Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wreck-It Ralph 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Wreck-It Ralph 
loyalfromlondon

Post Wreck-It Ralph
Wreck-It Ralph

Quote:
Wreck-It Ralph is a 2012 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the 52nd animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. The film was directed by Rich Moore, who is known for directing many episodes of The Simpsons and Futurama, and the script was written by Jennifer Lee and Phil Johnston. Disney Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter served as the executive producer. The film features the voices of John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer, and Jane Lynch.

The film tells the story of the titular arcade game villain who rebels against his role as a villain and dreams of becoming a hero. He travels between games in the arcade, and ultimately must eliminate a dire threat that could affect the entire arcade, and one that Ralph may have inadvertently started. Wreck-It Ralph had its world premiere on October 29, 2012, and was released on November 2, 2012 in the United States and Canada.

The theatrical release was accompanied by Disney's short film Paperman.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Wreck-It Ralph
An easy contender for best animated film of the year; it's smart, funny, touching, and meaningful without being too obvious about it. The animation is great (though the 3D mostly sucks, as per usual), the script is tight, and the video game references are clever without getting out of hand. In a lot of ways, it feels like the true Pixar film this year.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:05 am

trixster wrote:
In a lot of ways, it feels like the true Pixar film this year.

Right!

However, I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie, it was fun sure, but there were a few aspects of the time I did not enjoy.

Spoiler: show
King Candy as Turbo Man, yet he still retains the characteristics of King Candy in the final battle? Felix and the Jane Lynch character get together?

But you know, Ralph was a very endearing character, and he is what made the film work. His father-daughter esque relationship with Vanelope was the forte of the film, along with, you know, all of the awesome video game shout outs.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

So, so good. Also, Sarah Silverman STOLE the movie. She was fantastic.

Also... Paperman! Holy shit. I would have paid $10 just to see THAT! Incredible.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:

Also... Paperman! Holy shit. I would have paid $10 just to see THAT! Incredible.

So this is an adult worthy animated film from what you are saying?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:46 am
Extraordinary

I really don't like Sarah Silverman but her character was alright surprisingly. (the trailer totally made that character seem unbearable)

I liked it. Although I feel like they could've done a lot more with the whole video game concept, and we spend so much time in a Candyland/Mariokart-ish game.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 am
Sbil

A clever and unabashedly sweet movie that doesn't really send up video games as much as integrate them into the plot. The voice casting is pretty great (even Sarah Silverman), and the animation itself is pretty breathtaking (the colors in Sugar Rush are so bright and pretty lol). B+

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

nghtvsn wrote:
Chippy wrote:

So this is an adult worthy animated film from what you are saying?

I'm very child like. But it was very enjoyable to me, as an adult.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:47 pm
College Boy Z

Hilarious! One of the better animated films I've seen in a while, and it doesn't hurt that it perfectly caters to video game nerds.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really funny, cute and sweet - with great voice acting across the board. The short beforehand was also beautiful. This should have excellent legs and word of mouth. A-

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 am
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

I saw the dubbed version and i really liked it, but my only complaint was the voices, just awful. They gave to Ralph a Homer Simpson-dumb/goofy type voice.

B+

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm
Forum General

I was smiling or chuckling for at least 80% of this movie. There's very little not to like. And I loved the Sarah Silverman character. Awesome!

B+, maybe an A- depending on how well it holds up on second viewing.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

This movie has grown on me. The characters are just too charming, and certain scenes are just too memorable.

A-

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 am
100% That Bitch

A

I just loved everything about it.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 pm
Extraordinary

Absolutely stock Disney storyline gussied up with a few videogame references = big waste of time.

1 out of 5.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Magnus wrote:
It lacks the subtle touch that the top-tier Pixar films have but it's certainly better than the majority of CGI flicks.

Yeah, I would say it is middle-tier Pixar, which is outstanding for a non-Pixar Disney film.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:51 pm
Forum General

Now available on DVD and Blu ray. I watched it for the second time and it definitely holds up the second time. My grade increases to an A. It's among my all time favorite animated films. Maybe not top 5, but if not, easily top 10 (and I love animated films).

