Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mirror Mirror 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Mirror Mirror 
You must have big rats

Post Mirror Mirror
Mirror Mirror

Quote:
Mirror Mirror is a comedy fantasy film based on ‘’Snow White’’ by the Brothers Grimm. It is directed by Tarsem Singh and stars Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, Armie Hammer, Nathan Lane, and Sean Bean.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Mirror Mirror (2012)
B

Quote:
Having two competing projects about similar topics seem to be a popular, albeit somewhat silly thing in Hollywood. Silly because at the end, in the best case scenario one film usually suffers form it, sometimes even both, confusing the audiences. Examples for this phenomenon are aplenty, starting with the two volcano movies of 1997 – Dante’s Peak and Volcano. Just a year later we have been presented with two movies about an asteroid headed towards the Earth -Michael Bay’s effects extravaganza Armageddon and the more sombre vision, Deep Impact. Two years later, Hollywood wanted to take as to Mars with Mission to Mars and Red Planet – both failed to launch. It is not uncommon outside of blockbuster pictures either with 2005/2006 giving as two movies about Truman Capote. One, Capote, became a critical sensation and won the Best Actor award for Phillip Seymour Hoffman, whereas the other, Infamous, was greeted with mostly warm reviews as well, but went largely unnoticed. Sometimes one studio bails out at development stage (usually a smart decision for everyone involved), but more often than necessary none is willing to let go of the project.

Last year Hollywood decided that the audiences are in a dire need for a revamped Snow White-themed film. A random topic for two studios to develop at the same time, you might think. The explanation is simple and very well financially reasoned. In 2009, Tim Burton’s take on the classic Alice in Wonderland tale (riding the 3D coattails of Avatar) crushed the March opening weekend record and went on to become a $1 billion worldwide hit. The conclusion is simple – more fairy tales adapted for modern audiences means more money for the studios. Universal and Relativity announced their intention to film the old tale closely to each other, however using a different atmosphere for their movies. Universal’s Snow White and The Huntsman, to be released later this year and starring Kristen Stewart as Snow White and Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen is a dark fantasy action affair with a more epic scale. Relativity’s Mirror Mirror, on the other hand, is a straight-up fairy tale adaptation that emphasizes the comedic aspect of the story. Already the footage seen in the trailers for both films shows vast differences on tone. That might actually allow for both films to succeed on their own, even though audiences will rightfully be confused about why exactly there are two movies about Snow White this year.

The first film of the two to be released is Tarsem’s Mirror Mirror. The lot treads very familiar paths. In a magical land far far away, a beautiful daughter, called Snow White is born to the king and queen. After the queen’s death, the kind king (Sean Bean) is enchanted by the evil Queen (Julia Roberts) and is ultimately sent off on a quest he never returns from. The Queen assumes the throne, ruthlessly taxing her peasants into utter poverty. Her stepdaughter Snow White (Lily Collins) has no idea of the suffering in the kingdom until she sneaks out of the castle one day. Meanwhile, the Queen is trying to court and marry the charming and handsome prince Alcott (Armie Hammer) as a marriage would give her a fortune again. With Alcott having fallen for Snow White, the Evil Queen has her stepdaughter exiled from the castle. In the woods, Snow White joins forces with seven bandit dwarves and decides to fight back and reclaim her birthright.

To bring Snow White’s fairy tale world to life, Relativity couldn’t have hired a much better director than Tarsem Singh. While his filmography (that includes The Cell, The Fall and last year’s bloody fantasy epic Immortals) is a mixed bag, there is one thing that all of his films have in common – a great eye for the visuals. The former music videos director brings his sense of incredibly lush sets and costumes to Mirror Mirror as well. In particular Tarsem’s regular Eiko Ishioka who has won a Costume Design Oscar for Bram Stoker’s Dracula never fails to impress with the lush and decadent costumes which already make the film an early contender for an Academy Award in that category. The dresses that Julia Roberts gets to showcase throughout the film are some of the craziest and most imaginative that have graced the big screen in a while.

However, while Tarsem can definitely score with the film’s opulent visuals, same cannot be said for the movie in its entirety. Frankly, it is a mixed bag. It’s interesting to compare it to Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. Burton’s film was also pretty to look at, had a strong actress for the part of Alice, but was ultimately a soulless exercise in eye candy. Tarsem’s Mirror Mirror never tries to go for the same Chronicles of Narnia vibe that Burton’s film did towards its end, keeping the scope rather small. It is more humorous and overall more fun, but the greatest contrast between the two is that Snow White’s heroine is so extremely bland that you can’t help, but root for the Evil Queen from time to time. Lily Collins has showcased her acting abilities (or the lack thereof) in last year’s Taylor Lautner vehicle Abduction and Mirror Mirror confirms the suspicion. She looks the part, no doubt, but she’s just a cardboard figure that can never be taken seriously. Julia Roberts, on the other hand, is one of the film’s highlights. It was a wise move to cast America’s Sweetheart in the role of a villain. She plays the part with gleeful mischief and makes the viewer wonder why she hasn’t been cast against type earlier in her career. After her stints in a bore like Eat Pray Love or the calculated soulless box-office machine Valentine’s Day, her Evil Queen role might just be the best thing she has done since her Oscar-winning part in Erin Brockovich. Unfortunately, the film around her just isn’t as good as she and her costumes.

