Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Jin líng shí san chai [The Flowers of War] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Jin líng shí san chai [The Flowers of War] 
loyalfromlondon

Post Jin líng shí san chai [The Flowers of War]
The Flowers of War

Quote:
The Flowers of War (simplified Chinese: 金陵十三钗; traditional Chinese: 金陵十三釵; pinyin: Jīnlíng Shísān Chāi), previously titled Nanjing Heroes and 13 Flowers of Nanjing, is a 2011 Chinese historical drama war film directed by Zhang Yimou, starring Christian Bale, Ni Ni, Zhang Xinyi, Tong Dawei, Atsuro Watabe, Shigeo Kobayashi and Cao Kefan. It is set in 1937, Nanjing, China, during the "Rape of Nanjing", at the time of the Second Sino-Japanese War. A group of escapees, finding sanctuary in a church compound, try to survive the plight and persecution brought on by the violent invasion of the city.

The film is based on the novel 13 Flowers of Nanjing, by Geling Yan.

It was selected as the Chinese entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards, but did not make the final shortlist. It also received a nomination for the 69th Golden Globe Awards. The 6th Asian Film Awards presented The Flowers of War with several individual nominations, including Best Film.

On November 7, 2011, it was announced that the film's North American distribution rights were acquired by Wrekin Hill Entertainment, in association with Row 1 Productions, leaving The Flowers of War to a limited release in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco for late December, 2011, and expanding into the following year. Limited release for Washington, D.C., Hawaii, and Virginia commenced on January 20, 2012.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:42 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Jin líng shí san chai [The Flowers of War]
Wow, this is awful. In many respects, it reminds me of Australia: it is clear Zhang Yimou (Hero) was expected to deliver an moving and spectacular international epic, a film for every audience and season, when hired to direct this lavish (and state-financed) China set World War II film. The end result is a strange beast with several heads and no heart. Zhang is a capable, at times top-notch director, but he lost control here. The film feels art directed within an inch of its life and is far too beholden to ideology and sentimentality.

Poor Christian Bale delivers what may be the worst performance of his career. He plays an enormous contrivance of a role: a hard-living, womanizing mortician caught in eastern China when war erupts who finds himself hiding among children and prostitutes in a church encircled by Japanese soldiers. He, of course, undergoes a spiritual transformation and becomes a grim, reluctant savior. The role is broad, and Bale never finds the right way to play it, opting for an almost comic style. The other characters are one-note, the most grating being the over-the-top vixen prostitute chorus. Again, broad; for a film depicting a notorious battle turned massacre, The Flowers of War tries very hard for laughs.

The film is a shade too patriotic. The last Chinese soldiers are portrayed in a manner almost religious, with the narrator reminding us more than once they could change into civilian clothing and flee, but, no, they fight on. It is so calculated, it ceases to be inspiring or touching. And the film's violence is absurd, with slow-motion bullets cutting through computer-generated flesh, followed by geysers of beautiful and choreographed blood.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:03 am
loyalfromlondon

I dunno, I liked it, although it does suffer from "heroic white man" syndrome.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am
Extraordinary

I'd recommend City of Life and Death for a more realistic depiction of the event.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

City of Life & Death is a very good movie. I haven't seen this one yet, I seem to be in the UK when it was on release in China and in China when it was on release in the UK, so I've missed it. Want to see it, though, because I really like Christian Bale.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I thought it was a wonderful, very touching movie with some pretty disturbing scenes.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Christian Bale carries the film and Ni Ni is excellent too in her first role. But the film suffers a bit from overt patriotisms on the Chinese soldiers part at the beginning of the film, as well as there being some acting that feels unappealing in a childish way. When looking past those things though, it has some gripping scenes and Yimou succeeds in making the film look good and bring some emotional heft at times as well.

B-

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]