Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Spring Breakers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15

Spring Breakers 
loyalfromlondon

Post Spring Breakers
Spring Breakers

Quote:
Spring Breakers is a 2013 American thriller film written and directed by Harmony Korine, starring James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine and Gucci Mane. The film follows four college-aged girls who decide to rob a fast food restaurant in order to pay for their spring break.

The film was selected to compete for the Golden Lion at the 69th Venice International Film Festival.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Spring Breakers
I loved this. I read one review that described it as a "pop culture" fantasia, and that's a pretty good way of putting it. The movie I'd compare it to the most in recent memory is Drive. It thrives just as much from the visuals and perfectly placed musical cues as it does from the performances, which are all solid-to-great from the five leads. James Franco steals every scene he is in and delivers what is certain to be one of the year's most memorable performances. All four girls are good-to-great - Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson as the 'bad girls' of the group are in the film the most and are clearly enjoying breaking their teen queen stereotypes. Selena Gomez has the least amount of screentime but has a particularly effective scene near the middle of the film with Franco. Rachel Korine is also good, though one of her line deliveries made me cringe. She has a great moment near the film's climax as something that happens to her character sets the final course of events in motion. The movie definitely has a dreamlike quality to it. Lines of dialogue are often repeated in voiceover and there's a bunch of flash-forward and flashback cues kind of messing with your head and your perception of the actual timeline. It also has moments of undeniable tension, scenes that are intentionally uncomfortable, and splashes of actual sincerity amongst the craziness. This movie is definitely trying to say something about the youths of America, but never once becomes a 'message' movie despite this. It aims to entertain, and that it does. A-

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 pm
Profile YIM
Let's Call It A Bromance

Looks like thompsoncory just entered Dr. L's block list...

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I loved this. I read one review that described it as a "pop culture" fantasia, and that's a pretty good way of putting it. The movie I'd compare it to the most in recent memory is Drive. It thrives just as much from the visuals and perfectly placed musical cues as it does from the performances, which are all solid-to-great from the five leads. James Franco steals every scene he is in and delivers what is certain to be one of the year's most memorable performances. All four girls are good-to-great - Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson as the 'bad girls' of the group are in the film the most and are clearly enjoying breaking their teen queen stereotypes. Selena Gomez has the least amount of screentime but has a particularly effective scene near the middle of the film with Franco. Rachel Korine is also good, though one of her line deliveries made me cringe. She has a great moment near the film's climax as something that happens to her character sets the final course of events in motion. The movie definitely has a dreamlike quality to it. Lines of dialogue are often repeated in voiceover and there's a bunch of flash-forward and flashback cues kind of messing with your head and your perception of the actual timeline. It also has moments of undeniable tension, scenes that are intentionally uncomfortable, and splashes of actual sincerity amongst the craziness. This movie is definitely trying to say something about the youths of America, but never once becomes a 'message' movie despite this. It aims to entertain, and that it does. A-

Yeah, you sold me. Really want to see this one now.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

jmovies wrote:

I can completely understand why someone would hate it. It's definitely not for everyone and even right after seeing it I had a hard time determining if I loved it or not :P

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
jmovies wrote:

I can completely understand why someone would hate it. It's definitely not for everyone and even right after seeing it I had a hard time determining if I loved it or not :P

Do you have any idea if I would like it?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Magic Mike wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
jmovies wrote:

Yes, I think you'd like it.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:26 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

One thing I'm gonna give you (though that assessment is still ridiculous ;) ) - I cannot imagine the middle ground for this film. Ifyou love it, you really love ot. And if you don#t buy it (like me), you hate it.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

thompsoncory wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
jmovies wrote:

How about me? Seriously, I trust your opinion. :yes:

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Harry Warden wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
jmovies wrote:

How about me? Seriously, I trust your opinion. :yes:

Hard to say - if you go in with an open mind you definitely could. The trailer sells it well, but it is also very artsy and trippy. As I mentioned above, it reminded me a lot of Drive in certain ways, so if you enjoyed that film I could see you liking this one.

Last edited by thompsoncory on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

The scene that uses Britney Spears's song "Everytime" to equally hilarious and chilling effect will certainly be one of my favorite movie moments of the year.

Overall, the film actually has a pretty sad, melancholy tone surprisingly enough.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:58 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I love Drive.

This is shit.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

70% of critics don't agree with you. I'm surprised at the high percentage of positive reviews.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:12 pm
Wallflower

Harry Warden wrote:
70% of critics don't agree with you. I'm surprised at the high percentage of positive reviews.

I am too. I thought they'd be much more split.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm
100% That Bitch

Apparently Brirney is referenced in this film?

Ñim sold

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mau wrote:
Apparently Brirney is referenced in this film?

Ñim sold

Twice, actually. Both "Baby, One More Time" and "Everytime" are used in the film.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

Shows more visual chops than Korine usually brings to the table but its a silly movie and mostly pointless. The advertised social commentary here is all along the likes of My Little Pony ski masks. Super insightful.

Dramatically, it's ultimately not far removed from the likes of Reefer Madness. It's a slog to get through, man

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:09 pm
The Dark Knight

Hilarious.

Vile.

Brilliant.

Putrid.

Masterpiece.

If Terrence Malick directed Natural Born Killers, this is what it would look like.

A

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

erikdean wrote:
Hilarious.

Vile.

Brilliant.

Putrid.

Masterpiece.

If Terrence Malick directed Natural Born Killers, this is what it would look like.

A

:yes:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

SPRING BREAKERS

I watched this today to review the hype. Plus, a youtube film reviewer gave good praise too so that influenced my need to see it. Ugh. First, I have to say that sometimes a soundtrack can be too distracting and this was the case for me. The sound just was in your face the whole way through and the cocking of the gun all throughout the film was over the top. Second, I thought this movie was a bit incoherent. It seemed like it just smashed together. There really isn't much dialogue for the first half of the film. It was like just clips of dialogue with stylized visuals. Then there was that once scene where 3 lines of dialogue must have been repeated 4 different times. Over the top again. The film just was a mess and a bore for me. The whole end was preposterous and ridiculous. The theatre I saw it in was mildly full for an early afternoon showing. Just didn't do it for me.

Grade - D

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:20 pm
You must have big rats

F

I don't want to waste any more of my life on this movie, so no detailed review. I have seen lots of sucky films this year so far, but I really am not sure whether I'll see anything worse than this for the rest of the year.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I absolutely ADORED this. It is seriously so close to a perfect rating from me. I would type more but my keyboard is all fucked up :P but yeah, amazing stuff.

9/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Gucci Mane totally took me out of the movie. Idk what was up with that, everything dealing with him was awful.

It goes to pretty ridiculous places but some of them (the scene w/ Everytime in particular) are pretty fascinating. I think one of the weak points of the movie is that every girl besides Gomez was pretty disposable, and the ending w/ Hudgens and Benson doesn't really have the effect it could've had. Franco was a riot. It's a movie that roams towards brilliance and never gets there but I enjoyed myself.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:15 am
Extraordinary

... and yeah, I rewatched Drive recently and I do not see any comparisons with this at all.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 am
Forum General

publicenemy#1 wrote:
... and yeah, I rewatched Drive recently and I do not see any comparisons with this at all.

:huh:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 pm