Armie Hammer continues to deliver on the promise of versatility that he has first shown in The Social Network, this time showing some good comic timing but he’s ultimately not given much to do. Nathan Lane’s faithful servant to the Queen delivers a couple of laughs, whereas Sean Bean is painfully underutilized. Robert Emms as Prince Alcott’s sidekick scores great laughs too, but unfortunately completely disappears in the first part of the movie. The actors playing the seven dwarves are quite decent in their parts as well. The film still suffers from Lily Collins simply not delivering an engaging protagonist as Snow White. Maybe this was obvious to the filmmaker’s as well as the film’s focus is every single bit as much on Roberts as it is on Collins.

Overall, Mirror Mirror is an entertaining romp with a whole lot of self-referential humor that seems lifted directly from Shrek. Occasionally, it does work well, but with Shrek being the eternal template for fairy tale referential humor and pop culture jokes, the whole thing seems repetitive in a way. It tries really hard to put a new spin on the old tale, while still remaining in the fairy tale world we all know and love. This balance is more often off than it is not. Paying respects to Tarsem’s heritage, Mirror Mirror’s structure also plays like a Bollywood musical, complete with a love story, some drama, a happy ending and even a catchy song ‘n dance number over the end credits (which is actually surprisingly fitting in the context). The film is not as empty as Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, but despite great imagery it is also never truly enchanting as a fairy tale should be.

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=675

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Mirror Mirror
I am mildly excited to see this. The trailer was mediocre but it could be fun and Julia Roberts looks to be having the time of her life.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Mirror Mirror...

MMmmm!!!!!

MM out of V.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm
Extraordinary

Heh - - check out Dr.Lecter's soulless review above - - I don't think he saw the same movie I did. As a matter of fact, I don't think he actually sees movies at all, but rather watches his own analysis of them. :wacko:

Mirror Mirror is bursting with charm, humor is applied judiciously, and there is a very dark streak running throughout (starting with the deliciously creepy opening backstory animation). The three leads are all good and the dwarves are unusually well written and acted characters. Tarsem Singh Dhandwar is a true artist of film and brings an ocean's depth of joy to this film. Mirror Mirror is a treasure - - easily one of the best movies in ages.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 pm
You must have big rats

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Bla bla bla

:yes:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was actually a really cute and sweet family film. I thought Julia Roberts in particular was great and is clearly having a lot of fun here. Lily Collins wasn't great but it wasn't hugely distracting or anything. It's also visually gorgeous in terms of the production and costume design. My grade actually would have been higher were it not for the awful musical number at the end. But still, a really pleasant surprise. B+

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Mirror Mirror

I was pretty bored and wanting to watch a movie that was relatively recent, so I chose this. Mirror Mirror is a true fairytale, one that little girls dream of, and it's quite amazing, I imagine, for that demograph. It was fun, but nothing more, well, it was funny in parts. I totally appreciated the fairytale element of this and what they were trying to achieve with that, and it worked, it totally did, but the marketing didn't reflect that. Instead they went for the sole shot of Julia Roberts, which kind of doesn't tell us anything about the feature at all. Before watching this I thought it was set in New York City as a modern take on Snow White. Little did I know that it was set in a snowy Winter wonderland where magic and dwarves reek havoc. If I, and the general movie-going public, had known that from the poster, I just think it would have made more money. The reason I'm interested in this movies' success is because there was another Snow White movie this year too that was much more successful, and quite frankly it shouldn't have been because that one is all effects and hooplah like an action movie, whereas this one is fairytale and innocence like a children's adventure should be.

Julia Roberts was great. She had some great lines, sarcastic little comments about everyone in the villages not working but dancing and singing all day long. Made me laugh. Nathan Lane was pretty great too. I have missed Nathan Lane, he is a great comedic actor, but I haven't seen him since Mouse Hunt. The dwarves were also ok, sometimes funny, but mainly annoying. But that wasn't a big deal, the main annoyance was Snow White herself and her prince charming, The Prince of Catalonia (or somewhere that sounded Spanish). She was so characterless, and he was just an annoying knob. Why is it that the good guys and gals in movies are mostly so boring? That's why I love the anti-hero. That is a creation that I absolutely adore, and the darker the better. I understand that the good guys and gals in a film like this have to be whiter than white because of the target audience, so that's acceptable to a degree, which is why I will not be too harsh on this movie.

I actually liked the Bollywood credits scene. I loved the song, it was sweet and I was really getting into it. Perhaps the best part of the final third for me was that song! No wonder there's a Bollywood number at the end when you notice who the director is. The effects were good, especially on Julia Roberts' face when she got old. Oh, and Sean Bean is in this too, which was very odd to see. The main thing is that the humour is crisp but infrequent, and in the gaps there isn't enough to hold the attention of a 27 year-old male.

I actually enjoyed this more than The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers yet I'm having a hard time giving it a higher grade than them because this is such a girly movie. Oh fuck it, here it is...

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I wasn't a big fan of this. Nothing memorable or exciting happens and I thought the movie look surprisingly cheap. So both Snow White movies fell flat for me this year.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

6/10 (B-)

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 am
Extraordinary

I thought this was trash.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's harmless, light entertainment that works. This is also vastly superior to the horror that was SWATH.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]