Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 To the Wonder 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

To the Wonder 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post To the Wonder
To the Wonder

Quote:
To the Wonder is a 2012 American romantic drama art film written and directed by Terrence Malick, starring Ben Affleck, Olga Kurylenko, Rachel McAdams, and Javier Bardem. The film premiered in competition at the 2012 Venice Film Festival.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post Re: To the Wonder
I think of Malick the way Cézanne thought of Ingres:
Quote:
Auch Ingres, potztausend, hat kein Blut. Er zeichnet. Die Primitiven zeichneten. ... das, was man Malerei nennt, entsteht erst bei den Venezianern. ... Oh! Ingres, Raffael und die ganze Gesellschaft, das ist sehr schön. ... Aber es gibt da eine Klippe. ... Ingres [hat] nur die Linie, und das genügt nicht. ... Das ist rein, das ist zart, das ist lieblich, aber das ist platonisch. Das ist ein Bilderbogen, das hat keinen Luftraum. ... Es ist des Systems wegen. Und System ist falsch[...]

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 pm
You must have big rats

Malick is not interested in the viewers of his films, thus I am not interested in the filmmaker Malick.

This will be the last film of his I saw in theatres.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Is it that bad?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Riggs wrote:
Is it that bad?

Kind of, yes. Self-indulent beyond any decency. Malick's attempt at self-therapy.

I mean Malick together with Lubezki can make even a swewer or a construction site look GORGEOUS. Also, as Magnus has already said, McAdams and particularly Kurylenko (wowow!) have never looked better on screen. But there is nothing behind this. And worst of all, it could have ended at any point and would have never seemed random. Could have ended up 30 minutes or after 70...it wouldn't have mattered.

There was one scene at which an entire row of critics got up and went out. (Magnus can try to guess which)

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
There was one scene at which an entire row of critics got up and went out. (Magnus can try to guess which)

Spoiler: show
When Skinny Pete from Breakign Bad fucks Olga? Or during any of the Javier Bardem scenes?

in all seriousness though, i think Lecter and I are under-playing just how gorgeous McAdams and Kurylenko are. I'm tempted to say that the beauty of these women in this film is easily worth admission price.

Kurylenko easily comes out on top, though.

Oh and another thing with this film. It never conveys how on earth these two women could fall so much for Ben Affleck's character...

When the random Italian chick appears and brings the fifth language into the film (after French, English, Spanish and Russian). That's when some of the seasoned critics just said "Fuck that"

After 15 minutes a friend sitting next to me asked, whether Ben Affleck got no speaking role in the film... :funny:

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I don't appreciate randomness for the sake of randomness. Knowing Malick, in the original cut the actress probably had the leading role :lol:

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

And Jessica Chastain and Michael Sheen and Amanda Peet and Barry Pepper...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

How did Affleck do?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Hard to tell. Not that good, I suppose, but he also had nothing to work with. He says maybe 20 words in the whole film.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love Rachel McAdams and Ben Affleck but I don't know if I plan on seeing this. The word is just too mixed and I found Tree Of Life to be a mixed bag to begin with (I loved the Pitt/Chastain scenes - HATED the Penn scenes and the first 40 minutes).

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I need to note here that I actually loved The Tree of Life...

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
(I loved the Pitt/Chastain scenes - HATED the Penn scenes and the first 40 minutes).

That's exactly how I felt about Tree of Life. Almost shut it off. But before I'd reached that point it started to get good. Starts bad, ends bad, but the middle was great. To The Wonder sounds like crap though and looks like Tree of Life 2.0. I love McAdams, so maybe I'll just watch her scenes on YouTube someday, but there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile here outside of gorgeous cinematography.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm
Pure Phase

