Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stoker 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Stoker 
loyalfromlondon

Post Stoker
Stoker

Quote:
Stoker is a 2013 British-American psychological thriller directed by Park Chan-wook and written by Ted Foulke. It stars Mia Wasikowska, Matthew Goode, and Nicole Kidman. It was released on March 1, 2013. It was the last movie produced by Tony Scott, who died during production.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:31 pm
You are waiting for a train

Post Re: Stoker
A profoundly disturbing movie that really works. There's so much symbolism and beauty in every shot that it's hard not to admire Park Chan-Wook's job on this film, and harder to not be totally engrossed by it.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's expertly made, consistently surprising and brilliantly performed. Reminded me of a classic Hitchcock film mixed with Hanna, except more violent. All of the performances were great - standouts being Nicole Kidman (her monologue seen in the trailer is one of the movie's standout moments) and Matthew Goode (who is incredibly chilling here). The supporting cast is filled with classy performances from well-known character actors, but this is mostly a three-person show. It's visually pretty stunning and gorgeous to look at, and has a moody, effective score. It definitely goes in a different direction than what I was expecting from the trailer and I can honestly say more than a few moments legitimately shocked me. The final half hour or so is absolutely batshit insane and the final scene is AWESOME. Don't get anything spoiled if you can help it. This is certainly going to be one of my favorites of 2013. A

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Without seeing the movie (and I really shouldn't have gone into this thread without doing so but I wanted to see people's thoughts on it - thank god there were no spoilers), I can already say the bit of dialogue spoken by Kidman at the beginning of the trailer will be one of my favorites of the year. It's soooo good.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:45 pm
You are waiting for a train

I don't think it's style over substance, even if it's not necessarily a character-driven movie. India's arc, while not really something we're unfamiliar with, hits the 'loss of innocence' beats pretty strongly. And without the last quarter, Goode's character wouldn't be nearly as interesting either.

You're right in that the biggest story of the film is the direction. Every shot in this thing is a work of art.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
oh, and g is totally gonna love this movie and gush insanely of Mia's performance (which I will admit was good and to me her best performance of her career).

And what a long and distinguished career, it is!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is a fairly distinguished career for a 23-year-old. She has great taste in material and is definitely set to be her generation's answer to, say, Tilda Swinton or Emily Watson.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 pm
You must have big rats

I thought Mia was pretty great in Restless and the best thing about Alice in Wonderland (which overall, wasn't really good), but yeah, it's not really a long career.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It does indeed look great, though I wish Park would hold some of his painterly compositions a bit longer, instead of falling back into the classical medium shot/reverse shot for every dialogue exchange. It seems a bit over-edited.

Still, I had trouble getting past my intense dislike of Mia Whatshername as an actress. Her character here didn't seem that far removed from her severely annoying one in Restless. Perhaps she's just a naturally irritating performer.

Matthew Goode is pretty terrific, though, if a bit histrionic in the flashback scenes.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:55 pm
New Server, Same X

I couldn't believe it when I read that Michael Scofield from Prison Break wrote this movie.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 am
Extraordinary

To be honest I think Kidman gave the best performance in the movie even though there are parts where she sounds kind of off but I blame the dialogue. Goode is terrific too. As for Mia, I dunno. Didn't really feel that different from her other performances, I'll be surprised when she actually gives a performance that's drastically different than what I've seen her in.

I enjoyed the movie a lot though.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:54 am
Forum General

I really enjoyed it, even loved the majority of it but the ending left a lot to be desired, though that may just be my expectations of getting a batshit crazy finale, which this certainly wasn't. It was all fairly predictable. Still though, Goode and Kidman are fantastic and Mia is really good.

8/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

This is a well-made, artistic and precise film with great performances by Kidman and Goode. The best work of the picture goes to director Chan-wook Park; his brilliant eye and attention to detail are impressive and leave a lasting impression. The cinematography was superb and the mise-en-scene was the best that I remember seeing in a long time.

The story was typically Korean, but it was simple, which didn't matter too much because this film is not great just because of its premise, but the combination of great performances, great direction and not spoon-feeding the viewer all of the plot points is what makes Stoker a revelation and something that I enjoyed very much.

The weakest part of the movie was Mia Wasikowska. I don't believe she has any acting ability. She moved like a stale tree, delivered her lines like a monotonic computer, and she pretty much dragged the film down from the heights that Kidman and Goode had pushed it up to. But this isn't a big deal, and the cinematography and unique delivery of this simple story is the attraction here.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Predictable, but I am going to defend Mia. ;) I believe she is expertly delivering the performance the director desired. Her character lives inside herself and is a mystery. The film would not fly if she were a colorful psycho the way her two co-stars are. The pleasure of the film is the suspense generated by the idea of this quiet girl, this sensitive and troubled wallflower, seeming to be in the hands of two destructive and more powerful personalities only for it to end with her determining their fates and revealing her true malevolence.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:22 pm
now we know

I also totally understand that. She's playing that repressed teenage girl thing, but she plays that in every role, and while it worked for Stoker, I want to see something different from her. Either she has no acting ability and only chooses roles that allow her to deliver the one personality she knows how to do, or she simply has bad agents. I think the former is true.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I can't see your review, David..where is it?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jane Eyre and India Stoker are incredibly different characters. And I would say those are her two best roles to date.

And I was busy with school when this came out and never found time to write a full review, which I hoped to. But it is currently number six on my top ten of the year.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:29 pm
now we know

David wrote:
But it is currently number six on my top ten of the year.

Mine too.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

What's number one on your list at the moment?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 pm
You must have big rats

This is a good good movie.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

What's number one on your list at the moment?

Oblivion. I rate it at an "A".

And your #1 must be...Trance? I remember you had it as your signature for a long time.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes, Trance is number one, then, in order, The Great Gatsby, Byzantium, Side Effects, Stories We Tell, Stoker, The Place Beyond the Pines, Before Midnight, Redemption (Hummingbird), and Spring Breakers.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:38 pm
now we know

Hummingbird? That Statham movie? Wow. That's a must-see for me now it has such high praise from you.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is what I have wanted him to do for ages: play a tough, grim, Get Carter type role in a more atmospheric and serious movie.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
Yes, Trance is number one, then, in order, The Great Gatsby, Byzantium, Side Effects, Stories We Tell, Stoker, The Place Beyond the Pines, Before Midnight, Redemption (Hummingbird), and Spring Breakers.

My number 1 movie of the year is on that list. Take a guess?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next