Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Friends with Kids 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Friends with Kids 
loyalfromlondon

Post Friends with Kids
Friends with Kids

Quote:
Friends with Kids is an independent American ensemble comedy that is written, produced, directed by and also starring Jennifer Westfeldt. Her partner Jon Hamm also stars in the movie, along with Kristen Wiig, Adam Scott, and Megan Fox. Shooting began in 2010 in New York.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 am
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Friends with Kids
I hated this. I really hated this. It's not funny (Kristen Wiig is absolutely wasted), it's not interesting or surprising in any way dramatically, characters disappear without any explanation, and the movie ends on one of the most unintentionally funny and abrupt moments I've seen in any movie recently.

Megan Fox is the best thing about the movie.

½* (D-)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

FRIENDS WITH KIDS - 9/10 (A-)

Saw it today in Minneapolis and enjoyed it even more the second time. It's such a charming film. Jennifer Westfeldt and Adam Scott are terrific and have great chemistry. I have loved Westfeldt since "Kissing Jessica Stein" and she hasn't let me down yet. All three of her films (the other being "Ira & Abby") have been very pleasant, witty and insightful entries in the romantic comedy genre. She has a real warmth about her. The supporting cast here is fun too but this is Westfeldt and Scott's movie all the way.

Now unless I somehow missed it one thing I did notice is that the shot of the book "God Is Not Great" on her nightstand in the beginning was missing from the version released theatrically. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss it either. I wonder if this has something to do with the author passing away or if the studio insisted it be cut for other reasons. They showed the shot of "The God Delusion" on his so maybe they thought showing the other book too would be overkill.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 am
Forum General

I saw this while I was in NYC yesterday. I'm a huge fan of Kissing Jessica Stine and a moderate fan of Ira & Abby, so I was at least interested in this. Well, it wasn't good. :P What the hell was Westfelt thinking? It was an annoying movie and not a bit of it was funny. It played like a bad sitcom that was cancelled after three episodes. What a disappointment! Did Westfelt actually think the phrase "fuck this shit out of me" would be considered romantic in any setting? God lord has she hit a low, hopefully whatever she does next she picks up the pieces and turns out a great film, but I'm starting to think Kissing Jessica Stein was her one hit wonder.

5/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
I saw this while I was in NYC yesterday. I'm a huge fan of Kissing Jessica Stine and a moderate fan of Ira & Abby, so I was at least interested in this. Well, it wasn't good. :P What the hell was Westfelt thinking? It was an annoying movie and not a bit of it was funny. It played like a bad sitcom that was cancelled after three episodes. What a disappointment! Did Westfelt actually think the phrase "fuck this shit out of me" would be considered romantic in any setting? God lord has she hit a low, hopefully whatever she does next she picks up the pieces and turns out a great film, but I'm starting to think Kissing Jessica Stein was her one hit wonder.

5/10

Gross. "Fuck this shit out of me." She doesn't say that :P. It's "I want you to fuck the shit out of me." And it works in context. It's funny and actually sweet. Westfeldt hasn't made a bad movie yet. She's on a roll and I hope she keeps it up. At least it's fresh on Rotten Tomatoes ;). Not to mention it's a total crowd-pleaser. Comments on Twitter and Facebook from people who have seen it are overwhelmingly positive.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm
Superman: The Movie

That whole exchange doesn't work because of Scott and not so much Westfelt (performance wise, it didn't help that Westfelt gave Scott nothing to work with). I know he's supposed to come off a little awkward and desperate, but when he said "I want to fuck the shit out of you" and she said the equivalent back, those in my theater who weren't quite off the film's ship (the movie had completely lost me about 30 minutes before though) completely jumped overboard at the end of that. It was the completely wrong note to end the film on. It was tonally incorrect and the dialog felt right at home in an emo college play.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

A mixed bag. About half of it works, about half of it doesn't. The movie's (surprisingly minimal) attempts at comedy come across as too sitcomy, but there is some dramatically rich material here. Adam Scott is wonderful; Jennifer Westfeldt (wearing three hats here) isn't quite as strong but has her moments. The supporting cast is also solid, although Kristen Wiig literally has like four lines of dialogue. I give the movie a recommendation because I think it has some worthwhile things to say, although there are definitely problems. B-

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:37 pm
Wallflower

Libs, did you see Westfeldt's movie Ira & Abby? If not you should. I think you'd enjoy it.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:15 pm
loyalfromlondon

Yeah, that ending definitely sucked. I get that Westfeldt is trying to be edgy or whatever, but it just doesn't work here. It also doesn't help that she's not much of an actress. And yeah, the supporting cast is pretty much wasted. Meh.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm
Wallflower

There's nothing wrong with Westfeldt. She's wonderful and charming.

This movie is quite underrated.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]