Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Carnage 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Carnage 
loyalfromlondon

Post Carnage
Carnage

Quote:
Carnage is a 2011 black comedy film written and directed by Roman Polanski, based on the acclaimed play God of Carnage by French playwright Yasmina Reza. The film is an international co-production of France, Germany, Poland and Spain.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Carnage
I thought it was hilarious. I loved the way that the tension between the two couples kept slowly building and how even the smallest thing set them off at the beginning (the hamster, the use of certain words) before it just turned into all-out chaos near the end. The acting is great and all four leads work perfectly off each other. Kate Winslet in particular was absolutely hysterical especially when her character starts drinking heavily near the end (a certain moment with tulips on the table had me dying with laughter), and Jodie Foster was priceless to watch as her character's rigid exterior comes undone. John C. Reilly plays against type and I loved the complete transition his character goes through as he stops trying to be the mediator in the situation. Christoph Waltz is also great and I loved the conversation between him and Reilly's character about "flushing mechanisms" :funny: The film isn't perfect - it's definitely stagey and can get a little tiresome at points, but overall I had a blast with this one. A-

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:23 am
Profile YIM

I want that Carnage poster

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:28 pm
You are waiting for a train

It feels exactly like taping a live show would feel. A lot of the energy is just sucked out of it, as much as liked the performers (Waltz particularly), so the whole thing falls flat.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Forum General

Its turns into a raunchy comedy in the end lol...

Best part is when they start getting drunk and angry lol

Good short film

B

Who would expect Kate Winslet to say something you expect from a R Rated Comedy

"''I am glad our son kicked the sh!t out of you son and I wipe my ass with your human rights!"

lol!!!!!

:hahaha: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

This film is a riot. Such a great ensemble and all the anger and frustration worked so well. I love every member of the cast but if I had to choose a favorite it would be Christoph Waltz. His side comments always hit the mark and I love how him and Reilly basically bond in the last third while the ladies get the most bitchy at each other. It doesn't quite pass his last work, The Ghost Writer, but director Roman Polanski makes another great here. ***1/2

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This didn't really work for me, and will stand as 2011's biggest disappointment for me considering its pedigree. Something goes seriously awry in the transition from stage to screen: the movie is so slight and inconsequential but still feels maddeningly claustrophobic, even leaving aside Roman Polanski's intention for the audience to feel claustrophobic in the first place. Certain film adaptations of plays have been criticized in the past for seeming like filmed versions of their source material, but I don't usually agree with that or mind. With Carnage, however, the film does feel like watching a recording of a play, and the material's talkiness, humor and discourse are all done a disservice by the medium of film. Additionally, the premise that Waltz/Winslet would still be in this apartment after more than 15 minutes is really hard to swallow in a film version. After just 79 minutes, I really wanted to be away from the apartment in which the entire film takes place, having found myself basically annoyed throughout. The acting by the stellar ensemble is not the film's problem: Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz are particularly excellent, while John C. Reilly is fine. Jodie Foster, surprisingly, might be the weak link: she arguably has the most difficult role to play but her meltdown at the halfway point didn't ring that true to me (she has some very good moments though). There are some good lines and some great scattered moments, to be sure, but Carnage is marred by its awkward transitions and general lack of believability as a film. C

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:07 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I guess nobody involved knew this was supposed to be a comedy. The dreadful acting, Libs, by four actors who never even seem to be sharing the same space is definitely a problem.

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:27 am
loyalfromlondon

I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny, but then I haven't seen the play.

It's true it never really takes off and escapes the stigma of feeling like a filmed play, but I still liked it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:55 pm
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny, but then I haven't seen the play.

It's true it never really takes off and escapes the stigma of feeling like a filmed play, but I still liked it.

My thoughts exactly. I think the whole thing probably just works better as a play.

Oh and while Foster and Winslet were nominated for the Globes, I think Waltz ruled this.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

This has one of the worst endings in recent memory. It just ends. Right when it's getting good too. The movie was at its best once everyone started drinking. While it's essentially pretty ridiculous (It's more than a little hard to believe they wouldn't have just left long ago) and tiresome, it's also fairly entertaining with some great performances by Winslet, Foster, and Waltz (John C. Reilly was the weakest link here). Oddly enough I was annoyed with it during the first part and found it almost excruciating to be around these people, but eventually I got into it. Not a great movie and definitely too stagey, but worth a look.

6/10 (B-)

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 am
Forum General

I can't believe I've never posted my thoughts for this. :P

I thought it was one of the best movies of last year. It was probably the second funniest movie of the year, that's for sure. Everyone is great in it and it's just so, so funny.

9/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 pm