Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Friends with Benefits 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Friends with Benefits 
loyalfromlondon

Post Friends with Benefits
Friends with Benefits

Quote:
Friends with Benefits is a 2011 American romantic comedy film directed by Will Gluck and starring Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake. The film features an ensemble cast which includes Woody Harrelson, Bryan Greenberg, Jenna Elfman, Richard Jenkins, Emma Stone and Patricia Clarkson. The plot revolves around Jamie (Kunis) and Dylan (Timberlake), who meet in New York City and naively believe adding sex to their relationship will not lead to complications. Over time they begin to develop deep mutual feelings for each other, only to deny it each time they are together.

Principal casting for the film took place over a three-month period from April to July 2010. Gluck reworked the original script and plot shortly after casting Timberlake and Kunis. Filming began in New York City on July 20, 2010, and concluded in Los Angeles in September 2010. The film was distributed by Screen Gems and was released in North America on July 22, 2011. Friends with Benefits was generally well received by film critics, and became a commercial success at the box office grossing over $149.5 million worldwide. It was nominated for two People's Choice Awards: one for best comedy and one for Mila Kunis as Best Comedy Actress.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:09 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Friends with Benefits
Friends with Benefits will no doubt be compared to No Strings Attached and if I had to choose which would be better, it would be Friends with Benefits. Sure the film has plenty of predictable moments but it doesn't feel as cliche as No Strings was. Also Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis work better together than Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. The film, which is from the same director as Easy A, keeps a lot of the charm his last film had and really doesn't have much drag. I was kind of surprised that some serious issues were tackled in this film but it is worked out well. All the guest appearances in this film were top notch (I especially want to own the Jason Segel and Rashida Jones movie series that was shown). It is a great film entry into what should be a great summer for comedies. ***

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Does Timberlake indeed show his buttocks in the film?

What serious issues are tackled in the film?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 am
Pure Phase

Similar to No Strings Attached (Greta Gerwig), if I ever see this it'll be for a supporting player (Woody Harrelson).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:27 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Mike wrote:

Spoiler: show
Yes as does Ms. Kunis.

Basically the big serious issue is that Justin Timberlake's dad, played by Richard Jenkins, has Alzheimer's and it has a bit of an emotional toll on Timberlake.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

jmovies wrote:
Mike wrote:

Spoiler: show
Yes as does Ms. Kunis.

Basically the big serious issue is that Justin Timberlake's dad, played by Richard Jenkins, has Alzheimer's and it has a bit of an emotional toll on Timberlake.

Timberlake's buttocks? ummm tempting!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 pm
Pure Phase

Damn, Richard Jenkins just played an old-sick-dad-in-bed in another romantic comedy (the crappy Waiting for Forever). Typecast!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:29 am
You must have big rats

Also, in a way, in Dear John.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I saw this last week and I was really not the biggest fan of it. I'm a huge fan of Easy A and the cast, so I was expecting a good movie but I was disappointed. It was disjointed and didn't know what kind of movie is wanted to be (Patricia Clarkson's character is one of the most unneeded characters EVER). Did enjoy seeing Justin's ass though.

5/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Friends with Benefits makes good use out of a sharp screenplay and winning lead performances from Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis, who have genuine and pronounced chemistry. It obviously comes right on the heels of No Strings Attached; I was a fan of that film, and Friends with Benefits "wins" by a nose because of a stronger connection between its leads. I'm an unapologetic JT fan and he pulls off his role with aplomb: he's charming and cute (and I'm certainly not complaining about seeing his butt multiple times). Kunis, who has never been anything less than delightful in most projects, is terrific and fresh. An excellent supporting cast also surrounds these two, including Patricia Clarkson, Richard Jenkins, Woody Harrelson and Jenna Elfman (not annoying me for once). Director Will Gluck is now two for two after his Easy A last year. B+

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:59 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Overlong, but overall I had a good time. Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis have a great, natural chemistry that makes this movie as successful as it is. The supporting players are all pretty excellent, especially Patricia Clarkson and Richard Jenkins. Fun cameos from the likes of Emma Stone, Jason Segal, Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg all provide a great deal of laughs. I could have done without certain plot elements (the whole portion of the story with Bryan Greenberg's character was useless and should have been excised) and overall I think I preferred this past winter's No Strings Attached, but this is definitely one of the better films of the summer and worth checking out. B+

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:58 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

It's a solid B romcom. Makes up for cliches by equally making fun of cliches.

Thought Timberlake was actually great in this. I didn't like his Social Network performance much, he always felt like Justin Timberlake and not Sean Parker in that movie and I expected that's how his movie career would go. But here he disappears into his character and just becomes Dylan.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's a romcom that doesn't want to be exactly like every other romcom so it's only mostly like every other romcom.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:41 pm
Wallflower

Maybe it's because I had low expectations due to friends not liking this one, but I LOVED it! I thought it was really funny, sweet, and sexy. Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis had great chemistry. It was better than No Strings Attached, IMO, which I also enjoyed.

8/10 (A-)

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 am
Draughty

The story is your average predictable romcom fodder. But Mila Kunis is very charming, the most I have ever liked her, and Timberlake is pretty good in his role, and together they have more chemistry than you usually see in the genre.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Loved the first half, hated the second.

Mila and Justin are just too cute and the whole set-up was delicious.

Then they went and got all serious and killed the damn thing.

3 out of 5.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 am
Extraordinary

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the recurring joke about Harry Potter fanboys being gay! :yes:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 pm
now we know

Yeah, I'm getting my dose of rom-coms recently. I'm testing the water, seeing if anything has changed in the rom-com game since Notting Hill. Well, it has changed, but not for the better. While these movies are good and they are well made, it's only because they all follow the same generic formula that it'd be near impossible to fail. Rom-coms used to be at least a little more original. This is one of the most generic rom-coms you'll find, and while Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake try to offer up something different with quick sharp dialogue and cool, confident, off-the-cuff characters, it's still the same old rom-com shit.

The best part of this, as always with rom-coms, is the kooky friend or supporting character. Richard Jenkins is awesome in it as Timberlake's father, as is Woody Harrelson as the crazy gay sports editor. In fact, Justin Timberlake isn't bad either, but Mila Kunis, while hot, is just super annoying. I'd hate to date a girl like that, she's so cocky and arrogant. I couldn't stand her incessant smart-ass, I've-always-got-an-answer-ready attitude. This film tries to offer up rules for rom-coms too, and it falls into the trap of its own rule; playing music at the end that makes you feel good so you feel better about the shit that you've just watched.

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I enjoyed the recurring joke about Harry Potter fanboys being gay!

Yes, me too, funny.

Kunis has to start doing something with her career soon, because while she's hot now (and she knows it), that won't last forever, just ask Sharon Stone and Courteney Cox. Trixster was correct with his summation: It's a romcom that doesn't want to be exactly like every other romcom so it's only mostly like every other romcom.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]