverstone in Love's Labour's Lost. Almost.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am
Extraordinary

I thought it completely desestable. Once again, a Baz Luhrmann film leaves me with nothing but a major headache and a sore jaw from all the cringing.

And pretty much all the actors are woefully inadequate for the dialogue. Almost enough to make one long for Matthew Lillard and Alicia Silverstone in Love's Labour's Lost. Almost.

You sick #@%#$& freak!!!

(BTW... the title is actually Romeo + Juliet...)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:06 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Romeo and Juliet (1996)
A, duh.

I want Baz Luhrmann to do MORE! I can watch this and Moulin Rouge! at any given time. Doesn't matter, I am always in the mood to watch them. Austrailia doesn't sound THAT great to me (really don't like Hugh Jackman) but very little has been announced yet, so I'll wait.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Post Re:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
yoshue wrote:

You sick #@%#$& freak!!!

(BTW... the title is actually Romeo + Juliet...)

Fixed that grevious error. :thumbsup: Anyways I'm with you on this one, it's one of the best film adaptations of Shakespeare I've seen. I don't shun, but celebrate, that Baz makes the brave choice of being so wildly different from the norm.

Alright, having just finished this now I'm on to Julie Taymor's Titus. I chose this on your reccomendation bradley, please don't lead me astray!

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:32 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Re:
MovieDude wrote:
Alright, having just finished this now I'm on to Julie Taymor's Titus. I chose this on your reccomendation bradley, please don't lead me astray!

I have every confidence in my recommendation - - just don't expect an uplifting experience - - it's one down & dirty tragedy...

:noway:

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:48 am
Forum General

Post Re: Romeo + Juliet
I just watched the last half hour or so of this on HBO. It's been years since I watched it. It's such a great movie and Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes are just wonderful in it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 am
Profile YIM WWW