Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rise of the Planet of the Apes 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 12 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

loyalfromlondon

Post Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Quote:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a 2011 American science fiction film directed by Rupert Wyatt. The film stars James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow and Andy Serkis. It is a reboot of the Planet of the Apes series that will act as a foundation with an origin story for a new film series. Its premise is similar to the fourth film in the original series, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972), but it is not a direct remake in that it does not fit into that series' continuity. It was released in the United States, Canada and India on August 5, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
It's actually quite good, and better than I was expecting, considering the dodgy trailers.

Where the film succeeds most, I think, is in the portrayal of the apes, specifically Caesar, who is by far the most fully realized and three-dimensional character in the film. If we didn't already know what Serkis was capable of, it'd be an astounding performance, made even moreso by the (almost) complete lack of dialogue and subsequent emphasis on facial expressions and body movements. In fact, it's the scenes between apes, in which thoughts and feelings and plot developments are communicated completely non-verbally (except for a bit of goofy subtitled sign language, which admittedly made me laugh), that are the true standouts. It's a rather amazing combination of performance and special effect, turning these apes into fleshed-out individuals. A somewhat clichéd death scene, which would be fairly unmemorable in any other film, is perhaps the most moving moment of the entire thing. And it's entirely because of the motion-capture effects. This is what Avatar was meant to be like.

Unfortunately, the human bits of the film drag it down, perhaps appropriate considering the subject matter. The lab stuff is pretty standard sci-fi nonsense, though thankfully the film doesn't dwell too much on it. The homelife scenes work, mostly due to Lithgow and Caesar, but they're clearly just a placeholder for later events. Most of the human actors don't add much: Franco doesn't do anything, Freida Pinto is totally meaningless, Brian Cox is a complete waste, and Tom Felton is just reduced to playing Draco Malfoy again, albeit with a slight tan and borderline American accent. If it weren't for the apes, it'd be a wash.

The big action sequence is suitably thrilling, even if it ends rather abruptly (as does the film) without much of a conclusion. I wanted more ape uprising, but there's clearly a set-up for a sequel/new franchise, which I wouldn't be opposed to. The film even explains how the apes are able to overrun the obviously technologically superior human race, economically tying it in to the very means of their increased intelligence. And there's some clever nods to the original film, which I'm always in favour of.

So yeah, I was expecting the worst, but this is an exciting and entertaining blockbuster. A great popcorn flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 pm
Superfreak

theres about 10 minutes of action.

but its a good movie.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:13 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Surprisingly one of the stronger films of the summer season. The visual effects are spectacular and Andy Serkis does an amazing job. The Golden Gate Bridge sequence is one of the better action movie moments of the year. My biggest problem with it was the very end. I wish they could have ended it on the downbeat note I thought it was headed towards, and while the ending isn't necessarily "happy," I could have done without the soaring musical score and the final line between Caeser and Franco. It came off as cheesy and unbelievable. Still though, definitely worth checking out. It's a lot of fun. B+

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am
Profile YIM
Another You

This was really entertaining. Caesar has become the most engaging CG character both technically and emotionally in a live-action film in quite some time. As soon as the apes escape and bring chaos to the city, it was bananas! lol Scenes beforehand in the facility were equally awesome too, I'll never get tired of animals beating the shit out of "bad" people. The final scene is a perfect set-up for a sequel, which will be huge. I haven't seen the '68 original in a long time so the only reference that I recognized was the Statue of Liberty replica which Caesar was holding in particular scene.

It still surprises me that this will end up being a more statisfying summer film than HP7 2.

B+

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:17 pm
Draughty

Good fun, could have been very good if they had gone for more realism at key moments. Too many times things were too easy and quick and coincidental and the boss was a walking (and poorly acted) deus ex machina. But definitely better than Tim Burton's Apes franchise entry, this was an entertaining trip to the movies.

So far this year I'd rank Sci Fi/Fantasy films....

