Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Restless 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Restless 
loyalfromlondon

Post Restless
Restless

Quote:
Restless is a 2011 British-American drama film directed by Gus Van Sant and written by Jason Lew. It stars Henry Hopper and Mia Wasikowska. Shot in Portland, Oregon, United States, and produced by Bryce Dallas Howard, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer for Columbia Pictures and Imagine Entertainment, it was released by Sony Pictures Classics on September 16, 2011. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival on May 12.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Restless
I like Gus Van Sant. I like his experimental stuff and I like his mainstream stuff. I think he's one of the more interesting filmmakers of the last 20 years, even if the reaction to his work (specifically the experimental stuff) is generally mixed and uncertain.

With that said, this is a terrible fucking movie. If it was anyone other than Van Sant - Adam Shankman, for instance, or Nick Cassavetes - I'd pass it off as merely something not worth anyone's time. But because this is from the man behind Gerry and Elephant and the Psycho remake, I'm honestly perplexed. I can't tell if this is meant to be a parody of cancer romance films or if Van Sant briefly lost his mind and decided to make as banal and lifeless a film as possible.

Frankly, there's really nothing noteworthy or redeeming about the movie at all. It's an ugly, artless film, full of baffling stylistic choices and pointless scenes. A stereotypical romance montage squeezed in the middle is laughably generic and meaningless. A subplot involving a kamikaze ghost adds basically nothing to the proceedings. There's a lot of empty rhetoric about life and death and love, but it's dealt with so flippantly and carelessly you can't be sure it's not a joke. Hopper shows none of his father's talent (and looks like an emo twerp to boot) and I'm quickly growing tired of Wasikowska's brand of twee hipster acting. If I didn't have a crush on Schuyler Fisk, I'd call the whole thing a complete wash.

So yeah, bad movie. Avoid at all costs.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:20 am
Pure Phase

Wrong. Best movie of the year so far. Dreamy and achingly beautiful. I saw it a second time before getting in line for a concert a few days ago. The cinematic equivalent of a great Smiths song.

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=451

I love how trixster notes the Psycho remake over Drugstore Cowboy or My Own Private Idaho (!) or Last Days. Pretentious bastard. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:41 am
loyalfromlondon

I haven't seen Van Sant's early stuff. And his Psycho is arguably the most experimental film he's made.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:44 am
We had our time together

I thought it was a sweet little movie with charming performances, especially from Wasikowska, who I slowly become a fan of. B

Sat May 26, 2012 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

B/B-

Cute little movie.

Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]