Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Dazed and Confused 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Dazed and Confused 
Extraordinary

Post Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Dazed and Confused is a 1993 coming of age comedy film written and directed by Richard Linklater. The film's large ensemble cast featured a number of future stars, including Matthew McConaughey, Jason London, Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich, Cole Hauser, Parker Posey, Anthony Rapp, Adam Goldberg, Joey Lauren Adams, Nicky Katt, and Rory Cochrane. The film depicts a group of teenagers during the last day of school in 1976.

The film grossed less than $8 million at the U.S. box office, but in recent years has achieved cult film status. Quentin Tarantino included it on his list of the 10 greatest films of all time in the 2002 Sight and Sound. It also ranked third on Entertainment Weekly magazine's list of the 50 Best High School Movies. The magazine also ranked it 10th on their "Funniest Movies of the Past 25 Years" list.

The title of the film is derived from the Jake Holmes song of the same name, popularized by Led Zeppelin. Linklater approached surviving members of the band for permission to use their songs in the film, but, while Jimmy Page agreed, Robert Plant refused.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

A+, one of my favorite movies of all time. It's amazing how even though the film takes place in the 70s it's still so wildly identifiable. One of my three favorite movies about high school ever no question, I can watch this one non-stop and it doesn't get old.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:18 am
Killing With Kindness

A+

one awesome film :cool:

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:27 am
Profile WWW
rustiphica

Odd how I just bought the flashback edition on dvd and this shows up... Hmmm. Makes you wonder if zingaling is spying on rusty!

But this movie rules. No question about it. It's easily in my top 5 movies of it's genre (stoner rock highschool movies).

A+

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:41 pm
All Star Poster

A+

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:42 am
Where will you be?

My Favorite teen film of all time.

A+

Amen, though I'd go so far as to say it's one of my personal favorites ever as well. Not nessecarily the best made movie, but just one of my very favorites. It absolutely nails high school, even though it takes place 30 years ago.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:56 am
Top Poster

Was actually contemplating a blind buy of this earlier today (it's only $3.99 at Best Buy and Circuit City this week!) but decided against it due to being disappointed by several of Linklater's other movies. Will still see it soon via a free rental..

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's good, but no classic for me. I can identify with it, but it just seemed like the regular teenage party flick. Below Fast Times.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:55 am
loyalfromlondon

Supremely entertaining. Though perhaps not as well-made as American Graffiti, the obvious comparison, it's a lot more fun and certainly a lot funnier. Some of the characters get shafted a bit (Milla Jovovich - does she even speak? - and Joey Lauren Adams come to mind) and the freshman kids are incredibly annoying - especially the lead - but most of them are instantly likeable and just as developed. The story is pretty much non-existent, but this is all about the characters. Right up there with Ferris Bueller as one of my favourite teen films.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:54 pm
Aspiring Director

Matthew McConaughey's finest role, imho of course.

Classic Parker Posey as well.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Dazed & Confused
Classic, instant classic. One of my all time favorites and it gets better as I get older.
Definate A+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:10 am

Post Re:
MovieDude wrote:
A+, one of my favorite movies of all time. It's amazing how even though the film takes place in the 70s it's still so wildly identifiable. One of my three favorite movies about high school ever no question, I can watch this one non-stop and it doesn't get old.

What are the other two?

I thought it nailed high school cliches, but not the actual experience. It identifies the clicks and does a respectable job of deconstructing the expectations it at first meets. This immediately puts it leagues above something like The Breakfast Club which so desperately and empathically attempts to do so it literally hurt to watch. There were some obnoxious pieces of banality throughout but for the most part it has humor, heart, and warmth. A fun little flick if not deserving the acclaim and accolades it has received.

I think it's relatively mature attitude towards drugs and alcohol was quite pleasant, as were the surprisingly balanced characters. They maintained a humanistic mix of characteristics that felt possible, not unbelievably forced (ala breakfast club.) I'd watch it again but was hardly left drooling. One complaint is the movie had about 6 endpoints, so many montages concluded with what felt like the denouncement only to keep going. Then again, high school did often feel like that so perhaps it was intentional.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Post Re: Dazed & Confused
I think it's a great film.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: Re:
Michael A wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

What are the other two?

I thought it nailed high school cliches, but not the actual experience. It identifies the clicks and does a respectable job of deconstructing the expectations it at first meets. This immediately puts it leagues above something like The Breakfast Club which so desperately and empathically attempts to do so it literally hurt to watch. There were some obnoxious pieces of banality throughout but for the most part it has humor, heart, and warmth. A fun little flick if not deserving the acclaim and accolades it has received.

