Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dracula (1992) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Dracula (1992) 
College Boy Z

Post Dracula (1992)
Dracula

Quote:
Dracula (also known as Bram Stoker's Dracula) is a 1992 American horror-romance thriller co-written, produced, and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, based on the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker. It stars Gary Oldman as Count Dracula and Winona Ryder as Mina Harker, also featuring Anthony Hopkins as Professor Abraham Van Helsing, Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker, and Sadie Frost as Lucy Westenra in her first major film role. Dracula was greeted by a generally positive critical reception and was a box office hit. It also spawned a video game, a board game, a comic book adaptation, collectable cards, various action figures and model sets and various parodies. The film's score was composed by Wojciech Kilar and featured "Love Song for a Vampire" by Annie Lennox as the closing credits theme.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:38 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This film is by far the most accurate Dracula adaption ever put to film. The production values on this movie are incredible...the sets and costumes are mind blowing. Not to mention a great performance by Gary Oldman, and nice direction from Francis Ford Coppola. Overall this gets an...

A-

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

An excellent film with great performances and breathtaking scenery and cinematography.

8/10 (A-)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:49 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Great film, quite possibly the best DRACULA film ever.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

Good movie, nice Acting, definitely the Best Dracula Movie!

B+

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:42 am
Indiana Jones IV

Very good movie. The film features a FANTASTIC performance from one of the greatest and most versatile character actors around- Gary Oldman. He is just magnificient in every scene. Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins are also solid (even though I did not like the change in Van Helsing's character from the original novel- which is brilliant by the way). Keanu Reeves, however, is terrible in this movie- fucking laughable. Some portions of the film are just a little too bizarre at times as well.

The cinematography and set design is beautiful and the film features an extremely memorable, emotional score. Definitely does the classic novel justice.

Monica Belluci is in this for a scene as well and she is HAWT. :smile: ;)

B+

EDIT: I took out the adverb "literally" because I had apparently misused the word. Thanks Libs! ;) (see Biggest Grammatical Annoyance... thread)

Last edited by rolandka19 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:44 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I definitely give this movie an "A" and as far as I'm concerned, this is the DEFINITIVE Dracula adaptation... Cinemax shows this quite often..

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

i remember going to see it at the movies. it was one of the first major event holiday movies back in 1992. huge opening (at the time) but then faded quickly not even reaching $100 million.

it was one of the first movies to have THX sound quality.

the movie has tons of errors but the score, the cinematography, the story are all brilliant.

sanguis vita est!

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:37 pm
You must have big rats

This movie is hands down the best adaptation of Bram Stocker's classic literature piece. The production values are top notch. Coppola did a great job directing and assembling an amazing cast. Gary Oldman is the obvious stand-out, but Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins are also great on their own. Keanu Reeves pales in comparison to them of course, but still better than most say.

On the visual level, the movie is a masterpiece. The art direction is superb, the make-up well-done and the movie certainly has a distinct style. There is some stuff that seems a bit unrealistic at times, but I can easily look past that. The movie is really much more of a supernatural drama, than a horror movie. A great effort and one of the best vampire movies ever made. It rivals Interview with a Vampire for the best vampire drama ever and I would give this one the edge right now, even though I need to rewatch both.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Very stylistic approach from Francis Ford Coppola although it drags at times, I did wanted to see a big budget version of vampire. Gary Oldman OWNS like with every performance he has shown

B
7.8/10

Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:26 pm
loyalfromlondon

From a technical standpoint, looking at the production design, costumes, directing, etc. this film is superbly done. Oldman is a great Dracula and Hopkins is outstanding as Van Helsing. But something about the story felt off - perhaps it was a bit too long, or maybe even a bit (*gasp*) boring. And I didn't like either Ryder or Reeves, so their tragedy didn't resonate with me. Still, very well-made.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:51 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I like this movie a lot. But its not the most faithful, though it is a very great adaptation, this rivals Bela's original version. Oldman was great, but I dont think its an amazing film. Just a good. B

Coincidentally, did you know they say that Mel Brook's Dracula Dead and Loving it is the most faithful adaptaion of the original work. I like that movie a lot, and I think it spoofs this movie really well.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:21 pm
The Original

Nice visuals, set design ect...but its lacking something. Best Vampire movie (I dont like The Interview with a Vampire),. but I still wait for the Ultimate Nostefaru movie.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]