Super 8
Potter 7pt2
XMen FC
Source Code
Apes
Adjustment Bureau
Transformers 3
Cowboys and Aliens

While I understand Caesar is the subject of the film, the protagonist was Franco's character for most of the movie and the writing lost sight of that towards the last half hour as he became more of a passive observer. You might say well it had to be that way given the subject but I think good writers could have found a way to make his story more interesting. The "prison" scenes, while understandable, went on forever and got boring. Also the audience laughed a number of times at unintentionally funny things including a certain developmental progress Caesar exhibited towards the end. But the movie had many good aspects and was much better than it could have been.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Where was the awesome, hospital-scene-in-The-Dark-Knight-esque shot from the trailer of Franco driving away from an exploding building?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 pm
Extraordinary

Liked it a whole heck of a lot.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:26 pm
Pure Phase

There's another shot in the trailer not in the movie: Caesar tenderly embracing a (presumably female?) ape in a lab setting. I wonder if there's a much longer cut of this movie waiting for its DVD/Blu-ray release this fall.

My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=368

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:30 pm
Sbil

No doubt one of the most positive surprises of the summer, Rise of the Planet of the Apes overcomes a lot of pre-release baggage to be a solidly entertaining popcorn movie. It also has more quiet moments of "humanism" at the expense of unnecessary action scenes, which I appreciated. The human actors are fine (James Franco doesn't really have to stretch his abilities here but he's competent), but it's Andy Serkis who is truly remarkable. In a just world, he would receive an Oscar nomination for this. Also, the special effects are superb. B+

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:35 pm
College Boy Z

This was pretty awesome. I'm really surprised.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 pm
Extraordinary

You shouldn't be surprised, people. Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes were very good movies after all.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:11 am
Pure Phase

The original is felled by Heston's absolutely awful performance, though.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 am
Extraordinary

Heston's perfectly over-the-top in the original. How can you not have fun with that performance?

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:20 am
loyalfromlondon

Gunslinger wrote:
The original is felled by Heston's absolutely awful performance, though.

You did NOT just diss Charlton.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:23 am
Pure Phase

His laughably ham & cheese performance just feels too removed from what is otherwise a very solid, adventurous, paranoid sci-fi movie.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:25 am
Extraordinary

You totally went into that movie with the wrong attitude. Planet of the Apes is a giant Twilight Zone movie, and Heston's performance is perfect for it.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:28 am
loyalfromlondon

The whole film is OTT. From Goldsmith's atonal score to the goofy makeup to Schaffner's crazed direction (it's all about the insane zooms). Heston fits right in.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:28 am
loyalfromlondon

Or, what TDS said.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:29 am
Sbil

We should just go back to dissing Heston (RIP) for his NRA presidency.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 am
Extraordinary

It's actually quite amusing that end of his life hardcore right-winger Charlton Heston starred in the uber-liberal POTA.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:34 am
loyalfromlondon

And his only scene consisted of warning Tim Roth about the dangers of guns.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:36 am
Pure Phase

Apparently Roth was super-hesitant and reluctant to share the screen with Heston until he read the scene.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:37 am
On autopilot for the summer

hmm, this is an odd one. As a stand alone film, its actually very engaging. As an Apes film it kind of doesn't live up to its name
Spoiler: show
I mean they didn't really rise up at the end, more of an extreme escape to leave in a free land. But there isn't really many of them for me to think they could really ever take over a planet

But other than that minor qualm and Draco Malfoy being downright terrible in his first big Non Potter role, I really enjoyed a lot of it. I think the Apes title gave it more box office, but this is an entirely different kind of film. More like an updated Elephant Man.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:02 pm
Draughty

I don't think you need to worry about spoilers. Anyone reading reviews before they see a film is risking seeing spoilers anyway.

As to your comment about there not being enough of them. There doesn't need to be. Did you stay through the credits? There is extra footage more or less explaining how the apes take over without further war.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next