Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Warrior 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Warrior 
loyalfromlondon

Post Warrior
Warrior

Quote:
Warrior is a 2011 American action drama film about mixed martial arts released on September 9, 2011 by Lionsgate. It stars Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte, Joel Edgerton, Justin Berg, Jennifer Morrison, and wrestler Kurt Angle. The film was directed by Gavin O'Connor and produced by Greg O'Connor.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:12 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Warrior
Seriously? No one else saw this? :( Come on, KJ denizens.

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=416

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 am
Pure Phase

All right, bitches, it's on DVD and Blu-ray now. See Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte give two of the year's most primal, powerful, affecting performances.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Have to agree. I thought the previews indicated this would be another crappy Never Back Down or WWE type tie-in trash, with Tapout playing the WWE role. Was very surprised at how good it was, especially Tom Hardy. Perhaps BKB should watch this for a reason why Tom Hardy can play Bane.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Tom Hardy really embraced his inner Brando on this one. What a beast.

I thought it was great. Embraced its family dynamics without exploiting them and overdoing it à la The Fighter. Again, it's the Rocky formula, this time transferred to MMA (and doubled), but when the film is working at such a high level, it hardly matters.

One small qualm: casting Bryan Callen (one of the most annoying men on the planet) as himself as one of the play-by-play guys nearly ruined the intensity and effectiveness of the fight scenes. Luckily he was muted for the final clash.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:24 pm
Pure Phase

I'm glad you both enjoyed it. :)

The song by the National at the end of the film is free on Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/About-Today/dp/B002QWMQSY/

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm
We had our time together

I'm very surprised by how good this was. It's an amazing film with standout performances by Nolte and Hardy. Definately one of the best movies 2011. A-

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

A well made film, better then a lot of the Oscar nominees this year.

Its a film for the general audience then for the award crowd.
Its a film about redemption, suffering and family.
Fight scenes were great but nothing amazing or special but were good. The emotional aspect of the fight really elevated the film.

Some people would rather have seen one brother kick the ass out of another and go "Yippie", however the ending was quite nice and heart warming.

It is a solid film, has some flaws, emotional, entertaining.

A-

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

This is a prime candidate for a film that is dismissed.

Me: oh a fighting movie? Piss off!
Movie: Watch
Me: Holy Crap this is awesome
Movie: Suck my cock
Me: NO! ........ wait you are really good............ok maybe

Yea this film is amazing.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 pm
Forum General

the film's box office is a bit low but it found success afterwards.

Its getting a lot of love on IMDB.

Many people deride IMDB, but a movie has over a 8.0 rating on that site, people are way more willing to check a film out (me and my friends lol)...

A lot of people thought it was going to be another bloated Rocky copy cat film.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

WARRIOR - 9/10 (A-)

Surprisingly fantastic and much better than "The Fighter." I almost didn't see this because of how similar it looked to that recent movie but I'm so glad I did. "Warrior" is an incredibly moving and exciting drama. Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton are great (I personally found Edgerton better though), and Nick Nolte is incredible in his supporting role. The fight scenes are so well-done and nerve-racking. It's kind of a shame "The Fighter" was a hit and got so many nominations at the Academy Awards and this only scored one nomination and went largely unseen. Really great movie!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:38 am
Another You

Best sports drama for me since Raging Bull and a whole lot better than the Rocky series, M$B, The Fighter etc. While there's nothing amazing in the fight scenes on a technical aspect, it's the performances and emotional aspect of the film that brought it to a different level. The entire final fight was so emotionally powerful, I cried like a baby during those 10 mins.

It's funny that I just saw STinker Tailor Soldier Spy (which I thought was the worst film of last year that I've seen) a few days ago, and then this -one of the best of 2011 plus, both films starred Tom Hardy, lol.

A-

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 am
Another You

Magnus wrote:
2001 wrote:
It's funny that I just saw STinker Tailor Soldier Spy (which I thought was the worst film of last year that I've seen)

:ban:

I also think Drive is vastly overrated. I should be banned for life..