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

WRECK IT RALPH

I was entertained by this film. It wasn't any that blew me away animation wise or even story wise but it was good. I thought the first half with the introduction to Ralph and the fix it guy along with all the other video game characters was really good. That was very well done. Then the sequence with Ralph and Jane Lynch's female commander action figure character was really cool, but then when he goes off into that Sugarland place it just got a bit too girly for me. Just ehh with all the cutesy girl characters. Also, I did like Silverman's character for the most part but she got annoying. Overall, I was pleased to have seen the film, but it's not something I would be compelled to buy in the future.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

“Nobody loves Goliath” – Wilt Chamberlain

For CGI films, half the battle for their success is the concept. Toy Story and Shrek were bound to be hits with their toys coming to life and fairy tale parody concepts. Wreck-It Ralph’s concept is just as great, diving behind the video game to a Bad Guy depressed about his day-job and wanting to prove himself as more.

However, Wreck-It Ralph does not have the magic of a Toy Story or Shrek. Its plot in part holds it back. The “win the big race” plot is well-treaded and generic waters and lacking tension, as Vanellope’s win is never in doubt.

There’s no standout characters like Buzz Lightyear, Donkey or Dory. I didn’t like the decision to turn Vanellope, Felix and Calhoun into animated versions of Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch respectively. Instead of fresh and unique animated characters, they felt like caricatures of those actor’s personalities and more hollow as characters. Classic animated characters like Buzz and Donkey come to life in a way these ones don’t.

Ralph is a fine lead, though halfway through the film becomes Vanellope’s, as winning the race matters to her more. Ralph somewhat becomes her muscle. His initial motivation to prove himself and journey to accepting himself, gets washed away beneath wanting to help his friend – a less interesting arc.

The climax is exciting and superbly animated. King Candy’s creepy transformation in alien form is effective. The visuals as a whole are excellent in Wreck-It Ralph. My favorite is the citizens of Fix-It Felix, moving and reacting in a chuckle-worthy lower definition way.

Wreck-It Ralph is a fine enough, entertaining film. But with its great concept and potential, a bit underwhelming. I will call it a B level animated film.

6/10

http://jrodgermoviereviews.wordpress.co ... oore-2012/

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 am
ha ha, charade you are

Finally rented and saw this movie. I thought it was great! Reminded me of all the games I used to play when I was a kid.

A-

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 am
Us v Them

i don't know why people are hyping this as the best animated film of last year - i thought there were many things that didn't work..

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 am
You must have big rats

Groaning wrote:
i don't know why people are hyping this as the best animated film of last year - i thought there were many things that didn't work..

I agree. But did you still like it?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Very very enjoyable. I was surprised actually how little of this world was explored as we really only dive into a couple games, but then again that can be seen as a positive sign as the film didn't dive itself into only referencing other video games the whole time. There is definitely comedic lines that will cater to adults and those that will cater mostly to just kids (Hero's Duty being one) but they all work. The animation is just as beautiful as a Pixar film and I felt the third act was very touching like a Pixar film would be third act. Will be great to re-visit these characters in the eventual sequel.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is alright, I suppose. But I really wasn't entertained all that much. It just creates a world and has characters travel through it, much like Inside Out, Bee Movie, Monsters, Inc., and a lot of other animated films. But as someone who isn't a big game player, I did not find the world all that charming or nostalgic. There were a few glimpses of characters from Pac-Man and Street Fighter, which was ok I guess, but most of the main surroundings were lost on me. Sugar Rush is, I guess, meant to resemble Candy Crush? Fix-It Felix, Jr. is meant to resemble Donkey Kong? and Hero's Duty is meant to resemble a Gears of War-style game? Three games that I did not play, even as a child, so it oddly missed a lot of references for me to be charmed by. Above all, the story just isn't very exciting, and John C. Reilly is not a person's voice who I generally like to listen to. I do like it when animated films use voices that I cannot place, which was the case with the rest of the characters, but his being the main one irked me.

I would describe Wreck-It Ralph as a pleasant but unfortunately cookie-cutter animated film. There are so many better animated films out there.

C

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

One of Disney’s best non musical films. I like the relationship between Ralph and Vanellope. The secret villain twist was also fresh at the point this came out too. The racing sequences are great fun. The part where Ralph breaks her car makes me cry.

A

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next