I think it's relatively mature attitude towards drugs and alcohol was quite pleasant, as were the surprisingly balanced characters. They maintained a humanistic mix of characteristics that felt possible, not unbelievably forced (ala breakfast club.) I'd watch it again but was hardly left drooling. One complaint is the movie had about 6 endpoints, so many montages concluded with what felt like the denouncement only to keep going. Then again, high school did often feel like that so perhaps it was intentional.

Do you mean dénouement?

I don't mean to pick a fight, but if you are going to continue to review movies, you need to develop a less stilted writing style or I will be forced to skip your reviews. It is already slim-pickings here as far as reviewers who are interesting to read and who review somewhat regularly.

Argos, who is a better writer of English than 95% of college graduates in the English speaking world. He doesn't even bother to post detailed reviews because there is no one here to challenge him.

Trixster because he knows what he is talking about and keeps his thoughts brief.

Makeshift/Yoshue (whatever his name is now, I refuse to go and look) and maybe two or three others.

And Magnus because he can give both a humorous or in-depth review.

I do not want to place you, Michael A, in the category of TheGun, Mike, Gunslinger, Viperman (whatever the fuck his name is), and the 3-4 others who post lots of reviews which I never bother to read. I would also put my name in this category, but at least I (for reviews) keep it brief and rarely post.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Dazed and Confused
Seriously! At least I proofread my banal, stiff reviews!

;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm
Sbil

Poor Gunslinger. Haters gonna hate.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 am

Caius wrote:
Michael A wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

What are the other two?

Do you mean dénouement?

I don't mean to pick a fight, but if you are going to continue to review movies, you need to develop a less stilted writing style or I will be forced to skip your reviews. It is already slim-pickings here as far as reviewers who are interesting to read and who review somewhat regularly.

Argos, who is a better writer of English than 95% of college graduates in the English speaking world. He doesn't even bother to post detailed reviews because there is no one here to challenge him.

Trixster because he knows what he is talking about and keeps his thoughts brief.

Makeshift/Yoshue (whatever his name is now, I refuse to go and look) and maybe two or three others.

And Magnus because he can give both a humorous or in-depth review.

I do not want to place you, Michael A, in the category of TheGun, Mike, Gunslinger, Viperman (whatever the fuck his name is), and the 3-4 others who post lots of reviews which I never bother to read. I would also put my name in this category, but at least I (for reviews) keep it brief and rarely post.

Any suggestions on how I should change it?
Also, libs should definitely be on the second list.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 am
Sbil

Michael A wrote:

:nope:

I'm not trying for world-class, overly analytical reviews. Don't read them if they're not faux-snobby enough for you.

Last edited by Libs on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 am

Gunslinger wrote:
Seriously! At least I proofread my banal, stiff reviews!

;)

You write articles for the main site that are meant to be full reviews. I write little blurbs and trains of thought on specific aspects of the movie. I don't mean to or try to be a real, legitimate critic in any way, so I don't care about organization or proof-reading or anything like that.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 am

Libs wrote:
Michael A wrote:

:nope:

Not that I dislike you. You're one of the more enjoyable and down to earth people on the site. I just don't like your reviews. Jmovies and thompsoncory also belong there.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Michael A wrote:
Any suggestions on how I should change it?

She is and you are not. Not because she is a bad writer, just that she has nothing to say--like most people. You are in the middle ground with potential to go into the first category if it wasn't so obvious you were trying to get into said category.

The best suggestion I can give is to read a lot and read a variety of things. I do not necessary mean film criticism, although that may help your technique, I mean read lots of books. Read King Lear, read Dostoevsky (at least for the themes, since I assume you cannot read Russian), read Ken Kesey, read Strunk and White for stylistic tips and then experiment with your own. Find good writers, read some of their work, and maybe mix-and-match their styles until you find your own voice.

Sometimes writing that is spare conveys more meaning than writing that is dense and filled with long words. These are perhaps some of the most meaningful and important lines in the Western Cannon, if not necessarily the most well-known:

And my poor fool is hang'd! No, no, no life!
Why should a dog, a horse, a rat, have life,
And thou no breath at all? Thou'lt come no more,
Never, never, never, never, never!

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I think saying I have nothing to say is kind of rude, and true to this website, hilariously pretentious? I never made the pretense that I was some awesome reviewer but I think a lot of people have enjoyed my thoughts on films over the years.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:43 am
Cream of the Crop

ok

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:13 am
Profile ICQ

Interesting reading all of the old posts on this film. What happened to Michael A?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]