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 pm
Another You

If Promethues isn't in my Top 3 of the year.....I won't post for a day. :whaa:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:59 pm
Forum General

I thought Promethues was interesting but it appears the movie is about stooping aliens from attacking...

Rather then aliens attacking...

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Half of a great movie. Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte are indeed excellent actors and their story is heartfelt and poignant. Unfortunately, the other brother's story quickly veers into implausibility. It's easy to have sympathy for a teacher getting screwed over by the banks... It's a lot harder when the guy acts the way he does (expecting to be able to get his face pummeled and be a public teacher? Yeah right.) and has a wife who just can't act period. Their melodramatic story becomes terribly unrealistic as Mr. C continues to win fight after fight despite not seeming to train nearly as hard as his brother. The way his former class does silly little dances after each of his wins also inadvertently shows the disturbing effects that having a role model who beats people up for a living can have on kids, while the fact that this guy could supposedly become the champion diminishes the value of UFC by making it seem so easy.

The dramatic scenes are great, but honestly seem passed over for monotonous fight scenes as the movie progresses. I prefer The Fighter's approach of using the fight scenes as a means to show the complex family dynamics.

C+

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 pm
Pure Phase

MovieDude wrote:
also inadvertently shows the disturbing effects that having a role model who beats people up for a living can have on kids

You must have been pulling your hair out during Cinderella Man. :P

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:56 am
Where will you be?

David wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
also inadvertently shows the disturbing effects that having a role model who beats people up for a living can have on kids

You must have been pulling your hair out during Cinderella Man. :P

At least I don't recall Cinderella Man cutting to multiple scenes of his children bouncing around, yelling
"C'mon Mr. C, choke out that Russian! This is so much mo' fun than physics!" :oops:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:35 am
Forum General

people did not catch this in theaters but a lot of my friends and coworkers liked it.

Really is a film for everyone especially for general audiences.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Hmmm, well, it was a little frustrating. It could have been greatness and possibly one of the best fighting movies ever, but it wimped out. The story was a great one, I liked it a lot, and I liked Tom Hardy; he revels in a performance that he was born to do, and Nick Nolte was the best I've ever seen him. Edgerton was also good in his role, but I fail to see how he could have even stood a chance against anyone that he fought, let alone the animalistic Hardy. This is where it went astray, for me.

The film needed a better and longer training segment that really showed some fighting tactics (and not just Edgerton eventually running faster than a black man). It also needed more realistic fights. When someone got hit in the face, it cut to them being on the ground or a fast edit where nothing was visable. Great premise, but poorly executed, which is really tragic as the performances were terrific and the film had its heart in the right place.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Watched it again. I'm still shaking. What a great great movie this is. I seriously was catching breath for a minute after the Koba fight, that's how immersed I was.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Hollywood soap opera version of an 80s Van Damme flick. I laughed and cringed a lot, especially during the final fight.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

This is a Lifetime movie for men. But it is a very effective one. The emotional punches it pulls more than compensates the over-calculating melodramatic plot.

B

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:54 pm
now we know

Gamaur wrote:
A lot of people (including Algren) incorrectly point out that it's unbelievable how Edgerton's character beat Hardy and all the other guys.
Hey! Why'd you pick me out??!

Gamaur wrote:
The writers spent a lot of time researching different MMA fighters to ensure they represented the sport accurately, and both brothers where loosely based around real life fighters with similar builds. In Hardy's case, it was Frank and Ken Shamrock, both of whom are extremely muscular and powerful strikers. Edgerton is based around the infamous Royce Gracie, who wasn't a big guy but was a master grappler and BJJ guru, and beat numerous fighters twice his size through his physical resilience and submissions. Real fighters often only look a little bigger than average, especially in the middle weight division shown in the film.
I cannot believe a guy that writes 'where' when they should have wrote 'were'.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

I love this movie.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 pm
Profile WWW