Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Piranha 3DD 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7

Piranha 3DD 
loyalfromlondon

Post Piranha 3DD
Piranha 3DD

Quote:
Piranha 3DD is a 2012 horror-comedy film and sequel to the 2010 film Piranha 3D. It is directed by John Gulager from a screenplay by Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton. It stars Danielle Panabaker, Matt Bush, David Koechner, Chris Zylka, Katrina Bowden, Gary Busey, Christopher Lloyd, and David Hasselhoff. Production began on April 27, 2011 with a release scheduled for November 23, 2011, but a month prior to release this date was revised to an unspecified 2012 date. The film was eventually released in the UK on May 11, 2012, and is scheduled for U.S. release on June 1, 2012.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu May 31, 2012 4:00 pm
Deshi Basara

Post Re: Piranha 3DD
Am curious if people here like it a lot better than the RT critics. Considering a decent drive to go see it...

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Thu May 31, 2012 4:29 pm
Deshi Basara

I made a field trip to go see it. On the plus side, I got to go to a neat theater I've never been to. The film was playing in a massive, beautiful theater with about 700 seats. There were two patrons in the entire theater. I saw it at 10 pm, and I was told I was the 8th person to buy a ticket the whole day - ouch. This was incredibly bizarre to me. I felt very sorry for the theater, but the 3D was beyond awful - not sure if it were the screen or the movie - probably a bit of both. Was dark and often blurry.

Film was garbage - really disappointing on every level (the first one had the perfect tone and did everything better including t&a). Trailer had literally everything good in the movie in it. Best line in the movie was the very last line after the credits rolled. Cristopher Lloyd was literally the only good thing in the film. Ving's role was remarkably stupid, and even worse was Hasselhoff's - who the director apparently though was the most awesome and funny thing ever, but was dead wrong.

I could go on and on, but don't feel like it. It was a cobbled mess that had no place in theaters, and isn't worth paying money for on VOD either. The extra D in the title is really for the grade it receives, which is generous. Ah what could have been.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:03 pm
You must have big rats

That's sad.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

My expectations were so incredibly low for this sequel that it really didn't end up being as bad as I thought it would be. It is a little too over-the-top for my taste and lacks any real suspense outside of the scene where Danielle Panabaker and Katrina Bowden are attacked on the dock, but it could have been so much worse. I also thought the actual massacre was too short. The first definitely had its over-the-top scenes but was also suspenseful in equal measure. It knew exactly what it was and delivered. This one still has the blood, sex, boobs, etc... but doesn't feel as clever or self-aware. It's more cheap and just too goofy at times. It's also way too short. Some sort of character development would have been nice.

I'm still disappointed they hired the filmmakers behind the "Feast" series for this one. I hate director John Gulager. It's a real shame Alexandre Aja didn't return to do this sequel. If he wasn't going to they could have at least gotten someone with talent. I would be game for a third (and I will not at all be surprised to see a Direct-to-DVD sequel released in the future) as long as they don't bring John Gulager back.

All in all, despite its flaws I enjoyed this enough, but do feel it's a missed opportunity. I probably would have enjoyed it more if the first hadn't already done it better.

On a side note, I've always really liked Danielle Panabaker and hope she continues to get work. She was one of the highlights of this movie.

6/10 (C+)

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm
Extraordinary

I saw it, but it's not worth talking about.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=748

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 am
New Server, Same X

Piranha was no Casablanca, but my god it was fun. Too bad 3DD is a wreck.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:16 am
Pure Phase

I honestly still can't get over what a dire, boring piece of shit this movie is.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 am
Superman: The Movie

I liked Ving Rhames and Paul Scheer. That was about it. Any sense of joy that was in the first one is completely sucked out of this one. And one attempt at a scare would've been nice.

½* (D-)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

I liked it, it's not as bad as people say, or maybe it's just the lowe expectations that led me to like it.

But no, this isnt nowhere near the amazingness of the first one.

B

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:10 am
loyalfromlondon

Yeah, it's awful. And actually has less tits & gore than the first one. So much for upping the ante.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 am
now we know

All involved should be thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed, but none more than David Hasselhoff.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:26 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Piranha 3D was crazy fun. This one wasn't. It had a couple of fun moments and some nice ideas, but overall it's a real mess.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:57 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

C

The first film was terrific trashy fun. The second is just trash, but with a large group of friends and a lot of beer, I believe it is fun too (this is the constellation in which I saw it). It looks much cheaper and there is no inspired director like Alexandra Aja behind the wheel, but there is still blood 'n' gore and nudity galore, though it feels more than anything like American Pie with piranhas in it. Katrina Bowden looks so damn fine.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

After the good first film this is a chore to sit through. No reason for its existence and some decent actors are wasted in here. The stand out scene is where the Piranha comes out from the vagina and chomps the penis like wtf LOL.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]