Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Take This Waltz 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Take This Waltz 
loyalfromlondon

Post Take This Waltz
Take This Waltz

Quote:
Take This Waltz is a 2011 Canadian comedy-drama film. The film centers around Margot, a 28 year old freelance writer who lives in a charming house on a leafy street in the Little Portugal section of Toronto, as she struggles with and examines her feelings for Lou, her husband of five years, while exploring a new relationship with Daniel, an artist and rickshaw driver who lives across the street.

This is the second full length film directed by Sarah Polley. The cast includes Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Sarah Silverman, and Luke Kirby.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:00 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Take This Waltz
Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen were both great in this - especially the former (as usual). It was impossibly slow though and I wasn't a huge fan of Luke Kirby's performance. At times it felt almost too quirky for its own good. I did like it quite a bit more than Sarah Polley's last film though, so it's a step in the right direction. B

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

When I'm really anticipating a movie sometimes I'll have a dream about it where I see it and I end up really disappointed. But in my dream the movie is so absurd that it wouldn't be possible for the actual movie to be like that. It might sound crazy, but after watching "Take This Waltz" I feel like I've just had one of those dreams. There are some scenes in the film I really liked, but too many times throughout I kept thinking how unrealistic and bizarre some of the dialogue was, and I was also fairly convinced the character of Margot (Michelle Williams) was mentally challenged to an extent. I found out I wasn't alone in thinking this when towards the end one of the people I was watching it with genuinely asked, "Is this character supposed to be retarded?" The character of Margot is so aloof and odd and really unlike any real person I've ever met. It's hard to make me not even remotely sympathize with someone played by the lovely and talented Williams but this character never felt real to me, and neither did the movie. Despite this I still liked this movie most of the time. It is slow-paced, but I was never bored. I actually found it pretty interesting. I also loved its use of colors. But in the end it goes so far off the tracks that I was honestly hoping everything in the finale was just a dream sequence. I was kind of convinced it was for a while because it felt so ridiculous and untrue. As a fan of Sarah Polley's first feature, "Away From Her," I really expected more from this. Especially with the talent involved. But "Take This Waltz" never rang true for me.

Should easily go down as one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me.

5/10 (C-)

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:07 am
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
It was impossibly slow though and I wasn't a huge fan of Luke Kirby's performance.

I thought he was good. Very charming. Made it easy to see how Margot would be tempted by him.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 am
Pure Phase

Lasting two hours, it's too long, and the dialogue can be too on the nose and stylized ("I'm afraid of connections"), but the performances are fantastic. Michelle Williams infuses a character who could have registered as one-note and unsympathetic with such intense life and nuance. Behind the camera, Sarah Polley shows a new side of her directorial self, emerging a confident and whimsical stylist. The colors and details of each environment are astounding and even magical, yet also feel authentic and lived-in. This gives the picture an unusual, but potent wistful quality reminiscent of the films of Wong Kar-wai and Wes Anderson. She crafts several stone cold perfect sequences, several of them conveying a great deal without dialogue, which is always admirable. (Also, rarely has a song been used more perfectly than "Video Killed the Radio Star" is here, twice.)

It's a curious and moving film. It is so alive, and even its flaws seem derived from Polley's outsize ambition and heart rather than any overt failure of craft or inspiration, so it is tempting to forgive them.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 am
loyalfromlondon

I'm sure I would've liked this a lot more had it not been Michelle Williams as the lead. I find it hard to believe that even one of these guys would've fallen for her, let alone both. And the dialogue here, as David mentioned, is terribly on-the-nose.

But Polley is an impressive director and I'm excited to see more of her work. I just feel like this could've been so much more.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 am
Wallflower

Michelle Williams is hardly unattractive. Though she's looked so much better than she does in this movie.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:31 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

The film was alright up until the last 10-15 minutes where it loses a bit of itself and just becomes decent. The whole addiction storyline with Geraldine trying to be prominent at the end doesn't work and Polley tries so hard to have us sympathize with Margo when there is no reason to. I felt that Rogen was the strongest here though and I still feel he has the chops to continue doing characters such as his with a good mix of comedic and dramatic dialogue.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm at a loss of words. Seriously, this was the dumbest movie I have seen in quite awhile and that is saying something. :p It was so obvious and it tried to be different and quirky/funny (seriously... He makes a chicken cookbook? Please...) but it just falls flat on it's face. The script is ridiculous too. The dialogue was just so bad. Michelle Williams wasn't even very good in it, but it's not her fault. What a fucking idiot of a character. I will not believe anybody would want to be with her. I agree with Mike when he said he thinks she was retarded. ;) What a fucking bizarre movie. One of the worst movies of 2012. I will say though, Sarah Silverman wasn't bad. Her plot was completely obvious, but she did well. Rogan was decent too but good fucking lord. Awful movie, which sucks because it wasn't TERRIBLE in the beginning but it just got more and more unbearable as it went on.

4/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
I'm at a loss of words. Seriously, this was the dumbest movie I have seen in quite awhile and that is saying something. :p It was so obvious and it tried to be different and quirky/funny (seriously... He makes a chicken cookbook? Please...) but it just falls flat on it's face. The script is ridiculous too. The dialogue was just so bad. Michelle Williams wasn't even very good in it, but it's not her fault. What a fucking idiot of a character. I will not believe anybody would want to be with her. I agree with Mike when he said he thinks she was retarded. ;) What a fucking bizarre movie. One of the worst movies of 2012. I will say though, Sarah Silverman wasn't bad. Her plot was completely obvious, but she did well. Rogan was decent too but good fucking lord. Awful movie, which sucks because it wasn't TERRIBLE in the beginning but it just got more and more unbearable as it went on.

4/10

I am so glad you hated it. It might be the strangest movie I saw last year. I too didn't mind it at first, but it got more unbearable and stupid as it went along. Michelle Williams has never been more unappealing. Yes it's mostly her character, but I didn't think her performance was anything special either. It was almost hard to look at her the same after this movie :P. It was the most disappointing movie of last year and yes, one of the worst, IMO. It's insufferable.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:37 am
Forum General

When Williams was running I was hoping she'd get plowed over by a bus or something and that is how the movie would end. :P I couldn't think of a better way for the movie to end, personally. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Last edited by movies35 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

The film was incredibly bad.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Seriously. The more I think about it, the more I'm shocked I made it through the whole thing. I just can't believe how bad it was. :P It looked SO GOOD and the cast and director is wonderful.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
---------

Pssh, this was great. Michelle Williams surprisingly felt real to me, along with her relationships. It starts off very slow, but really picks up about 30 minutes in. I really love the ending as her relationship with Luke Kirby ended up mirroring pretty much what she had with Rogen.

Rogen is pretty great in this too.

A-

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:50 pm
Pure Phase

I enjoyed this film in theatres, and it has only grown in my estimation upon repeat viewings on Blu-ray. A real gem in its own strange way and very moving. Coupled with the stone cold perfect duo of Away from Her and Stories We Tell, Sarah Polley as director is on a near perfect roll.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:55 pm
Wallflower

Don't remind me of this awful movie ;). I hope nobody at my store rents it for a year so we can transfer it for sale and get rid of it :P. I feel sorry for anyone who rents it.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 am
You must have big rats

Yeah, I tried rewatching - it's an insufferable pile of shit.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]