I respect the fact it is a very ambitious and distinctive film exploring a range of big themes and topics, including Catholicism, heartache, and the environment, but I wish its fragmented and mystical blend of rhapsodic imagery (of France, of the American Midwest) and poetic whispering ("love that loves us") aroused more genuine feeling and thought. This is subjective, of course, but I found most of the film went in one ear and out the other, however beautiful on an aesthetic level. Despite the fact his character is more a peripheral tangent than a central concern, Javier Bardem is fantastic as a troubled priest no longer certain he believes in God. The scenes of him visiting marginalized people--the disabled, hospice patients, prison inmates--are by far the most moving and authentic to be found here.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:42 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually liked this quite a bit more than I was expecting to after hearing all the negative buzz. Much like The Tree Of Life (which is overall a better movie) there were aspects of this I loved and aspects of it I absolutely hated. I almost wish that Terrence Malick would release versions of his films as they are originally intended in the script stage on DVD/Blu-ray at least. This one feels super choppy and it is clear that a lot was left on the cutting room floor. It also grows tiresome by the end in terms of the voiceover/nature shots/Olga's character twirling around fields (which she does a lot in this movie). Also small things about it started annoying me too - such as how none of the characters seemed to own any furniture. But I was actually pretty involved for a good portion of it, which surprised me. The cinematography is GORGEOUS as is the score, and for the most part the actors thrive when they are given material to work with. I thought the first 45 minutes or so were the best - I started losing interest after Rachel McAdams's abrupt exit. I also found Javier Bardem's character pointless. It's worth checking out at least once - though I feel like it could have been a much stronger, more effective film if Malick allowed for a bit more of an actual narrative. B-

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

I found the longing and searching of Bardem's character more interesting and moving than the lovers.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 am
Pure Phase

Malick partly fails him by turning it into such an anemic subplot, but I believe his acting is spot-on, and the idea--the melancholy of a priest in a foreign land as he endures a crisis of faith--is loaded with fascination and potential.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 am
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Bardems plot is a joke.

Yep.

If the movie had been centered on him, yes, it would have had potential.

But as a side plot it is just another of Malick's struggles with his own beliefs. Can't he just afford a therapist?

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

By the way, the Internet says:

Weisz played Neil's sister, who I believe is referenced at one point. Barry Pepper played another priest. Michael Sheen played Neil's boss (at the EPA?). Chastain played a woman with whom he has a brief fling (dude sure gets high-end tail for a sullen water tester living in rural Oklahoma).

Amanda Peet remains a mystery.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 pm
Extraordinary

um... I hated this.

The first half hour or so was watchable, but when McAdams shows up and the film goes on (wtf @ Bardem's stuff) it was just really tedious to endure. Some good scenes and nice shots doesn't make up for the rest of the BS.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm
Kypade

not to be, I dunno, predictable or whatever, but I'll give you one guess to how I felt about this film.

hint:
i loved it.

seriously don't get the critical reception of this one, especially after the tree of life was so well received. this is just two hours of cut scenes from that movie pasted together in somewhat random order...and for me all of it hits.

remember the end of tree of life? if you pretend that to the wonder is these characters looking back from that beach on their lives, there's really nothing to complain about. movies don't /have/ to follow an abc structure.

I dunno...one of the best of the year in my eyes.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 pm
You must have big rats

Quote:
this is just two hours of cut scenes from that movie pasted together in somewhat random order...and for me all of it hits.

See, this is precisely the problem. "Cut scenes" that were cut for a reason.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

I dunno, I thought they were just as effective without the future and past stuff of tree of life.

if the entirety of this movie were edited into the tree of life for a five hour spiritual journey, everyone would love it. I think. I dunno, I just didn't see any decrease in quality in any way from the tree of life...a lot of this was more powerful to me.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm
You must have big rats

kypade wrote:
I dunno, I thought they were just as effective without the future and past stuff of tree of life.

if the entirety of this movie were edited into the tree of life for a five hour spiritual journey, everyone would love it. I think. I dunno, I just didn't see any decrease in quality in any way from the tree of life...a lot of this was more powerful to me.

I think The Tree of Life was walking the very very fine line of pretentious bullshit and cinematic art, while managing to stay on the right side of it for most of the time. This one didn't.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]